The Student Room Group

A level maths and physics - NEED ADVICE PLS

Scroll to see replies

I know at my school people who took further maths had to do it as a 5th A level as some universities don't like having maths and further maths depending on what you apply for.
If you're doing physics then you should defo choose mechanics it'll help you in both subjects
Original post by nadiakms
I'm going to be study maths further maths physics economics, so I'm wondering whether to take the statistic or mechanic modules which would be suitable with my a level options? Btw GCSE I dreaded stats but I was good at it, algebra is my best strength when it comes to maths I achieved an A at GCSE and was a mark off an A*, during exams I lost most of my marks on basic things like fractions and stem and leaf but based on self marking I got all of the marks I could get on the last half of the paper (A/A* grade topics) so neither algebra or stats is a problem

Btw how useful is maths and further maths when it comes to helping me with physics I've been told that taking these two complimentary subjects will make physics much easier ? Well at least 50% of it but is that true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're doing further you will almost certainly take some stats and some mechanics over the 2 years. As a general rule, depending on your exam board up to about m3 will have some content relevant to physics. Maths mechanics tends to be more difficult than it's physics equivalent so it is helpful to do some mechanics, at the very least m1.
Reply 23
Original post by james Thompson56
I know at my school people who took further maths had to do it as a 5th A level as some universities don't like having maths and further maths depending on what you apply for.

I thought further maths is liked a lot by universities? I want to go in to engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
woahhhh and engineering / comp sci hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile

lool, i am not sure what to do yet, will decide depending on what i get and enjoy at a-level, and nice choice. Considered the two before
Reply 25
Original post by samb1234
If you're doing further you will almost certainly take some stats and some mechanics over the 2 years. As a general rule, depending on your exam board up to about m3 will have some content relevant to physics. Maths mechanics tends to be more difficult than it's physics equivalent so it is helpful to do some mechanics, at the very least m1.

thank you I shall be taking your advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by AdeptDz
lool, i am not sure what to do yet, will decide depending on what i get and enjoy at a-level, and nice choice. Considered the two before

good luck! 😇

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
which one was the most enjoyable to you may I ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I preferred mechanics as it was pretty fun and cool once you mastered it cos the really challenging questions were very detailed and cool
I thought further maths is liked a lot by universities? I want to go in to engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile

it is prefered and required for subjects that are rich in mathematical content, so you should be fine.
however for things like medicine it i is not really valued
Reply 29
Original post by TSRPAV
Personally I preferred mechanics as it was pretty fun and cool once you mastered it cos the really challenging questions were very detailed and cool

ahhhhh I desperately need to change my option back to mechanics! Think I'll enjoy it a bit more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
I did both M1 and M2 (edexcel) this year along with OCR AS Physics.

If you do both you'll cover pretty much all the mechanics at AS and it'll make the mechanics questions in physics way easier. I find the OCR physics textbook terrible at teaching mechanics (especially dynamics) but the maths textbooks set things out so clearly.

However, it isn't like there is a whole paper just for mechanics anymore. From memory, out of both papers I sat I only remember one or two mechanics questions and a couple of one mark multiple choice ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you'll be in a good position with that as it will be fairly maths based, in some courses they don't like accepting further maths and maths at a level as full A levels as they're too similar subjects but again that won't be the case for engineering courses.
Reply 32

I'm starting engineering at uni in September and I know for a fact they treasure maths and physics the most so further is good especially as first year covers some further maths content again. All units will require maths a level for engineering and some will specify physics in their offer too so further goes well
Reply 33
thank you for your help and which a level out of those do you find the most difficult ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd definitely say Physics was harder just because it's more about exam technique and knowing how to word answers. Maths&F.Maths were just doing past papers and fairly easy, physics required a lot more work to make notes, revise content and do past papers, but definitely manageable. If you enjoy mechanics you only really have to worry about the electricity/waves section so its a lot less to revise.
In my school they made me take both in as level cuz i took both fm and maths like you , i just finished As btw , goodluck :smile:
Well if you want to have immediate benefits, then do mechanics. For the long terms, statistics will be a better option IMO because statistical analysis is used so much more often than the basic mechanical concepts, and can be harder to understand than the mechanics you'll be learning, so a head start is usually nice.
Reply 36
I took A level maths along with AS physics & chemistry this year. I much preferred M1 to S1 - M1 was definitely helpful for some of the motion questions in physics.

Revising S1 seemed a lot more simple though; the majority of topics blended together and past paper only took 30-40mins to complete. I ended up doing better in S1 too (99ums) compared to M1 (93ums). I think more year 12s sit S1 so supposedly it's seen as the easier module... there's not really much to take from that though - pick whichever I interests you more :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 98matt
I took A level maths along with AS physics & chemistry this year. I much preferred M1 to S1 - M1 was definitely helpful for some of the motion questions in physics.

Revising S1 seemed a lot more simple though; the majority of topics blended together and past paper only took 30-40mins to complete. I ended up doing better in S1 too (99ums) compared to M1 (93ums). I think more year 12s sit S1 so supposedly it's seen as the easier module... there's not really much to take from that though - pick whichever I interests you more :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
how did you manage to do M1 and S1 in the same year?

I did M1, S1 and M2 in the same year. It helps when half your timetable is maths.
Reply 39

As I chose maths & further maths , I sat the whole A level maths in year 12. Now I'm going into year 13 to do A level (and AS) further maths in one year.

Some schools choose to teach AS maths & further maths in year 12 then the A2s in year 13. Either way it's 6 modules each year anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest