The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Can I apply to Southampton?

Hi guys I am currently interested in a computer science course with a foundation year due to the fact that I haven't done A Level mathematics in my A Levels and that my A Level subjects dont relate to the degree. However, I can still do the degree if I partake in the foundation year. I looked at Southampton and they said this in the requirements:

"ABB from 3 A-levels excluding mathematics. A pass in the science Practical is required where it is separately endorsed. We are committed to ensuring that all students with the potential to succeed, regardless of their background, are encouraged to apply to study with us. The additional information gained through contextual data allows us to recognize a student’s potential to succeed in the context of their background and experience. Students who are highlighted in this way will receive additional scrutiny during confirmation of results If you have taken mathematics at A-level then you are not eligible for the Foundation Year."

I dont get what the "A pass in the science Practical is required where it is separately endorsed." means, can I still get in or do I need to do a science subject? My A level subjects is business graphics and media studies.
Original post by Clivierx

I dont get what the "A pass in the science Practical is required where it is separately endorsed." means, can I still get in or do I need to do a science subject? My A level subjects is business graphics and media studies.

This means that if you are doing a science A level then you need to pass the practical element. For science subjects, practical skills are explored in a separate endorsment which is pass/fail and has no impact on the theory grade achieved from the exams. However, many degrees (like this one) will expect to see that a candidate has pass the exams part as well as achieve a particular grade as it speaks to the skills they have gained and their ability to organise
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by totallyfine
This means that if you are doing a science A level then you need to pass the practical element. For science subjects, practical skills are explored in a separate endorsment which is pass/fail and has no impact on the theory grade achieved from the exams. However, many degrees (like this one) will expect to see that a candidate has pass the exams part as well as achieve a particular grade as it speaks to the skills they have gained and their ability to organise

So can I still apply to it since I havn't dont any sciences?
That I don't know. Based on what is said there, then sciences are not required but IF you do one, you must get the endorsement pass.
Your best bet is to ring them and have a chat about the A levels you are doing and what you need to apply to the foundation year.
Reply 4
Original post by totallyfine
That I don't know. Based on what is said there, then sciences are not required but IF you do one, you must get the endorsement pass.
Your best bet is to ring them and have a chat about the A levels you are doing and what you need to apply to the foundation year.

If I were able to do the foundation year would I be automatically transferred onto the normal 3 year course?
Yes, it does, according to the course description page.
So can I still apply to it since I havn't dont any sciences?

Hi! Yes you can! I done similar subjects : art, business and product design and I applied for the foundation year
After the foundation year, you’ll move onto the actual degree as long as you pass
Hope that helps
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! Yes you can! I done similar subjects : art, business and product design and I applied for the foundation year
After the foundation year, you’ll move onto the actual degree as long as you pass
Hope that helps

You applied to the same uni and got in?
You applied to the same uni and got in?

Yes, I applied to Southampton for civil engineering with the foundation year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending