The Student Room Group

philosophy or english lit alevel??

Which a level is better philosophy or English lit
Original post by Sophie mac

English Lit is classed as a facilitating subject at universities and would probably be more useful in getting you into humanities courses at uni, unless you are doing philosophy of course. Philosophy is still well respected but in my opinion, English lit is the more interesting of the two. I find the religious aspects of philosophy, like studying the Bible, boring myself.
Reply 2
I personally think philosophy is more interesting
English lit is great, although the course seems to have changed a lot with this new spec

Then again, you have to like the texts to do well imo
Original post by Sophie mac

The two complement each other - so don't rule that option out. They're both fantastic, well respected, interesting subjects (I did them both at A Level), so you can't really go wrong whichever you choose.

Someone above mentioned the Bible - there is absolutely no studying the Bible in Philosophy. There may be some Philosophy of Religion (some natural theology in there ie. questions about God's existence - look up the Kalam Cosmological argument for a taster) but this is just one part, along with political philosophy, philosophy of mind, philosophy of science and epistemology (questions about knowledge).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest