The Student Room Group

FP1 Proof by induction

Attachment not found

Stuck on part 3, I've tried and cant get to the final answer.
Could someone show me the algebra please!
Reply 1
Original post by Vanilla Poison
Attachment not found

Stuck on part 3, I've tried and cant get to the final answer.
Could someone show me the algebra please!

Show us what you already have.
Original post by Zacken
Show us what you already have.

I've got as far as 2/(2k-1)+2
not sure where to go from there
Reply 3
I've got as far as 2/(2k-1)+2
not sure where to go from there

Your conjecture is that un=22k1u_n = \frac{2}{2k-1}, yeah?

So verify that works for u1u_1.

Then show that uk+1=22k11+22k1=22k1+2=22(k+1)1\displaystyle u_{k+1} = \frac{\frac{2}{2k-1}}{1 + \frac{2}{2k-1}} = \frac{2}{2k-1 + 2} = \frac{2}{2(k+1) -1}

and you're done... that's the same form of uku_k except it has k+1k+1 in place of kk as we'd expect in an induction, so that's sorted.
Original post by Zacken
Your conjecture is that un=22k1u_n = \frac{2}{2k-1}, yeah?

So verify that works for u1u_1.

Then show that uk+1=22k11+22k1=22k1+2=22(k+1)1\displaystyle u_{k+1} = \frac{\frac{2}{2k-1}}{1 + \frac{2}{2k-1}} = \frac{2}{2k-1 + 2} = \frac{2}{2(k+1) -1}

and you're done... that's the same form of uku_k except it has k+1k+1 in place of kk as we'd expect in an induction, so that's sorted.

Thanks Zacken! One thing I don't get is when you're showing n=k+1, why is Uk on top of the fraction. Is it because it says it in the question?
Reply 5
Thanks Zacken! One thing I don't get is when you're showing n=k+1, why is Uk on top of the fraction. Is it because it says it in the question?

Yep. The question says that uk+1=uk1+uku_{k+1} = \frac{u_k}{1 + u_k} so that's the relation you use.
Original post by Zacken
Yep. The question says that uk+1=uk1+uku_{k+1} = \frac{u_k}{1 + u_k} so that's the relation you use.

You're a life saver! :smile:
Reply 7

Thanks! :lol:

Were you just self studying further maths because to do AS Further Maths in year 13, or just for fun, or were you doing Further Maths AS in year 12? XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chittesh14
Were you just self studying further maths because to do AS Further Maths in year 13, or just for fun, or were you doing Further Maths AS in year 12? XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually did further maths in year 12 :biggrin: Scraped an A somehow, I did M1 & M2 so the first year was slightly tricky.
Actually did further maths in year 12 :biggrin: Scraped an A somehow, I did M1 & M2 so the first year was slightly tricky.

Taking the hard way out... Haha, no problem. The fact that you got an A doing FP1, M1 and M2 is enough man... Lol
I can't believe I helped you on a question and now you destroying maths literally lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Taking the hard way out... Haha, no problem. The fact that you got an A doing FP1, M1 and M2 is enough man... Lol
I can't believe I helped you on a question and now you destroying maths literally lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about yourself, what subjects are you taking? I'm sure you can do the same with a little bit of effort :smile:
How about yourself, what subjects are you taking? I'm sure you can do the same with a little bit of effort :smile:

Let's hope so. I don't even know to be honest, I'm the most unorganised guy in the world lol. I still have to buy suits, new bag, new everything lol. Even decide my new A-level options because my sixth form can't let me do my A-level options because the timetables clash...

But, it's going to be either:

Maths, further maths and economics
Or maths, further maths, economics and physics but I self teach further maths so I can go to economics lessons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Let's hope so. I don't even know to be honest, I'm the most unorganised guy in the world lol. I still have to buy suits, new bag, new everything lol. Even decide my new A-level options because my sixth form can't let me do my A-level options because the timetables clash...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That really sucks, perhaps you could self teach the subjects they wont let you choose. It's only the beginning of the year, you'll get into the hang of things and become more organised as time goes by!
That really sucks, perhaps you could self teach the subjects they wont let you choose. It's only the beginning of the year, you'll get into the hang of things and become more organised as time goes by!

No, really I am unorganised since like 5 years lmao. Since I got lazy, I've gone unorganised. I think I'll change now I think...
I might self teach further maths but let's see...
Thanks thoug :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest