The Student Room Group

Student loan - not eligible

Hello,
I have applied for a student loan for my postgraduate studies (MSc) but received a letter from SFE that I am not eligible. The reason is that I have already received funding for a master's degree. I finished my undergraduate BEng degree last academic year and didn't pursue any master's degree until now. I started my BEng as MEng but changed it after the first year. The SFE claims that this counts as master's funding. Does anybody have a similar situation? Is it worth trying to appeal?
Yes - if you've never studied or had funding at level 7 then you should still be eligible for a postgraduate loan.
Original post by Kamil70
Hello,
I have applied for a student loan for my postgraduate studies (MSc) but received a letter from SFE that I am not eligible. The reason is that I have already received funding for a master's degree. I finished my undergraduate BEng degree last academic year and didn't pursue any master's degree until now. I started my BEng as MEng but changed it after the first year. The SFE claims that this counts as master's funding. Does anybody have a similar situation? Is it worth trying to appeal?

Hi there,

It sounds like you initially studied a 4 Year Integrated Masters course.

So, at one point you decided not to complete the Masters year and get the degree only, is that right?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 3
Hello,
I am starting a new discussion because due to an error, I cannot reply to your question.

The previous post was
"Hello,
I have applied for a student loan for my postgraduate studies (MSc) but received a letter from SFE that I am not eligible. The reason is that I have already received funding for a master's degree. I finished my undergraduate BEng degree last academic year and didn't pursue any master's degree until now. I started my BEng as MEng but changed it after the first year. The SFE claims that this counts as master's funding. Does anybody have a similar situation? Is it worth trying to appeal?"

and
"Hi there,

So, at one point you decided not to complete the Masters year and get the degree only, is that right?

Thanks, Graeme"

Yes that is correct, I only finished with a bachelor degree
Kind regards,
Kamil
Original post by Kamil70
Hello,
I am starting a new discussion because due to an error, I cannot reply to your question.

The previous post was
"Hello,
I have applied for a student loan for my postgraduate studies (MSc) but received a letter from SFE that I am not eligible. The reason is that I have already received funding for a master's degree. I finished my undergraduate BEng degree last academic year and didn't pursue any master's degree until now. I started my BEng as MEng but changed it after the first year. The SFE claims that this counts as master's funding. Does anybody have a similar situation? Is it worth trying to appeal?"

and
"Hi there,

Thanks, Graeme"

Yes that is correct, I only finished with a bachelor degree
Kind regards,
Kamil

Hi Kamil,

That's fine, all you need to do is send a cover letter explaining that you did not obtain the masters level, along with copies of evidence of the qualification that you did receive such as a certificates or university transcripts.

Postgraduate Loans (SFE)
Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Thanks, Clare
Reply 5
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Kamil,

That's fine, all you need to do is send a cover letter explaining that you did not obtain the masters level, along with copies of evidence of the qualification that you did receive such as a certificates or university transcripts.

Postgraduate Loans (SFE)
Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Thanks, Clare

Hello Clare,

Hope you are well.

Kamil has submitted his transcripts and certificate stating that he has only received a BEng rather than a MEng (which he changed during his second year accordingly), however the response is the same.

He had to obtain this response by calling as no official letter was sent to Kamil.

Any ideas on what we can do next?

Many thanks,
Emil
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by EmilStas
Hello Clare,

Hope you are well.

Kamil has submitted his transcripts and certificate stating that he has only received a BEng rather than a MEng (which he changed during his second year accordingly), however the response is the same.

He had to obtain this response by calling as no official letter was sent to Kamil.

Any ideas on what we can do next?

Many thanks,
Emil

Hi Emil,

They would need to contact us on 0300 100 0031 and we can look into this and further assist. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending