The Student Room Group

Should I do Chemistry A level?

I got an A in Chemistry (very close to an A*) but just scraped a B in maths. I find maths difficult at times but I like Chemistry the most out of all the three sciences (I did triple science instead of double too). Should I bother continuing Chemistry as I'm not sure whether I'll be able to handle the maths? And what kind of maths is involved in A level Chemistry?
Thanks
Go for it. Chemistry A level involves a lot of rearranging and converting units but I wouldn't say the level of maths required is beyond GCSE. Have some confidence in yourself. You will be alright. Especially since you enjoy this subject, just go for it! Remember, GCSR performance does not reflect A level performance.
Reply 2
Don't worry I'm pretty poor at maths and just got an A in chemistry a-level the first year the only maths is rearranging 3 equations for moles which are put in the triangle things making them easy to rearrange there's also just converting like J to Kj and a few basic conversions like that but nothing hard. At A2 there's some ph mathsy stuff but you don't need to to understand it just plug it into a calculator. Overall chemistrys not so bad if you just stick to the specification and do past papers there's not all that much to remember compared with biology for example. Also A2 is easier than AS in my opinion as you've already learned all the concepts so once you've done AS you'll be fine 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
What board was this with? CCEA? AQA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Charmont;67262732]What board was this with? CCEA? AQA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did AQA Chemistry
Original post by PinkandBlue00
I got an A in Chemistry (very close to an A*) but just scraped a B in maths. I find maths difficult at times but I like Chemistry the most out of all the three sciences (I did triple science instead of double too). Should I bother continuing Chemistry as I'm not sure whether I'll be able to handle the maths? And what kind of maths is involved in A level Chemistry?
Thanks

Here is my own estimate, based off my own chemistry class and the fact that the average AS chemistry grade is a D.

You very likely won't get an A*
You have a small chance at an A
Good chance at a B
Should be getting a C at least
D-U easily achievable.

Everyone that's predicted an A* in chemistry in my class has achieved A* in GCSE maths and Chemistry. People say the maths in chemistry isn't difficult, well, most takers of chemistry would disagree. These people are the same ones that usually would get an A* in GCSE maths, but fail to consider that at A2 Chemistry, a few topics have AS maths in them eg (manipulating logs) and a lot of the content is A grade GCSE. At AS, it's mostly of a B grade GCSE standard. The hardest mathematical concept at AS is probably using enthalpy cycles along with their related calculations; not too difficult for an A*maths student but can be challenging for a B/C student.

If you work from the get go, you can achieve highly, if you laze around at the start, you could become one of those people that drop out the subject.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks

9/10 it's re-arranging formulae and converting units, you should be able to hack it. Chemistry is fun!!
Thank you for all the helpful advice! I'm having second thoughts on Chemistry A Level at the moment as I struggle at maths and because I've heard about how hard chemistry is at A level. So I was deciding on just picking Geography instead and I'm also stronger in humanities. I'm definitely picking Biology, English Lit and History.
So Geography or Chemistry?
Thank you for all the helpful advice! I'm having second thoughts on Chemistry A Level at the moment as I struggle at maths and because I've heard about how hard chemistry is at A level. So I was deciding on just picking Geography instead and I'm also stronger in humanities. I'm definitely picking Biology, English Lit and History.

You know what, since you're doing 4, why not take chemistry, try your hardest, if it's too much, just drop it (since you only need 3 A Levels).

Geography goes well with Biology, but so does chemistry. So choose Chemistry if you are interested in it. or if you want to do medicine.

I personally hate Chemistry and love geography so take what I say with a pinch of salt

Hi!

I'm 23 and I've just completed my AS in Chemistry (CCEA) through part time study and got a strong A grade. I would say don't worry about the maths element, I haven't had to recall ANY of my GCSE maths at all! If you have achieved a B at GCSE you have more than proven that you are capable of thinking mathematically to the standard that is required from A level chemistry.

While it is a tricky subject, I feel as though you just need to devote time to gaining an understanding of the concepts involved. If you do this, you will have no problem obtaining the top marks!

Also, from what I remember of school.. you can always change your AS choices a few weeks/ months in to the school year. I recommend you give chemistry a try and, if you do not like it, you can always change to geography. If you do it the other way around it will be a lot more difficult to catch up on the chemistry course!

Hope everything goes well for you! x
Just do it! You'll enjoy it - if there are some confusing maths parts, just ask on here or check on youtube video etc... you'll be fine :biggrin:
Reply 12
What board are yo doing?

If it is AQA, go for it. I am terrible at maths, didnt do it at AS/A2 level but did chemistry and got a good A grade at AS and A2. There is bearly any maths. The maths kicks in at A2, but it is using log to calculate PH's and its really simple and just a few steps that you learn and repeat.

The most mathsy part of AQA chem a level I would say would be adding up MRs .. which is easy .. just add them. At A2 maths does get involved with rates and Ph, but it really isnt hard maths.

If you like chemistry, do chemistry.
[QUOTE=soLit;67424132]What board are yo doing?

If it is AQA, go for it. I am terrible at maths, didnt do it at AS/A2 level but did chemistry and got a good A grade at AS and A2. There is bearly any maths. The maths kicks in at A2, but it is using log to calculate PH's and its really simple and just a few steps that you learn and repeat.

The most mathsy part of AQA chem a level I would say would be adding up MRs .. which is easy .. just add them. At A2 maths does get involved with rates and Ph, but it really isnt hard maths.

If you like chemistry, do chemistry.

Yeah I'm doing AQA. However my teacher said that the maths content has gone up ever since the new style a level was introduced.
Reply 14
Yeah I'm doing AQA. However my teacher said that the maths content has gone up ever since the new style a level was introduced.

I would still say, if you like chemistry, you should do it. Don't be scared by the maths as at the end of the day, you only need to learn how to use maths, you don't need to understand it. IF you practise enough, which yo will or there is no point doing chemistry, you will be fine.
Original post by Hollyht
Don't worry I'm pretty poor at maths and just got an A in chemistry a-level the first year the only maths is rearranging 3 equations for moles which are put in the triangle things making them easy to rearrange there's also just converting like J to Kj and a few basic conversions like that but nothing hard. At A2 there's some ph mathsy stuff but you don't need to to understand it just plug it into a calculator. Overall chemistrys not so bad if you just stick to the specification and do past papers there's not all that much to remember compared with biology for example. Also A2 is easier than AS in my opinion as you've already learned all the concepts so once you've done AS you'll be fine 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do u think it’s impossible to do it with a five in maths
Original post by mbradley42
Hi!

I'm 23 and I've just completed my AS in Chemistry (CCEA) through part time study and got a strong A grade. I would say don't worry about the maths element, I haven't had to recall ANY of my GCSE maths at all! If you have achieved a B at GCSE you have more than proven that you are capable of thinking mathematically to the standard that is required from A level chemistry.

While it is a tricky subject, I feel as though you just need to devote time to gaining an understanding of the concepts involved. If you do this, you will have no problem obtaining the top marks!

Also, from what I remember of school.. you can always change your AS choices a few weeks/ months in to the school year. I recommend you give chemistry a try and, if you do not like it, you can always change to geography. If you do it the other way around it will be a lot more difficult to catch up on the chemistry course!

Hope everything goes well for you! x

Do u think it’s impossible to do it with a. 5 in maths

Quick Reply

Latest