The Student Room Group

Applying to American Universities

Hi I am in year 12 and what are some extracurricular activities i could do over my summer to impress Columbia
Reply 1
This is the wrong approach to have when applying to any US university, not just Columbia. When applying, admissions officers want to see that you are actually passionate about the extracurriculars you do - if you've only been doing them for so long just to "impress" a university, they'll see right through that. Instead, focus on doing what you enjoy. Show that through your Common App essay, your ECs and your supplementals, and, more importantly, be 100% sure that a university is the right fit for you, not just because of the prestige.
Reply 2
Original post by KeanuC
This is the wrong approach to have when applying to any US university, not just Columbia. When applying, admissions officers want to see that you are actually passionate about the extracurriculars you do - if you've only been doing them for so long just to "impress" a university, they'll see right through that. Instead, focus on doing what you enjoy. Show that through your Common App essay, your ECs and your supplementals, and, more importantly, be 100% sure that a university is the right fit for you, not just because of the

Yh I have had a long interest in Columbia and the courses I want to study there but be I feel like I’m lacking things for when I apply , also if I am applying early decision do my year 12 grade mocks matter.
Original post by student14476
Yh I have had a long interest in Columbia and the courses I want to study there but be I feel like I’m lacking things for when I apply , also if I am applying early decision do my year 12 grade mocks matter.

In most cases, your year 12 mock grades will be used by your school to determine your predicted grades - which do matter. So yes, they will.

Once again, do things because you genuinely enjoy them, not to impress a university. They'll see right through that
Reply 4
I if my mock grades aren’t as good do you think ifi took the SAT and got a good result that could make up for it a bit

Original post by ry7xsfa
In most cases, your year 12 mock grades will be used by your school to determine your predicted grades - which do matter. So yes, they will.

Once again, do things because you genuinely enjoy them, not to impress a university. They'll see right through that
I if my mock grades aren’t as good do you think ifi took the SAT and got a good result that could make up for it a bit

What are your reasons for wanting to apply to Columbia?
Reply 6
Original post by Sandtrooper
What are your reasons for wanting to apply to Columbia?

The area and not having to commit to a specific degree straight away
The area and not having to commit to a specific degree straight away

There are plenty of other New York universities, such as the SUNY schools, CUNY, and even more. Living in downtown NYC is EXTREMELY expensive - I cannot understate that enough, so I'd also recommend looking at other cities as well. Also, many US universities don't make you commit to a degree straight away and even if they do then you can usually change very easily. So, I'd have a look at other universities and consider non-Ivies and even non-NYC schools. Have a look at majors and affordability, as well as facilities, and, most importantly, financial aid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending