The Student Room Group

Maths C3 - Trigonometry... Help??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ValerieKR
simplify cos(x)sec(x) and put the remaining terms over a cos(x) denominator

Thank you soooooo much!! I managed to work it out now. Yayyyyy.
Seriously appreciate your help :smile:
Another few of my silly questions...

Q1) With quadrant diagrams is...
sinsin Positive in the 1st and 2nd quadrant --- Negative in the 3rd and 4th quadrant
coscos Positive in the 1st and 4th --- Negative in the 2nd and 3rd
tantan Postive in the 1st and 3rd --- Negative in the 2nd and 4th
???

Q2) How come...

Unparseable latex formula:

\theta = cos^-^1(\frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{4}{3}}})

...the square root makes cos positive and negative but...

Unparseable latex formula:

\theta = tan^-^1(\sqrt[3]{\frac{1}{8}})

...with the cube root in this equation tan just remains positive??

I know that square roots can are +/- but does the same not apply to cube roots? :frown:

Sorry for the ridiculously silly questions
Reply 42
Original post by Philip-flop

If the original question was cos2θ=34\cos^2 \theta = \frac{3}{4} then you get cosθ=±34\cos \theta = \pm \sqrt{\frac{3}{4}} so you get two different trig equations to solve.

But with ]tan3θ=18]tan^3 \theta = \frac{1}{8}, cube rooting gives only tanθ=+183\tan \theta = + \sqrt[3]{\frac{1}{8}} which is only one trig equation to solve. I'm not really sure what you're asking tbh, could you post the original question and your working out?

I know that square roots can are +/- but does the same not apply to cube roots? :frown:
Sorry for the ridiculously silly questions

Nope.

Take -1 for instance. Squaring it, or raising it to any even power, will give the result of +1. This is also the case for the number +1 itself, if you raise it to any even power.

If you were to cube -1, then you would be multiplying it by itself 3 times and you come back to -1 again. Same with any odd power. Now if you apply odd powers to the number +1, then you would just come back to +1 again.

So; for even powers, all numbers go positive; hence +/- solutions for any equations with square roots. For odd powers, negatives stay negative, and positives stay positive. Therefore odd roots of a negative will be negative, and odd roots of a positive are positive. Hence no +/- in the answer.
Original post by Zacken
could you post the original question and your working out?

Taken from the Edexcel C3 Modular Maths Textbook - Exercise 6C Questions: 5(e) and 5(g)

Solve, for the values of θ\theta in the interval 0θ3600 \leq \theta \leq 360

Q5(e)
Q5e.jpg

Q5(g)
Attachment not found
Original post by RDKGames
Nope.

Take -1 for instance. Squaring it, or raising it to any even power, will give the result of +1. This is also the case for the number +1 itself, if you raise it to any even power.

If you were to cube -1, then you would be multiplying it by itself 3 times and you come back to -1 again. Same with any odd power. Now if you apply odd powers to the number +1, then you would just come back to +1 again.

So; for even powers, all numbers go positive; hence +/- solutions for any equations with square roots. For odd powers, negatives stay negative, and positives stay positive. Therefore odd roots of a negative will be negative, and odd roots of a positive are positive. Hence no +/- in the answer.

Oh yeah!! That's it! Thank you so much. I don't know why but I seem to know these things already but when it comes to applying it to questions I panic and forget simple things like that.

Great explanation. It makes perfect sense now.
Taken from the Edexcel C3 Modular Maths Textbook - Exercise 6C Questions: 5(e) and 5(g)

Solve, for the values of θ\theta in the interval 0θ3600 \leq \theta \leq 360

A bit messy.

So you have sec2θ=43\sec^2\theta = \frac{4}{3} so cos2θ=34\cos^2\theta = \frac{3}{4} since you take reciprocals of both sides.

At which point cosθ=±32\cos \theta = \pm \frac{\sqrt3}{2}

Your tan looks good but it would just be easier to rewrite cube root of 1/8 as 1/2.

Also I think learning and remembering the general solutions of trigonometric functions in FP1 can make it so much neater for you to solve these types in C3. It's a really short topic, look at it if you can. I feel like the quadrant thing just leaves much more room for error.
(edited 7 years ago)

Your tan looks good

:smile:
A bit messy.

So you have sec2θ=43\sec^2\theta = \frac{4}{3} so cos2θ=34\cos^2\theta = \frac{3}{4} since you take reciprocals of both sides.

At which point cosθ=±32\cos \theta = \pm \frac{\sqrt3}{2}

Your tan looks good but it would just be easier to rewrite cube root of 1/8 as 1/2.

Also I think learning and remembering the general solutions of trigonometric functions in FP1 can make it so much neater for you to solve these types in C3. It's a really short topic, look at it if you can. I feel like the quadrant thing just leaves much more room for error.

Oh yeah. I didn't think of just taking the reciprocal of both sides since.. sec is the reciprocal of cos :colondollar:

This is why I will never be goood at Maths :frown:
Ok, here I go again...

Solve, for the values of θ\theta in the interval 180θ180-180 \leq \theta \leq 180

How do I even solve this equation?...

3cotθ=2sinθ 3 \cot \theta =2sin\theta
Ok, here I go again...

Solve, for the values of θ\theta in the interval 180θ180-180 \leq \theta \leq 180

How do I even solve this equation?...

3cotθ=2sinθ 3 \cot \theta =2sin\theta

Rewrite cot in terms of sin and cos. Get sine squared, get cos squared from that. Boom you got a quadratic in terms of cos.
(edited 7 years ago)
Rewrite cot in terms of sin and cos. Get sine squared, get cos squared from that. Boom you got a quadratic in terms of cos.

Ok so I'm up to...

3cosθ=2sin2θ3cos \theta = 2sin^2 \theta

how do I get cos squared from that? :frown:
Ok so I'm up to...

3cosθ=2sin2θ3cos \theta = 2sin^2 \theta

how do I get cos squared from that? :frown:

sin2θ+cos2θ1\sin^2 \theta+\cos^2 \theta \equiv 1

I'm not sure I can see where to use that trig identity for 3cosθ=2sin2θ3cos \theta=2sin^2 \theta :frown:

Edit: wait yeah I can see it!! I was being silly

Thanks again!! I just needed prompting for that equation :smile:

I managed to get...

3cosθ=2sin2θ3cos \theta=2sin^2 \theta

3cosθ=2(1cos2θ)3cos \theta=2(1-cos^2 \theta)

3cosθ=22cos2θ3cos \theta=2-2cos^2 \theta

2cos2θ+3cosθ2=02cos^2 \theta +3cos \theta -2 =0

(2cosθ1)(cosθ+2)=0(2cos \theta -1)(cos \theta+2) = 0

Seriously appreciate your help. Sorry I'm such a pest :frown:
Thanks again!! I just needed prompting for that equation :smile:

I managed to get...

3cosθ=2sin2θ3cos \theta=2sin^2 \theta

3cosθ=2(1cos2θ)3cos \theta=2(1-cos^2 \theta)

3cosθ=22cos2θ3cos \theta=2-2cos^2 \theta

2cos2θ+3cosθ2=02cos^2 \theta +3cos \theta -2 =0

(2cosθ1)(cosθ+2)=0(2cos \theta -1)(cos \theta+2) = 0

Seriously appreciate your help. Sorry I'm such a pest :frown:

Yeah that's correct, not a pest :smile:. So now

2cosθ1=02\cos \theta - 1 = 0

or

cosθ+2=0\cos \theta + 2 = 0
2cot2θcotθ5=02 \cot^2 \theta - \cot \theta - 5=0

^Do I start off by using the quadratic formula on this?

Or shall I use the Trig rule ... cotθ=1tan=cosθsinθ\cot \theta = \frac{1}{tan} =\frac{cos \theta}{sin \theta}
(edited 7 years ago)
2cot2θcotθ5=02 \cot^2 \theta - \cot \theta - 5=0

^Do I start off by factorising this? :frown:

Yeah. Or completing the square.
Yeah. Or completing the square.

Or shall I use the Trig rule ... cotθ=1tan=cosθsinθ\cot \theta = \frac{1}{tan} =\frac{cos \theta}{sin \theta} ??
Or shall I use the Trig rule ... cotθ=1tan=cosθsinθ\cot \theta = \frac{1}{tan} =\frac{cos \theta}{sin \theta} ??

No need, the quadratic is all in terms of a single unknown variable and that's as simple as it gets.

Quick Reply

Latest