The Student Room Group

masters degree

can someone explain to me what a masters degree is and if it would be beneficial for me to take one after taking a Bsc degree in biomedical science/biological science/biochemistry? is it similar to postgraduate degree where i would have to do the masters degree after my first degree?

(currently a year 13 student)
Original post by cxcoaj
can someone explain to me what a masters degree is and if it would be beneficial for me to take one after taking a Bsc degree in biomedical science/biological science/biochemistry? is it similar to postgraduate degree where i would have to do the masters degree after my first degree?

(currently a year 13 student)

A masters degree is a higher degree than a BSc degree in any subject. Masters degree require another further year of study to gain it. Yes it is more beneficial than a BSc, and most unis will offer a MSc degree in a particular subject, it's indicated by the name of the course it will either say for instance Chemistry BSc(hons) or Chemistry MSc. The courses are the exact same except in the MSc you will study an additional year of chemistry and most likely do a group project with a major dissertation in the last year. Postgraduate degree are a further qualification and are available at masters degree, it is a little different because after you get your degree in a subject you could study something related to that subject which isn't available as an undergraduate course, for instance you could apply for something like Applied Chemistry MSc which is a Post graduate course and is probably different than just chemistry. The entry requirements for a post graduate are have a honours BSc degree in a related subject. For instance at the university I wish to study at they offer a MSc in nanoscience, the entry requirement are have a BSc(hons) in physics or chemistry.
Hope this helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by RossB1702
A masters degree is a higher degree than a BSc degree in any subject. Masters degree require another further year of study to gain it. Yes it is more beneficial than a BSc, and most unis will offer a MSc degree in a particular subject, it's indicated by the name of the course it will either say for instance Chemistry BSc(hons) or Chemistry MSc. The courses are the exact same except in the MSc you will study an additional year of chemistry and most likely do a group project with a major dissertation in the last year. Postgraduate degree are a further qualification and are available at masters degree, it is a little different because after you get your degree in a subject you could study something related to that subject which isn't available as an undergraduate course, for instance you could apply for something like Applied Chemistry MSc which is a Post graduate course and is probably different than just chemistry. The entry requirements for a post graduate are have a honours BSc degree in a related subject. For instance at the university I wish to study at they offer a MSc in nanoscience, the entry requirement are have a BSc(hons) in physics or chemistry.
Hope this helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks this basically answered my question
you're not clear about what you've been looking at, there is MSc which the postgrad masters and there are also integrated masters which have names like
MSci
MBiol
MBiolsci
MBioms etc

which are basically undergraduate entry courses lasting 1 year longer than a BSc, you apply through UCAS and have your fees & maintenance paid by SFE loan. Providing you pass your exams you graduate with a masters.
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
you're not clear about what you've been looking at, there is MSc which the postgrad masters and there are also integrated masters which have names like
MSci
MBiol
MBiolsci
MBioms etc

which are basically undergraduate entry courses lasting 1 year longer than a BSc, you apply through UCAS and have your fees & maintenance paid by SFE loan. Providing you pass your exams you graduate with a masters.

so if i take the integrated i leave with a masters degree thanks. is an integrated masters harder than a normal undegrad degree?
Original post by cxcoaj
so if i take the integrated i leave with a masters degree thanks. is an integrated masters harder than a normal undegrad degree?

they're the same except you do an additional year of study in the integrated masters degree and you just do a project and dissertation for most subjects in that last year, well the ones I've looked at anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cxcoaj

Well it's a years extra work - and presumably not easier than than the first 3.

there's a possibility you'd get bumped down to the BSc pathway if you weren't maintaining a good average mark in the first couple of years... though this would be pretty easy to cover up in a CV compared to bailing out of a separate postgrad.

Quick Reply

Latest