The Student Room Group

Buying cigarettes for first time

I know it's bad for me but unfortunately I can't help being an 18 year old who ignores sensible advice.

I smoked years ago due to peer Pressure and only twice I really want to try it now I'm just worried about buying the cigarettes. I've never bought them before and don't know which brand I should go with for a start and also I'm worried about buying them I don't know why but I feel like I will get embarrassed asking for cigarettes and the cashier will judge me even though they've served heaps of people asking for cigarettes. I over think things all the time. What should I do about asking for cigarettes and which brand should I choose? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't
Go to the counter... Be confident. Tell the shopkeeper that you heard kim Kardashian talking about cancer and now you want it too. Make sure you ask for Vogue's or even something classier like sterling silver. If you need a lighter, again, be confident... tell the shopkeeper you want a clipper (be colour specific). Make sure you squint like a cowboy when you take your first drag.
I hope this helps. If you'd like any more advice on how to increase your 'tramp chic', i'd be happy to post details of correct butane inhalation techniques, as well as words to use in such scenarios, such as "faaaarrrrk".
All the best.
Reply 3
I wouldn't recommend buying them at all! There are countless health problems along with the expense of buying them. Many people find it very difficult to quit ... Why do you want to start again?
If you're desperate to smoke something, don't let it be cigarettes

Buy a vape on Amazon. Much cheaper in the long run and (probably) not as bad for your health either
Reply 5
I'm 18 aswell. If I want cheap yet decent **** I'll buy Benson and Hedges Blue. It's like £3.50 for a 10 deck. Other than that, probably Sovereign Blue which is like a pound more. Right now I'm rolling my own though, ridiculously cheaper however for me I've found them a lot more addictive than normal cigarettes. I currently use Amber Leaf however I might sway over to Golden Virginia to test the water.

Be confident when you go up to the shop keeper, it's not like you're underage or anything. There's nothing to worry about. In the end, buying tobacco is perfectly legal and they're making money from it.
Original post by Anonymous
I know it's bad for me but unfortunately I can't help being an 18 year old who ignores sensible advice.

I smoked years ago due to peer Pressure and only twice I really want to try it now I'm just worried about buying the cigarettes. I've never bought them before and don't know which brand I should go with for a start and also I'm worried about buying them I don't know why but I feel like I will get embarrassed asking for cigarettes and the cashier will judge me even though they've served heaps of people asking for cigarettes. I over think things all the time. What should I do about asking for cigarettes and which brand should I choose? Thanks

I personally go for Lambert & Butler blue ... they're very common. Still on the cheaper end of the scale at £7.10 for a 19 pack but ultimately pretty easy to smoke and don't leave a horrible scorchy aftertaste in your mouth like some of the £6 a pack jobs. Some brands will end up costing you over £9 a deck so be careful what you ask for as you don't want to get stung cash wise :smile:
well i can obviously tell u all the negatives of smoking, but i'm sure u know already.
buy something light like vogue cause its less harmful, also try flavored like Dun-hill mint, but if i was u id go for vape or shisha they dont leave a nasty taste afterwards.
Reply 8
Just to add somevariety in contrast to everyone not answering the question and lecturing...

It depends on several things; cost, flavour, type, strength
If you want to be cheap they're going to be **** regardless so go for something like chesterfield [used to be a premier brand] otherwise pall mall, winstons
If on the other hand you want superior ones i'dsay [from high street brands] Dunhill is the best, blue if you havent smoked before.
for flavour theres everything from cloves [djajurum] menthol [all of them ] roasted [lucky strike] chocolate/vanilla [red devil] etc.
menthol, clove, regular or if you dont know go for switch ones [you can turn them into menthol at will]
strength well if you arent used to nicotine id void things like malboro reds, dunhill red, davidoff and well anything that isnt blue or white really as you'll probably just feel ill...
Enjoy (Y)
I'll answer your question, because I know withholding info isn't going to change your decision, but first I'd feel irresponsible not to try and scare you off first, so please read this whole thing out of respect for the time I have taken to write this, instead of just skipping to the answer you want.. SMOKING IS BAD :mob: No for real though, I started smoking just to try it out, everyone I knew who smoked said don't even start, you DO NOT want to play with this kind of fire. But I felt assured, independent and (cliched and ridiculous as it sounds) pretty cool smoking cigarettes. and you start to get comfortable with it, you don't realise you're becoming addicted, at this early stage you really believe you're smoking only because you feel like it, and not because the nicotine in that cigarette is changing your brain's reward system and taking it over. then the next thing you know you've been smoking for a few years now, you don't even feel anything when you smoke, you're just preventing yourself feeling like utter ****, you don't exercise or partake in football matches with your friends out of the sheer embarrassment of being winded 5 mins into exercise, your lung capacity is cut in half and you walk around like you have a tourniquet on your chest, when you try and quit, you feel like you've lost the ability of higher thought, kind of like having the flu without any of the mucus.. for a couple of weeks, and you are so cranky you literally at times feel capable of murder for something as benign as someone not hearing what you said properly. You feel ashamed that you are in behavior no different to a heroin addict. When you finally do quit, you have the looming fear for the rest of your life knowing one cigarette will send you into that same cycle all over again. Because nicotine really is that damn powerful and destructive. And you spend the rest of your life trying to ward off anyone from making the same decision you made years ago, knowing they'll start smoking anyway and almost definitely regret it later on. And that's how it is 8/10 times. Because everybody is so egotistical they actually think they won't get addicted, that others are just weak-minded or weren't smart and cautious enough to keep their habit in check. When we start, we just can't fathom how one occasional cigarette, or pack, turns into thousands, but that is how it turns out far more often than not, NOBODY starts smoking thinking they'll get addicted. But most end up being addicted. So my advice, don't start, not even as a 'once a month' thing. It will not stay like that for long, regardless of who you think you are.

That said, the cashier won't judge you, heck I've gone into shops at age 15 and bought a pack, and the ones that served me served me like I was buying a chocolate bar, the ones that asked for ID were all apologetic and all 'ah I'm sorry we can't serve you without ID'. Never have I felt judged for my habit by cashiers. Cashiers are generally nice people if you don't act like a knobhead. Just be polite, slightly assertive and you'll do fine. Bring ID ofc. As far as brands go, depends on priorities. Benson & hedges gold (but call them benson hedges (notice the lack of an 'and':wink: if you don't want to sound like a newb) are very nice to smoke, quite expensive though. My favourites were marlboro reds (alittle rare, and very full of flavour), or if you want something alot smoother to smoke, lucky strikes. Silk cuts are a good choice if you want a low tar content(to save your lungs a little). Or if you want to start off with a mint/menthol taste because you don't like the taste of cigarettes, go for something like sterling menthols. They've got this thing in the filter that you squeeze, it releases a menthol taste to the cigarette, pretty good for virgin lungs. If you want a really strong hit of tobacco, go with richmond superkings, they're cheap and strong as all hell. You really can't go that far wrong when you start out, any cigarette brand is going to suck to smoke until your lungs are used to it. It's only when you don't feel the need to cough etc that you can start to get the differences between brand quality. so pick one of my recommendations if they suit your fancy, because as an ex-smoker, I'd say these are better than alot of other shyte you could buy like chesterfields, or go on here http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/grocery-categories/Cigarettes_in_Tesco.html and pick a pack you like the look of, remember it's name and ask for it in a shop. Presto, instant cancer :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
I have seen too many people with throat cancer, unable to eat or drink except through a tube up their nose, unable to speak or communicate except with a white board or grunting noises, breathing through a hole in their neck. That's probably the most graphic situation smokers end up in, it's not the worst.

Smoking is not a joking matter and the graphic images on the boxes don't do justice to the horror of living through the worst consequences of the vice.

But hey maybe you're one of the lucky ones maybe you won't end up with any of the most significant health problems that come with smoking, enjoy being poorer, smellier, older looking,more unfit, and living a shorter life.

Taking up smoking now is an idiots choice, of course you are absolutely free to be an idiot but do yourself a favour and don't.
Reply 11
Don't do it, think of all the money you are going to waste on this
Do what make you happy.
Original post by Anonymous

well as an occasional smoker myself
I'd say don't but you ignore sensible advice so
I'll assist you choose a good brand I'll cost you a little more but it well worth it something like Dunhill's should be common or else Marlboro are ok
Cohiba are the best if you can find them
Original post by jamesthehustler
well as an occasional smoker myself
I'd say don't but you ignore sensible advice so
I'll assist you choose a good brand I'll cost you a little more but it well worth it something like Dunhill's should be common or else Marlboro are ok
Cohiba are the best if you can find them

Rather disappointed with Chesterfield Superkings. They're a lot shorter than other superkings and last about 6 mins when I use to get 10 mins smoke from Berkley Superkings. Chesterfields seem to have a long filter and the white tobacco bit is no longer than a regular (non- superkings) cigarette :frown: A rip off at £7.35!
cigarettes will avarda kedarva you.
Reply 16
Smoking causes aids
Original post by Nerry
Smoking causes aids

No AIDS is caused by being infected by blood or other bodily fluids from a carrier of the HIV virus and it can be many years before the HIV virus becomes active leading to AIDS. We learned that in Biology.

You can't possibly get AIDS from cigarettes or tobacco! There is Tobacco mosaic virus but that doesn't infect humans.

AIDS is an awful scary disease but people need to know the facts. Smoking, sharing cups, preparing food, using the same toilet or even hugging does not spread AIDS.
Witch brand is good enough and witch shop to buy it
Original post by Benbeardsall606
Witch brand is good enough and witch shop to buy it

Which*

Also, don't bump old threads, especially those regarding Cancer sticks.

Latest