The Student Room Group

Can you still do A levels

After finishing Uni? Or would this seem bad to employers?
Basically I got CCC in my A levels but still got into an OK midtable uni for accounting and finance, but as the industry is so competitive I know the a levels may hold me back because of the ucas filters for many of the grad jobs

Was wandering after I graduate if it would be worth doing an extra fast rack A level or two as I would hate this to hold me back from my aim of becoming a chartered accountant.
Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexp98
Basically I got CCC in my A levels but still got into an OK midtable uni for accounting and finance, but as the industry is so competitive I know the a levels may hold me back because of the ucas filters for many of the grad jobs

Was wandering after I graduate if it would be worth doing an extra fast rack A level or two as I would hate this to hold me back from my aim of becoming a chartered accountant.
Thanks

I dont think it would be viable, as the specs for your a levels wouldnt exist anymore.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I dont think it would be viable, as the specs for your a levels wouldnt exist anymore.

Ok thanks, but I mean do an extra a level or two instead of resitting just because of all the ucas filters for jobs these days?
Original post by alexp98
Ok thanks, but I mean do an extra a level or two instead of resitting just because of all the ucas filters for jobs these days?

You can do A levels through evening classes or distance learning at any age you want, but I suspect you will find things have moved on in your life by that time and you won't think it's worth it.
Original post by alexp98

Have you checked whether they have a done in one sitting rule with that?
A lot of the graduate schemes don't care about which uni they went to, they have lots of different tests to see how you are as a person and go based off that. I wouldn't worry about it, and if you wanted, you could try to get special accreditation. Also try to get lots of work experience, doing work experience or a placement at a company makes them much more likely to take you on for a graduate scheme.
Reply 6
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You can do A levels through evening classes or distance learning at any age you want, but I suspect you will find things have moved on in your life by that time and you won't think it's worth it.

Yeah this is what I suspected, it's more like a last resort and I have read lots of posts on TSR of people doing the degree then getting stuck and unemployed because they don't have the 280 ucas points required.
Reply 7
Have you checked whether they have a done in one sitting rule with that?

Yeah very few do they just pinpoint that the ucas tarrif has to come from only three grades. Also aside from the schemes, would employers in most industries actually mind if they were not done in one sitting but instead after uni
Many thanks,
Reply 8
Original post by RallySPORT
A lot of the graduate schemes don't care about which uni they went to, they have lots of different tests to see how you are as a person and go based off that. I wouldn't worry about it, and if you wanted, you could try to get special accreditation. Also try to get lots of work experience, doing work experience or a placement at a company makes them much more likely to take you on for a graduate scheme.

Thanks :smile: yeAh I'm going to try make sure I get lots of summer work experience unpaid or paid done and do a few extra cirricualrs too. Do you think the a levels will hold me back then and I should think about doing an extra one after graduating, and how do employers feel about this? (Not sure grad scheme employers)
Original post by alexp98
Yeah very few do they just pinpoint that the ucas tarrif has to come from only three grades. Also aside from the schemes, would employers in most industries actually mind if they were not done in one sitting but instead after uni
Many thanks,

If it's only from 3 grades then it may only be worth your time if you know you'll take the top 3 into consideration otherwise dont bother. Have you found any data as to whether any graduates from your university had any trouble?
Well alex I don't really know much about that but if you're concerned, why not try doing a training course? e.g. an excel training course, that might make you stand out from others.
Original post by alexp98

Thanks

In terms of Uni rep, from what I've seen it doesn't really matter which Uni you come from. The initial hurdle primarily is the online tests, at which point they reject 75% of applicants. So if you get past this point, you'll have a first-round interview, and that will be entirely down to you as a person. Then the Assessment Centre, which is the final round, is again, they are looking at your personality. So what are you like as a person.*

The A-Level thing is an issue though. Most companies do have a first sitting requirement, however if there were mitigating circumstances then you can justify having a second go. From what I've noticed (upon my experience of job hunting in the financial services field), companies are starting to get rid of A-Level and even Uni degree grade requirements (for example, EY and Grant Thornton don't have a minimum A-Level or 2:1 at Uni requirement), so clearly it is taking effect. However over 60-70% still have these requirements in play, so it might be worth retaking a few exams, doing a year out, getting your grades to ABB minimum, then proceeding to a better ranked Uni.
Reply 12
Original post by Fas
In terms of Uni rep, from what I've seen it doesn't really matter which Uni you come from. The initial hurdle primarily is the online tests, at which point they reject 75% of applicants. So if you get past this point, you'll have a first-round interview, and that will be entirely down to you as a person. Then the Assessment Centre, which is the final round, is again, they are looking at your personality. So what are you like as a person.*

The A-Level thing is an issue though. Most companies do have a first sitting requirement, however if there were mitigating circumstances then you can justify having a second go. From what I've noticed (upon my experience of job hunting in the financial services field), companies are starting to get rid of A-Level and even Uni degree grade requirements (for example, EY and Grant Thornton don't have a minimum A-Level or 2:1 at Uni requirement), so clearly it is taking effect. However over 60-70% still have these requirements in play, so it might be worth retaking a few exams, doing a year out, getting your grades to ABB minimum, then proceeding to a better ranked Uni.

Thanks a lot for the help,
But wouldn't it not help then if I take a year as as they should have been done in the first sitting? Also aside from the grad schemes, what about normal employers would these mind if I did an extra a level or do they too prefer just the normal three a levels acquired from two years
Thanks
Reply 13
If it's only from 3 grades then it may only be worth your time if you know you'll take the top 3 into consideration otherwise dont bother. Have you found any data as to whether any graduates from your university had any trouble?

Nope, I was looking on unistats for this at dmu and it does seem OK, but ofc it's hard for me to know as I wouldn't know what their a level grades were :/ I guess these grad schemes only represent the minority anyway so do you think the normal day to day employer would mind if take an extra two a levels after or should I just not bother?
Thanks for all your help
Original post by alexp98
Thanks a lot for the help,
But wouldn't it not help then if I take a year as as they should have been done in the first sitting? Also aside from the grad schemes, what about normal employers would these mind if I did an extra a level or do they too prefer just the normal three a levels acquired from two years
Thanks

Hmmmm, depends. Had a quick read over my employer's entry requirements (they are a very big firm) and despite their requirement that the A-Levels be achieved in first sitting, they do say they are willing to adjust requirements depending on the situation.*

I think if you did a year out and resat and bumped the grades up, they would be willing to atleast consider your application. You would need to speak to HR and explain your situation to them. If you were totally up front about it and said "look i was lazy for those 2 years, didn't appreciate the task, but pulled myself together and look what I got" then you stand a chance. Will do a bit more research into it though.*
Reply 15
Original post by Fas
Hmmmm, depends. Had a quick read over my employer's entry requirements (they are a very big firm) and despite their requirement that the A-Levels be achieved in first sitting, they do say they are willing to adjust requirements depending on the situation.*

I think if you did a year out and resat and bumped the grades up, they would be willing to atleast consider your application. You would need to speak to HR and explain your situation to them. If you were totally up front about it and said "look i was lazy for those 2 years, didn't appreciate the task, but pulled myself together and look what I got" then you stand a chance. Will do a bit more research into it though.*

Cheers would this be the case if I didn't take the year out and did another a level after graduating?
Original post by alexp98
Cheers would this be the case if I didn't take the year out and did another a level after graduating?

I was speaking if you did take the year out. Because of the way the A-Levels are changing, you have an opportunity to finish A-Levels pretty much by this time next year with a new set of results. Whilst if you left it, you would have to do the A-Levels across 2 years after graduating.
Reply 17

Hey, I looked around and did lots of research and came to the conclusion that if I were to resit the best time would be now, but as most of the firms say top 3 grades and first sitting would the a levels of CCC always effect my chances in life and look bad on a cv or with good GCSEs and a solid 2:1 with lots of experience would I still be fine?many thanks for all your help
If I were to resit I think best case scenario would be BBC with an increase in history and general studies. But as I would need to have a job too (or I'd be sitting at home due to no school) the more likely scenario would just be BBC overall.
@Carnationlilyrose
Any help would be great from either of you, thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alexp98
Hey, I looked around and did lots of research and came to the conclusion that if I were to resit the best time would be now, but as most of the firms say top 3 grades and first sitting would the a levels of CCC always effect my chances in life and look bad on a cv or with good GCSEs and a solid 2:1 with lots of experience would I still be fine?many thanks for all your help
If I were to resit I think best case scenario would be BBC with an increase in history and general studies. But as I would need to have a job too (or I'd be sitting at home due to no school) the more likely scenario would just be BBC overall.
@Carnationlilyrose
Any help would be great from either of you, thanks

My instinct would be to take a bird in the hand. By no means all grad schemes filter on A levels and your ideas of what you want to do in life may well change. If your best case resit results would be BBC, then it won't make enough difference to those who do select by A levels to be worth doing anyway, especially if one of them in General Studies.

(FWIW I started out training to be a chartered accountant and couldn't get out fast enough. You might not even like it!)
Reply 19
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
My instinct would be to take a bird in the hand. By no means all grad schemes filter on A levels and your ideas of what you want to do in life may well change. If your best case resit results would be BBC, then it won't make enough difference to those who do select by A levels to be worth doing anyway, especially if one of them in General Studies.

(FWIW I started out training to be a chartered accountant and couldn't get out fast enough. You might not even like it!)

Thanks for the help, yeah it's also an encouraging sign for uni that in my A2 exams in English lit and history I got As and Bs so it was my AS that actually let me down anyway. Hopefully I'll get a first or 2:1 at uni and with lots of experience, this will still put me in a great position for whatever field I do want to go into to, despite three Cs at A level. :smile: I did ask a teacher too and she was agreeing saying what you were too.
Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending