The Student Room Group

AS Results :(

Right so, I'm extremely disappointed by my grades at AS level. I got 2 E's in Biology and Chemistry. This is obviously not my normal level of work. I'm a top student, so these results were VERY shocking. Here's the thing, both biology and chemistry are now linear subjects meaning that the grade does not count towards my A2 grade next year. My dream is to go into dentistry, so do I still have a chance?
What will your teachers predict you? What grades did you get in those subjects at GCSE? And more importantly, do you know where you may have gone wrong in the exams?
Your only option it seems to apply with achieved grades after A2, I'm afraid your teachers won't predict you As with these results so you can't apply with predicted grades - they're way too low :frown:
Original post by Heidi4599
Right so, I'm extremely disappointed by my grades at AS level. I got 2 E's in Biology and Chemistry. This is obviously not my normal level of work. I'm a top student, so these results were VERY shocking. Here's the thing, both biology and chemistry are now linear subjects meaning that the grade does not count towards my A2 grade next year. My dream is to go into dentistry, so do I still have a chance?

Alright this may sound very daunting, but as someone else said, your teachers won't predicts you A's with those grades, so if you really (and be honest with yourself) believe that those grades are not an accurate representation of what you actually know, then continue to year 13, however, if you're looking to apply to Oxbridge or even a Russell Group University, you'd still have to wait until you get your achieved grades at A2 which will hopefully be along the lines of AAB or higher, then apply, receive an unconditional offer and take a gap year.

On the other hand, if you think hmm maybe I could've known more content/had better exam skills/I didn't learn this very well, it may sound daunting but it would be in your best interest to restart year 12. I say this because you could really excel in your subjects then, it is overall a much safer open. Also, it is better because then at the end of the year your exam results would probably be something like AAA or BBB or ABB or AAB (you get the point) then your teachers will definitely predict you higher grades and you could apply to the universities you want to.

Imagine you continued to year 13, then found out your A2 results were CCC or BCC ( or even a D in one of those subjects) whilst these grades are still decent, for dentistry you really want to be achieving as high as possible. Then if you redo year 13, after already applying/signing up for ucas, you'd get a lot less offers whereas in year 12, it doesn't count at all. The point is, you'd probably have to take a gap year anyway to apply with achieved grades as you won't get high predictions, but at least if you restart year 12, you can guarantee that you'll do better and won't have to worry about sharpening up your AS knowledge whilst learning the A2 content which will be incredibly difficult - especially for chemistry.

Let me know what you think c:
(edited 7 years ago)
Better check about which unis allow A levels over 3 years though if you are thinking about restarting Y12 again.

Quick Reply

Latest