The Student Room Group

Part time work whilst in final year of university

Is it possible to work around 15-20 hours a week whilst in my final year of university and still get a first? I need around 75% to get a minimum of 70% overall or would it be too much to handle with tests, assignments and revision?
It depends on how intense your course is..I am planning to do this but I know my course has a very open timetable meaning I have all day to do my my work then I can do my job in the evenings
Original post by Blyts-_
Is it possible to work around 15-20 hours a week whilst in my final year of university and still get a first? I need around 75% to get a minimum of 70% overall or would it be too much to handle with tests, assignments and revision?

It depends on the nature of your job, the nature of your course, and on how you manage your workload. I worked throughout my final year and while it was stressful at times (weekends before an essay was due, for example), overall I think it was a positive thing for me: it gave me money and some financial independence, and it forced me to be organised and efficient with study, because I knew I wouldn't have much of my weekends to catch up. However, I only worked weekends, and I worked a retail post that didn't require a ton of mental effort, so I think that helped. The job actually helped me decompress a bit, as it forced me to think about other things for a while!

In your case, you'd have to think carefully about the likely demands that will be placed on you this year (think about how many essays/assignments you'll likely have, a possible dissertation, etc.), and also how efficiently you work. What kind of course do you do? Aiming for 75% in your final year is tough, especially if it's an arts/social science-type course, so you'll need to be very focused, work smart, and really give it everything you have. Then, what kind of job do you have? If it's something where you can just go in, work & leave and not think about at all until your next shift, then that's ideal. Personally, I would try to reduce the hours a bit if you can, and you can survive financially. As I said, I just did weekend work, and for me that was ideal - it meant I could exclusively focus on uni during the week, and not be distracted by having to go to work a few evenings. But without knowing your situation it's hard to say.

In summary, I think it's possible to work, with the caveats about working smart and being organised, and with the advice to reduce the hours a bit of you can :smile:
Original post by Blyts-_

Hello :biggrin:

In these cases, I always say the same thing - it's down to you! It's down to the independent person and what they feel they can talk on.

I have a part time job and going into my final year at university and the hours I've taken on are suitable for me whilst at university, so, if you feel you can, do it!

Best of luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending