The Student Room Group

AS PHYSICS - should I or shouldn't I?

Hi,

I am so confused whether to do AS physics or not. I didn't really enjoy it at GCSE but I think that was down to my teacher. I was happy with my GCSE grade and the college that I am joining has really good grades for physics. I am worried if I will be able to cope? Please may I have any advice on AS physics eg any top tips.

Thank you,

GG16
I would say only take it if you do AS Maths alongside it. I made that mistake last year and ended up with a U. But it's up to you. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by GG16
Hi,

I am so confused whether to do AS physics or not. I didn't really enjoy it at GCSE but I think that was down to my teacher. I was happy with my GCSE grade and the college that I am joining has really good grades for physics. I am worried if I will be able to cope? Please may I have any advice on AS physics eg any top tips.

Thank you,

GG16

Think about whether you NEED physics for your chosen uni course ?
Do you need physics or would you be better of picking another ' easier ' subject where you'll be more likely to get the A/A* grades, as unfortunately physics is a very time consuming subject which could hinder your performance in other subjects in order to make sure you get a good grade !

It seems the college has a good track record for physics yet this says nothing about how well you'll do at it .

Physics alevel is a different game between GCSE and this is the same for all the sciences so please don't just pick it cause you got a decent grade for GCSE.

Pick subjects you think you can do well in, rather than subjects that look ' good ' as most courses except physics degrees won't specific physics in their entry requirements :smile:

If you're still not sure please speak to someone at your school and ask whether you can try out the subject for a few weeks before making up your mind :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jayokay
I would say only take it if you do AS Maths alongside it. I made that mistake last year and ended up with a U. But it's up to you. :smile:

Someone I know got an A in alevel physics without doing AS maths haha
Reply 4
Original post by jayokay

Thank you I am doing Maths A level and Further Maths so hopefully this will work out.
Reply 5
Original post by fefssdf
Think about whether you NEED physics for your chosen uni course ?
Do you need physics or would you be better of picking another ' easier ' subject where you'll be more likely to get the A/A* grades, as unfortunately physics is a very time consuming subject which could hinder your performance in other subjects in order to make sure you get a good grade !

It seems the college has a good track record for physics yet this says nothing about how well you'll do at it .

Physics alevel is a different game between GCSE and this is the same for all the sciences so please don't just pick it cause you got a decent grade for GCSE.

Pick subjects you think you can do well in, rather than subjects that look ' good ' as most courses except physics degrees won't specific physics in their entry requirements :smile:

If you're still not sure please speak to someone at your school and ask whether you can try out the subject for a few weeks before making up your mind :smile:

I really don't know what I'd like to do at uni so I am trying to broaden my options, I am doing Maths Further Maths Chemistry and History. However, I don't sit my Further Maths till next year. These options that I have 100% chosen are my favourites and I am doing them for that reason only. Whereas physics is more of a less enjoyable one. When I look at the content for AS physics it looks ok but the bridging work doesn't seem good.
Reply 6
I didn't enjoy GCSE Physics, but I took AS Physics anyway. Didn't enjoy that either, and dropped it after AS results. Take the subjects you know you'll enjoy, or else every lesson will be a slog.
If you don't enjoy physics, then don't pick it for A-level. I recommend you find an online copy of the syllabus you'll be doing and have a think about whether or not you'll enjoy studying it. Also:

Is it something that you'd like to read about in your spare time?
Do you need it for your future career/university course?

If the answers are no, then you probably won't enjoy it.
Reply 8
Original post by GG16
I really don't know what I'd like to do at uni so I am trying to broaden my options, I am doing Maths Further Maths Chemistry and History. However, I don't sit my Further Maths till next year. These options that I have 100% chosen are my favourites and I am doing them for that reason only. Whereas physics is more of a less enjoyable one. When I look at the content for AS physics it looks ok but the bridging work doesn't seem good.

Right my advice : don't pick physics. Maths and further maths are excellent choices and you can't go wrong with them and so are history and chemistry and don't limit your options .

Please don't waste your time doing physics when you know deep down you don't like it that much compared to your other subjects .

I made the mistake in year 12 of picking 5 subjects including biology and chemistry and never really wanted to do them but as I had good GCSE science grades I thought I would do well regardless but I ended up quitting chemistry within 2 weeks and quit biology after getting a U in the January mocks. Please don't do physics as the chances are you'll regret it later down the line given you've already picked your favourites 👍
Reply 9
Original post by jessyjellytot14
If you don't enjoy physics, then don't pick it for A-level. I recommend you find an online copy of the syllabus you'll be doing and have a think about whether or not you'll enjoy studying it. Also:

Is it something that you'd like to read about in your spare time?
Do you need it for your future career/university course?

If the answers are no, then you probably won't enjoy it.

Thank you I will definitely do that, in fact I just had a look and the course looks alright I think my issue is that I can't then apply it to the questions but hopefully with practise that could be resolved. Also because I am doing maths the M1 links with the physics.

Quick Reply

Latest