The Student Room Group

If there is money to be made, the council/government will take it off you

If you can think of a way of increasing income, the council will have thought of it too and will have invented a 'reasonable' rule that involves you handing over all the extra money to them.
What on earth are you talking about? If anything, personal taxation has come down in the last 15 years. When I graduated, after tax and NI my £22k gave me around £1200 a month to play with. Today, you will take home just over £1500. Sure, VAT has gone up to 20%, but you don't have to purchase vatable items. There is a good second hand market or you could spend your money on non-luxury goods instead. Even VED has fallen if you buy an economical car.
What are you talking about?
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
What on earth are you talking about? If anything, personal taxation has come down in the last 15 years. When I graduated, after tax and NI my £22k gave me around £1200 a month to play with. Today, you will take home just over £1500. Sure, VAT has gone up to 20%, but you don't have to purchase vatable items. There is a good second hand market or you could spend your money on non-luxury goods instead. Even VED has fallen if you buy an economical car.
What are you talking about?

a £300 increase in 15 years is rather **** if you take into account inflation.
Original post by Napp
a £300 increase in 15 years is rather **** if you take into account inflation.

I was talking the reduction in tax, not increase in wages. For the same pay, you have £300 more in your pocket now than you would have in 2000. That is pretty good. And who should we thank? Why the good old Lib Dems and their policies to increase personal allowance.
Can't even deal drugs nowadays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending