The Student Room Group

Cambridge college help

I want to apply for Computer Science. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, and Computer Science A Levels, but I took my Maths A Level early and missed the A* by 3 marks. I'm predicted 3 A*s for this year, including my maths resit. (Un)fortunately, I do have extenuating circumstances so the grade may not be a problem. For anyone else who has been in this position, which college is likely to be most lenient? I am also a state school student, and my priority is applying to a college that has a chance of accepting me rather than one I'd prefer to live at. Especially given that I am applying for the single most competitive program in existence!
Reply 1
Original post by Nerdonymous
I want to apply for Computer Science. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, and Computer Science A Levels, but I took my Maths A Level early and missed the A* by 3 marks. I'm predicted 3 A*s for this year, including my maths resit. (Un)fortunately, I do have extenuating circumstances so the grade may not be a problem. For anyone else who has been in this position, which college is likely to be most lenient? I am also a state school student, and my priority is applying to a college that has a chance of accepting me rather than one I'd prefer to live at. Especially given that I am applying for the single most competitive program in existence!

This page might be helpful --> https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/computer_science_subject_requirements.pdf
I'd assume the colleges that say 'A-Level Mathematics' won't require A* maths, though they would probs prefer it,
and if you think you can get A* in Further Maths then maybe consider the ones that say 'A* in Maths OR Further Maths'.
Not sure if this means they are technically more lenient though! Good luck :smile:
Original post by Nerdonymous

You should speak to a few Colleges about your situation and see what they say. Some might take the view that you are only taking 2 A levels and one minor resit, which might not demonstrate the ability to manage the workload of Cambridge. They might stick rigidly to the '3 in one sitting' preference. However, you can describe your circumstances directly to them, which you don't have to do on here, so ask a few to find out. You might try Homerton, Selwyn and Fitzwilliam (more understanding Colleges).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending