The Student Room Group

Innocent Muslim attacked in NYC

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by alevelstresss
you can make an approximation based on the university of choice and the subject as well.

for example, going to oxford for history or geography is something lesser than going for physics or maths.
Jeez! More gereralisations. You just can't help yourself, can you? So far, we have had...
All Muslims are brown foreigners
All Muslims are easily identifiable
All Muslim females wear the hijab/burqa
All Islamist terrorists are victims
You can tell how clever someone is by their university

Did I miss any?

And I blocked QE2 because he is a troll, but you can feel free to rush and defend him because his views are complimentary to your hatred towards Islam.

What's wrong with "hating" and opposing a religion (or certain interpretations of it) that contributes to much discrimination, persecution, violence and human suffering?

Are you supportive and sympathetic to Islam, even when it is seen to permit the execution of Apostates, FGM or child marriage and other practices/beliefs you'll presumably oppose?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by HAnwar
Yeah just because you don't see the condemnations, doesn't mean they don't exist.
@h333 and I both expressed our disapproval of the suicide bombing on shias in Saudi a couple of months ago on ISOC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't see them, so I apologise for any unwitting errors made (feel free to post a link), although I have been on ISOC after attacks on Shia, atheists, etc and seen nothing from anyone. However, I have never seen your glorious leaders, Ideas and Ash, condemn attacks by Syrian rebels for example, yet barely a day goes by without asking Allah to punish pro-Assadists for their attacks.
Surely all violence against civilians is bad?
Reply 143
Original post by Cain Tesfaye
i disagree with pretty much every one of your posts (and all of your beliefs), but i can't disagree with this.

it's like tsr has been taken over by alt right racists.
Yet another person completely missing the point of the posts. Doesn't anyone read anything properly anymore?
Reply 144
Its easy to judge it based on their Islamic clothing, if they're wearing it. How many more times are you going to spam this?
Obviously missed my post with all the photos of non-Muslims wearing Islamic clothing.
Are you still blocking me?
Original post by Emperor Trajan
What's wrong with "hating" and opposing a religion (or certain interpretations of it) that contributes to much discrimination, persecution, violence and human suffering?

Are you supportive and sympathetic to Islam, even when it is seen to permit the execution of Apostates, FGM or child marriage etc?

because a lot of the suffering, persecution and discrimination nowadays is carried out by people who don't give a **** about Muslims or Islam, they just use extremist tenets of the Quran to justify their violent, political agenda

the rest of the suffering, ignoring extremists, is no more significant than the suffering brought about by other religions. you might bring up sharia law or extreme versions of law, but that is simply their culture, coming in and criticising what people have lived under their entire lives is not a solution to extremism

perhaps if people called out these murderous terrorists for the scum they are, instead of legitimising them as Islamic warriors by accepting their purported motive, we would be able to prevent these more effectively.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37345442

Police are investigating this as a possible hate crime. Very sad to see this happening, I don't think belief in religion, regardless of how disturbing it may be to someone, warrants an assault in a public street.
This comes shortly after two Muslims were shot dead outside of a mosque in Queens a few weeks ago, and also a string of religious hate crimes.

This also comes after thousands have been killed in the name of islam (islamic terrorism/extremism). Now, I know this is wrong, but it's a very small problem compared to Islamic extremism.
Reply 147
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Isn't this exactly what you did in the thread about the restaurant owner who refused to serve Muslims?
Can't remember. I say an awful lot!
Ah, it's coming back to me now. Wasn't I talking theoretically about what constitutes "reasonable discrimination"? I don't think I suggested that his discrimination was reasonable, only that it may have seemed reasonable to him.

NOTE: Not every avenue that I explore during the course of discussion on a subject necessarily represents my position.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37345442

Police are investigating this as a possible hate crime. Very sad to see this happening, I don't think belief in religion, regardless of how disturbing it may be to someone, warrants an assault in a public street.
This comes shortly after two Muslims were shot dead outside of a mosque in Queens a few weeks ago, and also a string of religious hate crimes.

Oh ****. My gap year to visit to New York next year will never happen.
Reply 149
You and QE2 both hate Islam, you are ignoring the specific event which happened between me and QE2 about a month ago which led me to believe he is simply a troll. You are clueless as to why I actually did it and you're simply speculating, so please calm it.
:confused: No idea.
Original post by balanced
This also comes after thousands have been killed in the name of islam (islamic terrorism/extremism). Now, I know this is wrong, but it's a very small problem compared to Islamic extremism.

So? The woman persecuted is very very unlikely to have been personally involved in Islamic extremism - why is she suddenly deprived of basic human rights? Just because some extremist members of the religion, who have very specific political goals, use parts of the religion to justify violence - it doesn't warrant the persecution of Muslims who have the decency to follow Islam in complete compatibility with western culture.
Reply 151
As I explained, its not from a link. Its an estimate from me
So in other words "I made it up".

trawling through every single specific case of Islamic terrorism carried out in Western countries since and including the Sydney Siege.
Why so specific?
Why not look at all Islamist terrorism since 9/11? That would seem like a much more representative sample.

I am yet to find a single one where their lives didn't go to **** beforehand. Meaning that blaming Islam as the main cause is dumb, given that these things wouldn't happen in the first place if these peoples' lives didn't go bad. This suggests that extremist parts of Islam are only actually exploited when there is a demand for violence to be carried out, not the other way around.
If your claim is valid, we should expect to see approximately 4 times the levels of Islamist terrorism, committed by non-Muslims whose "lives have gone to ****", as it is the "going to ****" that causes the desire to kill, not the ideology.
And what do we find?
Oh look! In recent years, perpetrators of terrorism are something like 4 times more likely to be Islamists than any other group.

Something seems to be fundamentally flawed in your argument.
because a lot of the suffering, persecution and discrimination nowadays is carried out by people who don't give a **** about Muslims or Islam, they just use extremist tenets of the Quran to justify their violent, political agenda

So hating" and opposing a religion (or certain interpretations of it) that contributes to much discrimination, persecution, violence and human suffering, is fine?

Also could you define what constitutes as "extremist tenets" of the Quran/Islam? Is persecuting apostates, blasphemers, homosexuals, child marriage, slavery etc "extremist tenets" of Islam? (These things are justifiable via Islamic scripture by the way)

Could you also define what's "True Islam", just so we can better identify deviant/extreme interpretations?

the rest of the suffering, ignoring extremists, is no more significant than the suffering brought about by other religions.

So hating" and opposing a religion (like Islam or certain interpretations of it) that contributes to much discrimination, persecution, violence and human suffering, is fine?

you might bring up sharia law or extreme versions of law,

What's an "extreme version" of Sharia law? Is persecuting apostates, blasphemers, homosexuals, child marriage, slavery etc an "extremist version" of Sharia law? (These things are justifiable by Islamic scripture by the way)

but that is simply their culture,

Who's culture? Muslims? Muslims are not a monolithic group, with the same culture, religiosity and interpretation of Islam.

coming in and criticising what people have lived under their entire lives is not a solution to extremism

So you're a cultural/moral relativist? If a culture permits persecuting apostates, blasphemers, homosexuals, child marriage, slavery or say your existence etc, you'll be reluctant to oppose and criticize such inhumane practices?

perhaps if people called out these murderous terrorists for the scum they are

Well in relation to ISIS, it appears they're Muslims who justify their beliefs and actions via Islamic scripture.

Moreover you could apply your cultural/moral relativist logic to ISIS, "its their culture", why oppose them.

instead of legitimising them as Islamic warriors by accepting their purported motive, we would be able to prevent these more effectively.

So you'd be reluctant to criticize someone's beliefs/actions, so as to show them why they're wrong?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 153
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Just yesterday.. I stated that media look to report news in bunches to create narratives. Example being Terror attacks - in the following days they will desperately look to tie every incident in as potentially terror related. Muslim man crashes his car.. it will be breaking news insinuating a malicious attack. I went on to explain they even do it with non political stuff. @KingBradley expertly sums up this incident from the other thread:

"In a US city of 8 million people 3,256 miles away, where a murder happens almost every day, and rapes occur fivefold, a woman has had a hole the size of a twopence coin burnt into her sleeve by a passerby. This may seem insignificant but what makes this a shocking atrocity is the fact that the victim was... (wait for it)... ...a Muslim."

Stop and think about it, what are they really trying to sell you?
The Isle of Wight ferry?
Reply 154
Imagine if the Muslim had done it
We don't have to, because there are almost daily reports of Islamists committing real attacks, where people die.

Note that there has been more traffic from apologists about this "attack" than they have generated about many of the recent attacks by Islamists where dozens have died.

The permanent victim card is starting to look very dog-eared.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TSR Mustafa
This logic is retarded lmao , since my mum is ill im gonna go attack people , feel sorry for me :wink:

Agreed. I lost my parent to an illness but I still wouldn't do something like this.
Original post by saraxh
Agreed. I lost my parent to an illness but I still wouldn't do something like this.

Sorry to hear that, in a similar position atm :L
Original post by BaconandSauce
Yes easily given the myriad of examples we could pick from

But for a start we'd at least wait for the facts before rushing to play the victim card

You fools are defending him, hypothetically giving the fool cancer and all the rest. The fact is HE BURNT HER. That is a crime. She was wearing a hijab and hadn't provoked him. I'm not surprised your ability to make logical conclusions is suddenly impaired now that the victim is Muslim - which as you pointed out - happens quite regularly.

The bias is quite disgusting. If the attacker was Muslim the papers would emphasise that - So why not when the victim is Muslim?

The political climate in America also plays a role but clearly burying your head is easier that facing up to the truth.
Original post by Emperor Trajan
So hating" and opposing a religion (or certain interpretations of it) that contributes to much discrimination, persecution, violence and human suffering, is fine?

Also could you define what constitutes as "extremist tenets" of the Quran/Islam? Is persecuting apostates, blasphemers, homosexuals, child marriage, slavery etc "extremist tenets" of Islam? (These things are justifiable via Islamic scripture by the way)

Could you also define what's "True Islam", just so we can better identify deviant/extreme interpretations?

So hating" and opposing a religion (like Islam or certain interpretations of it) that contributes to much discrimination, persecution, violence and human suffering, is fine?

What's an "extreme version" of Sharia law? Is persecuting apostates, blasphemers, homosexuals, child marriage, slavery etc an "extremist version" of Sharia law? (These things are justifiable by Islamic scripture by the way)

Who's culture? Muslims? Muslims are not a monolithic group, with the same culture, religiosity and interpretation of Islam.

So you're a cultural/moral relativist? If a culture permits persecuting apostates, blasphemers, homosexuals, child marriage, slavery or say your existence etc, you'll be reluctant to oppose and criticize such inhumane practices?

Well in relation to ISIS, it appears they're Muslims who justify their beliefs and actions via Islamic scripture.

Moreover you could apply your cultural/moral relativist logic to ISIS, "its their culture", why oppose them.

So you'd be reluctant to criticize someone's beliefs/actions, so as to show them why they're wrong?

Hating a religion can be justified, just not because of the actions of terrorists who evidently purport a different version of Islam to which 1.6 billion people follow. A failure to acknowledge this is reckless.

You can look up definitions yourself.

Extreme versions of Sharia Law are the ones put into practice by ISIL, almost all other forms of Sharia Law are moderate and not "throwing gays off roofs and limb-chopping" - there's no set list of things that Sharia Law practices.

My point about culture is that these people have lived their entire lives under Islam. Coming in and criticising it, however right or wrong you think it is, is obviously going to offend them - and is a part of the problem.

ISIS nitpick parts of the Quran that satisfy their political needs, I'm pretty sure they ignored the parts where you're supposed to be welcoming to guests, where you can't kill female hostages, where you can't use terror for political gain, where aggressive warfare is forbidden.

And I question that they actually believe these things. Yelling allahu ackbar before killing 30 people does not instantaneously mean that they are devout Muslims, its a trap they set to maximise the impact of their attack, and many people fall for it. If they really care about Muslims, they wouldn't do these attacks.
Original post by saraxh

Sorry to hear that hun, I hope you're okay Sarah! x

I am Muslim and I think it is sad that people won't just admit that he was not justified in hurting her. As Muslims we are the first to stand up and condemn hateful acts as if we are responsible for the actions of 1.7 billion people in over 100 countries. Imagine if she didn't pat out the flame it could have seriously hurt her!
So disgusting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending