The Student Room Group

History internship and masters

Can you do both at the same time? After you graduate?
Original post by Sop 27

You need to work that out yourself. I mean - what is a history internship - where are you getting this? What hours and dates? What is the schedule of your Masters,? Where are you doing it? What are the course obligations? How many hours a week are you prepared to work? What is your attitude to risk?
Reply 2
It completely depends on what kind of internship you would be going into. There isn't really such a thing as a history internship, although you may be able to find internships in other fields that are related to history such as museums or archives. Normally, there aren't any restrictions on working alongside Masters degrees (other than places like Oxford and Cambridge), a lot of people do need to work alongside Masters degrees as unfortunately the student loan does not cover both tuition fees and living costs. The limit, however, would be whether you could reasonably manage the workload of both a internship and a Masters degree. Some Masters degrees might give you the opportunity to do a placement as part of your course, and this and the work you produce off the back of your placement would contribute towards your final mark. Voluntary internships, whilst unfortunately being unpaid, may be a good option as they allow an increasing amount of flexibility. During my Masters degree, I volunteered at a museum and was then taken on as paid staff whilst in the final writing up stages of my dissertation.

Edit: additionally, universities often offer you the chance to work as a research assistant for the lecturers in the department, normally undertaking a specific task within their current research project. I've noticed that these seem to be aimed at undergraduate students moreso than masters students, however, most likely because undergraduate students can do this in their summer holidays but masters students don't normally get a summer break.
(edited 6 months ago)
Yes, it's possible to do a history internship and pursue a master's degree at the same time after you graduate. Many universities offer part-time or online master's programs, allowing students to gain practical work experience through internships or employment while continuing their education. It requires careful time management and planning, but balancing work and further studies is a common practice among graduates seeking to enhance both their academic qualifications and real-world experience.

Good Luck,
Fatima
LSBU Student Rep
Original post by Sop 27

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending