The Student Room Group

Should I take chemistry or english lit?

So I'm currently doing my GCSE's and I've already completed my english lit gcse (I received an 8) and I've applied for colleges with maths, further maths and physics which I definitely want to do but a lot of colleges require me to do a fourth alevel and I can't decide between chem and eng lit. I understand that chem fits in the most with my other alevels and I'm doing pretty well at GCSE right now (I'm predicted a 9 but realistically i'm probably going to receive an 8) but I know I enjoy eng lit a lot more than chem and I would appreciate how different eng lit would be compared to my other alevels. I already know I want to do maths at uni so neither alevel would really close any doors for me I'm just not sure if I should make the sensible choice and pick chem or do eng lit which I would enjoy more since I love reading but would have to spend a lot of time on (and I would have to contact all of the colleges I've already been given offers for with maths, fm, physics and chem).
Original post by coherent-shroud
So I'm currently doing my GCSE's and I've already completed my english lit gcse (I received an 8) and I've applied for colleges with maths, further maths and physics which I definitely want to do but a lot of colleges require me to do a fourth alevel and I can't decide between chem and eng lit. I understand that chem fits in the most with my other alevels and I'm doing pretty well at GCSE right now (I'm predicted a 9 but realistically i'm probably going to receive an 8) but I know I enjoy eng lit a lot more than chem and I would appreciate how different eng lit would be compared to my other alevels. I already know I want to do maths at uni so neither alevel would really close any doors for me I'm just not sure if I should make the sensible choice and pick chem or do eng lit which I would enjoy more since I love reading but would have to spend a lot of time on (and I would have to contact all of the colleges I've already been given offers for with maths, fm, physics and chem).
Im thinking of doing something similar too: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit (I was thinking of Physics as my 4th but enjoy english more). Lit is also respected quite highly by unis similarly to the sciences, but chem is probably more respected.

Also, do you enjoy physics or are you takng it more so to help your application into Maths? I personally don't see the appeal with all the formulas and circuits, I much more prefer A Level Maths.
Reply 2
I think since you already know what want to do at university, the choice should be based on what you enjoy more. I did chemistry a-level but all my friends did english lit and loved it. I also think it's good to have at least one essay subject at a-level cause it definitely does help in terms of being able to write dissertations and CV's.
Reply 3
It really ultimately depends on you and you have to make the decision that’s best for you. However, from my experience I had a relatively hard time in my first A-level year because I didn’t get my A-level combo correct. I was originally doing Chemistry, Biology, History and Art. I’m in my second year now and I am doing Biology, Maths, History and Politics (big change lol). What I would say is I applied for History and Politics at Uni and the Biology and Maths hasn’t appeared to disadvantage me this far (I’ve received offers from all my unis and they have very good reputations). I don’t think having a different type of subject will necessarily disadvantage you in the long run, and I really enjoy the variety in my subjects. That being said, I can’t say for certain a uni would prefer chemistry over it. They are usually relatively blunt in their websites if they look down on particular subjects, but as long as you meet the subject and grade requirements, they will usually won’t care especially if you drop it at the end of the first year. Chem is a difficult a-level too so I think you need to relatively enjoy it to do it- ultimately do what you think is right for you but I enjoy my mixture (:
Worst comes to worse you can try to change in your college next year
(edited 1 month ago)

I think most unis only require 3 a levels, so theoretically you could do either. English lit for me was more enjoyable than Chemistry, especially if you enjoy reading, but also requires a lot of work in terms of coursework, essay practice and wider reading. Chemistry is a tough subject, but would complement physics and maths better than English I imagine. Ultimately though, if you have the other 3 a levels and are looking for an extra, neither are terrible choices and English can work with sciences quite well actually! It has an analytical quality which science requires as well.
Original post by ismaelishere
Im thinking of doing something similar too: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit (I was thinking of Physics as my 4th but enjoy english more). Lit is also respected quite highly by unis similarly to the sciences, but chem is probably more respected.

Also, do you enjoy physics or are you takng it more so to help your application into Maths? I personally don't see the appeal with all the formulas and circuits, I much more prefer A Level Maths.
I do enjoy physics atm so I wouldn't be looking to change that, but it does help that it helps with my maths application haha. I'm glad to know that lit is respected too, and considering that I'm already doing 1 science subject maybe I wouldn't need to do chem too? Bio, chem, maths and lit is such a cool combo I'm glad you're sure about your choice!
Original post by cowra
I think since you already know what want to do at university, the choice should be based on what you enjoy more. I did chemistry a-level but all my friends did english lit and loved it. I also think it's good to have at least one essay subject at a-level cause it definitely does help in terms of being able to write dissertations and CV's.
That's what I was thinking about the essay subject! And I wouldn't want to waste the fact that I'm practically an all-rounder at all subjects currently so I think I'm going to choose eng lit because I already have a science subject in mind so it would definitely bring something new to my application that other STEM students may not have. And I know I definitely enjoy eng lit so I don't think I'm ready to waste 2 years on a subject I don't necessarily enjoy..
Original post by EKBH
It really ultimately depends on you and you have to make the decision that’s best for you. However, from my experience I had a relatively hard time in my first A-level year because I didn’t get my A-level combo correct. I was originally doing Chemistry, Biology, History and Art. I’m in my second year now and I am doing Biology, Maths, History and Politics (big change lol). What I would say is I applied for History and Politics at Uni and the Biology and Maths hasn’t appeared to disadvantage me this far (I’ve received offers from all my unis and they have very good reputations). I don’t think having a different type of subject will necessarily disadvantage you in the long run, and I really enjoy the variety in my subjects. That being said, I can’t say for certain a uni would prefer chemistry over it. They are usually relatively blunt in their websites if they look down on particular subjects, but as long as you meet the subject and grade requirements, they will usually won’t care especially if you drop it at the end of the first year. Chem is a difficult a-level too so I think you need to relatively enjoy it to do it- ultimately do what you think is right for you but I enjoy my mixture (:
Worst comes to worse you can try to change in your college next year
Why did you decide to drop chemistry? I'm happy to get a reply from someone who's doing a wide variety of subjects and still getting into the degree they want! I think I'm going to choose lit, but maybe I'll end up changing my mind once I get my chemistry results haha.
Original post by lyric-exertion
I think most unis only require 3 a levels, so theoretically you could do either. English lit for me was more enjoyable than Chemistry, especially if you enjoy reading, but also requires a lot of work in terms of coursework, essay practice and wider reading. Chemistry is a tough subject, but would complement physics and maths better than English I imagine. Ultimately though, if you have the other 3 a levels and are looking for an extra, neither are terrible choices and English can work with sciences quite well actually! It has an analytical quality which science requires as well.
That's what I love about english lit, it's still analytical but in a different way to other stem subjects and you can still use your creativity too! I know most maths degrees would allow me a place with only maths, fm and physics but the colleges I've applied to are being a bit strange, but I understand because I don't want to completely focus on one area either and I'd like to do something different, so I would like to do eng lit. However I'm just worried that if I do 4 alevels and lit is my fourth, unis might ignore that and expect me to get 3 A*'s in the other 3 alevels, whereas I might get more leniency if I do a more relevant subject like chemistry. Is that even possible?
That's what I love about english lit, it's still analytical but in a different way to other stem subjects and you can still use your creativity too! I know most maths degrees would allow me a place with only maths, fm and physics but the colleges I've applied to are being a bit strange, but I understand because I don't want to completely focus on one area either and I'd like to do something different, so I would like to do eng lit. However I'm just worried that if I do 4 alevels and lit is my fourth, unis might ignore that and expect me to get 3 A*'s in the other 3 alevels, whereas I might get more leniency if I do a more relevant subject like chemistry. Is that even possible?

It's possible that universities will have specific grade requirements for specific subjects (for example, an A in maths) but I doubt they would entirely disregard your English result! If they want 3A*s and you get 3A*s and one of those is English then that'll probably be fine? You can always check some universities' entry requirements on their websites if you're worried though :smile:
Reply 10
Why did you decide to drop chemistry? I'm happy to get a reply from someone who's doing a wide variety of subjects and still getting into the degree they want! I think I'm going to choose lit, but maybe I'll end up changing my mind once I get my chemistry results haha.
To be completely honest with you- I hated chemistry. It was suggested by a lot of people that I should do medicine because I was good at sciences, but I wasn't actually a very scientifically-brained person. I tried the first two weeks of ches and when they told me electron configuration was not 2 8 8 I wanted to get out of there asap lol. I'm sure a lot of people could enjoy it but it wasn't for me, although I do enjoy maths and biology (art had way too much coursework in combo with my other subjects). I really wouldn't get too worried about other universities looking down on your subject combination. I applied to Cambridge and whilst someone did tell me it was odd, I don't think it made any big impact on my application.
I still do four the only problem with my combo was that some specified I needed certain grades A* A A in history, maths and politics specifically and they just wouldn't count biology. However, that was literally only one Uni out of five. Honestly, go with your gut- it could have saved me a lot of stress last year if I had! Don't worry though, it is very difficult for a lot of people to pick a good combo if you like pretty much entirely different types of subjects.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest