The Student Room Group

chemistry with/and maths degree with an access to he diploma?

hi so im 19 and i have no level 3 qualifications as i was studying a levels in chemistry maths further maths and physics however i had to withdraw from college in the start of my second year due to medical issues.

i have a true passion and skill for mathematics however im also half considering graduate entry medicine.

i plan to do an online access to he diploma in science and maths, which will have level 3 graded credits in chemistry biology and maths.

are there any chemistry and/with maths courses that i could apply to with such access course? or would i be required to take a level maths along side? is that even possible?

i have self studied the entire a level maths curriculum, further maths (edxl cp1&2 fp1&2 fs1) curriculum as well as i've self studied the cambridge and oxford published maths lectures as i've found it really quite interesting.

all recommendations are greatly appreciated thank you!
Original post by possibly_emma
hi so im 19 and i have no level 3 qualifications as i was studying a levels in chemistry maths further maths and physics however i had to withdraw from college in the start of my second year due to medical issues.

i have a true passion and skill for mathematics however im also half considering graduate entry medicine.

i plan to do an online access to he diploma in science and maths, which will have level 3 graded credits in chemistry biology and maths.

are there any chemistry and/with maths courses that i could apply to with such access course? or would i be required to take a level maths along side? is that even possible?

i have self studied the entire a level maths curriculum, further maths (edxl cp1&2 fp1&2 fs1) curriculum as well as i've self studied the cambridge and oxford published maths lectures as i've found it really quite interesting.

As far as I know, most maths degrees typically would require A Level Maths (FM being ideal). You typically can't apply for a joint degree in maths without the A Level.

You can sometimes get away doing chemistry degrees with an Access course (assuming the uni accepts it). See the following as examples:
https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/4187/chemistry-and-mathematics-bsc#entry - need A Level Maths on top
https://www.lincoln.ac.uk/course/chmmthub/ - Access accepted with conditions
https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/chemistryandmathematics/#ug-ent-req-optionH - Access accepted with conditions

Doing the A Level Maths and FM on top wouldn't be a problem. If you have self studied the subjects, all you really need to do is the exams (since they tend to be 100% exams)

Personally, I would do Chemistry and the 2 Maths A Levels independently, that way you would be eligible for any Chemistry and Maths degrees (there are about 6 of such degrees in the country; 7 if you include the Natural Science degree from Durham).

The problem with doing Chemistry A Level privately is that you would need to do the practicals in order to get the full qualification, and some unis would require you to have done the practicals (do check). This is usually another £1000 on top of the exam fees (and course fees if you're doing a course as well)

Should you wish to go into medicine, an A Level in Chemistry would allow you to go into medicine at undergrad level at about half of the unis out there (some will ask for either Biology or both Biology and Chemistry), which is still a good chunk of the unis out there even though you're slightly disadvantaged.
Should you wish to go into medicine with an Access course, your options would be severely limited as a number of these degrees either outright reject Access courses or only accept them from particular colleges local to the uni, making it a complete pain.

I think the major thing to consider for your own sake is that the maths in a maths degree (including the maths side of joint honours) is normally very different to the style of A-level Maths. So it's well worth exploring that to make sure it's the kind of maths you want to do! Generally a lot less number crunching mathematical methods style stuff and a lot more proofs and very abstract concepts.

That said whether it's suitable or not as a qualification for admissions purposes will really depend on the uni you are applying to. Probably best to reach out to them in advance and check with them if they will accept it. You may also be considered for courses with a foundation year even if they can't accept you for direct entry :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
I think the major thing to consider for your own sake is that the maths in a maths degree (including the maths side of joint honours) is normally very different to the style of A-level Maths. So it's well worth exploring that to make sure it's the kind of maths you want to do! Generally a lot less number crunching mathematical methods style stuff and a lot more proofs and very abstract concepts.

That said whether it's suitable or not as a qualification for admissions purposes will really depend on the uni you are applying to. Probably best to reach out to them in advance and check with them if they will accept it. You may also be considered for courses with a foundation year even if they can't accept you for direct entry :smile:

yes im aware! i really enjoy proof and the more abstract university style pure mathematics, ive a few friends who're maths students and reguarly self teach some stuff that theyre covering lmao
yes im aware! i really enjoy proof and the more abstract university style pure mathematics, ive a few friends who're maths students and reguarly self teach some stuff that theyre covering lmao

Have you found a exam centre to sit the A-Levels in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry? 🙂
Reply 5
Original post by thegeek888
Have you found a exam centre to sit the A-Levels in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry? 🙂

i havent im still looking, awaiting a response from a few colleges. as i think the a levels will be the better pathway in terms of options moving forwards with university
i havent im still looking, awaiting a response from a few colleges. as i think the a levels will be the better pathway in terms of options moving forwards with university

Yes and you would be able to apply to Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, KCL, Durham, Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester and York too. 🙂
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending