The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

lenient?

How lenient is University of Sheffield for business management degree, does anyone know? I'm sadly expecting to miss my conditional offer by 3 grade points, so asked for AAB but expecting BBC
Original post by tmallinder
How lenient is University of Sheffield for business management degree, does anyone know? I'm sadly expecting to miss my conditional offer by 3 grade points, so asked for AAB but expecting BBC

Nobody can know, not even the university itself. Many people are accepted if they drop a little, but 3 grades is quite a big ask, and they may feel they can do better through Clearing.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Nobody can know, not even the university itself. Many people are accepted if they drop a little, but 3 grades is quite a big ask, and they may feel they can do better through Clearing.

Yes i agree, just ended up being really unsupported at my college which I feel has let down my grades. Thanks for your honesty, I think you are probably right! Gutted as I really wanted Uni of Sheffield too and know I haven't done as well as I had hoped as got awful coursework mark!
Yes i agree, just ended up being really unsupported at my college which I feel has let down my grades. Thanks for your honesty, I think you are probably right! Gutted as I really wanted Uni of Sheffield too and know I haven't done as well as I had hoped as got awful coursework mark!

Honesty is always the best policy in giving advice on these forums, as you can then be prepared to take action. Also, pessimists are always pleasantly surprised, unlike optimists. I will say, though, that we are often not the best judge of how well or badly we have done, and it's a good idea to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
If you're really close to the grade boundaries it's not unheard of
Well I dropped 3 grades for law which is one of the more pickier courses I expect so anything can happen I guess
Reply 6
Original post by neal95
Well I dropped 3 grades for law which is one of the more pickier courses I expect so anything can happen I guess

Thanks that gives me some small hope then!
well done!
Thanks that gives me some small hope then!
well done!

It helps if Sheffield were either your firm or insurance I am guessing? Is the uni your firm?
Reply 8
Original post by neal95
It helps if Sheffield were either your firm or insurance I am guessing? Is the uni your firm?

Yes, Sheffield is my firm and has always been my favourite. I just had a bad year at college with unsupportive teachers and they/I let myself down in a major piece of coursework so now I'm not able to get my B in history

I know at Sheffield there are lots of variations on the business management degree so I'm just hoping that the straight BM course isn't over subscribed BUT I think that I may be kidding myself here!

Do you enjoy Sheffield?

Other problem is that I'm sure I will now get my insurance choice and I'm not sure I even want to go there now!
Yes, Sheffield is my firm and has always been my favourite. I just had a bad year at college with unsupportive teachers and they/I let myself down in a major piece of coursework so now I'm not able to get my B in history

I know at Sheffield there are lots of variations on the business management degree so I'm just hoping that the straight BM course isn't over subscribed BUT I think that I may be kidding myself here!

Do you enjoy Sheffield?

Other problem is that I'm sure I will now get my insurance choice and I'm not sure I even want to go there now!

As its your firm I reckon you are pretty likely to get in because there are lots of business courses at different unis and now unis have no cap on the numbers they can admit. Plus, Sheffield want to massively expand their campus in the coming years and to do this they need more students. Sheffield is decent I find it pretty enjoyable there is a lot of restaurants and he nightlife is pretty good but probably not as good as somewhere like Leeds or even Birmingham (maybe). It's a nice easy city to get about in as a student tbh as you will only need to use the tram to get from the information commons up to the train station and or maybe Meadowhall, unless you go and watch Wednesday or Sheffield United you won't really explore other areas barring maybe the Peak District lol
Reply 10
Original post by neal95
As its your firm I reckon you are pretty likely to get in because there are lots of business courses at different unis and now unis have no cap on the numbers they can admit. Plus, Sheffield want to massively expand their campus in the coming years and to do this they need more students. Sheffield is decent I find it pretty enjoyable there is a lot of restaurants and he nightlife is pretty good but probably not as good as somewhere like Leeds or even Birmingham (maybe). It's a nice easy city to get about in as a student tbh as you will only need to use the tram to get from the information commons up to the train station and or maybe Meadowhall, unless you go and watch Wednesday or Sheffield United you won't really explore other areas barring maybe the Peak District lol

that's so helpful thanks so much. I hear the nightlife is fab and that it is a really friendly city! I'm not as hopeful as you as to my chances not now that I genuinely think that I will only achieve BBC
that's so helpful thanks so much. I hear the nightlife is fab and that it is a really friendly city! I'm not as hopeful as you as to my chances not now that I genuinely think that I will only achieve BBC

Yeah it is proper friendly I have never ran into any trouble with locals...their really down to earth and polite and you can easily strike up a convo in a pub for example. I wouldn't worry too much as there is this article I was reading http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/08/07/universities-offer-buy-one-get-one-free-degrees/

And in it there is a link to a times article which will show you an excerpt telling you about how unis are expanding and are willing to slash grades. I believe that was the reason I got in last year to!
You could reject your insurance choice and resit if you're really passionate about Sheffield, there are plenty of gap years or resit students around so starting at 19 isn't uncommon.

As for the university expanding, it's only really the engineering faculty and very small departments that have expanded recently, the other departments have had fairly constant enrolment numbers. This will change over the coming years with the development of the new social sciences building but this won't have a massive effect on admission of management students as it's mostly being made built so the engineering faculty can take over the buildings on the east side of campus and reduce overcrowding as a lot of social sciences lectures are in the new engineering building and thus loads of social scientists study there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending