The Student Room Group

A level Options

Hi there, i'm currently in college and taking a level psychology, photography and BTEC Level 3 applied Science extended Certificate ... i'm unsure on what i want to do for a degree but i definitely want to go into either law, criminology, or forensic science with a foundation year, but i don't know if i can go into forensics with the science as iv'e chosen, as its an btec so i don't know what to do... so i might drop science if i can't go into forensics and do criminology as i have still time to change my options but as well there's a lot of controversy about taking criminology as it is not seen as an a level. Really need some advice ASAP please
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by aali2006
Hi there, i'm currently in college and taking a level psychology, photography and BTEC Level 3 applied Science extended Certificate ... i'm unsure on what i want to do for a degree but i definitely want to go into either law, criminology, or forensic science with a foundation year, but i don't know if i can go into forensics with the science as iv'e chosen, as its an btec so i don't know what to do... so i might drop science if i can't go into forensics and do criminology as i have still time to change my options but as well there's a lot of controversy about taking criminology as it is not seen as an a level. Really need some advice ASAP please

I think I have answered one of your questions through another person's thread.

If you don't have any specific reasons to do BTEC extended certificate, then I recommend switching it to either Biology or Chemistry. Biology should be preferable considering you are taking psychology (a number of overlapping areas) and it's more essay based.

Criminology and law don't require specific subjects, so it's just forensic science which usually look for at least one science A Level.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I think I have answered one of your questions through another person's thread.

If you don't have any specific reasons to do BTEC extended certificate, then I recommend switching it to either Biology or Chemistry. Biology should be preferable considering you are taking psychology (a number of overlapping areas) and it's more essay based.

Criminology and law don't require specific subjects, so it's just forensic science which usually look for at least one science A Level.

i would do that but i got a 5 in science as i did foundation combined so i can't meet the requirements as you need a 6 in higher tier...
that's why i'm having doubts on this btec science as i don't know if i'm wasting my time with this, because if i can't get into forensics then i might as well drop and just do criminology cause what other a level can i really take
Well, psychology is considered a "science" in some forensic science degree, so yo can get away with applying to some of the degrees. However, to maximise your options, it's preferable to do biology outside of college still. As previously mentioned, if A Level biology is not a viable option. Access to HE in science (after college) should cover the other requirements for most degrees of your choice.

Whether you want to do a different A Level subject is up to you. I still recommend the full A Level over the other types of qualifications.
Whether you're eligible for specific A Level subjects would depend on the specific college unfortunately. Although all exam boards would accept your GCSE grades (so you can apply privately for any subject should you want), the college you go to won't.
Reply 4
id recommend looking into entry requirements of uni courses that you like the look of even if it feels too far in advance. you don’t have to settle on anything right now but it might help you to see what different unis and subjects are looking for (i.e. some unis just go off ucas points or some degrees require certain a level subjects or have no requirements at all)

Quick Reply

Latest