The Student Room Group

Another Education crisis

I cant decide what to do i could either

Go back to college and complete Access to higher Education crimiology and Law. and maybe functional skills in maths. Try with everything i have and pass and go to a brick uni. all this will take 4 years

OR

I could study with the open unvesity with a degree am already registered for crimiology an psycology which could take 6 years i really dont want to be doing a degree for 6 years.

I dont know what to do am 21 and i feel old. By the time i finishs my degree and actually have a career i'll be well in my late 30s or 40s which sucks.

i have attempted maths since i was 16 and i have failed at every attempt. I dont have a leve 3 qualification so no bric uni will take me

I am very impatient. With the Ou degree i'll be working along side it am curretly looking for 40 hrs a week job to be able to house share (i hate living at home)

With a brick by the time am finshed i'll 25 and unemployed and back to living at home :frown:

I want to be indepedant, the only reson i want to go to brick uni is so that i could get out of home.

I was thinking of possiby doing one year at the open university then transfering to a brick uni if any will take me

i dont know what to do any advice
Reply 1
Original post by oneofthegirls
I cant decide what to do i could either

Go back to college and complete Access to higher Education crimiology and Law. and maybe functional skills in maths. Try with everything i have and pass and go to a brick uni. all this will take 4 years

OR

I could study with the open unvesity with a degree am already registered for crimiology an psycology which could take 6 years i really dont want to be doing a degree for 6 years.

I dont know what to do am 21 and i feel old. By the time i finishs my degree and actually have a career i'll be well in my late 30s or 40s which sucks.

i have attempted maths since i was 16 and i have failed at every attempt. I dont have a leve 3 qualification so no bric uni will take me

I am very impatient. With the Ou degree i'll be working along side it am curretly looking for 40 hrs a week job to be able to house share (i hate living at home)

With a brick by the time am finshed i'll 25 and unemployed and back to living at home :frown:

I want to be indepedant, the only reson i want to go to brick uni is so that i could get out of home.

I was thinking of possiby doing one year at the open university then transfering to a brick uni if any will take me

i dont know what to do any advice

I went back to uni at 27 with the same fears, moved into halls with 19/20 year olds and sat in my room on the first night thinking 'omg! What have I done!' The experience hasnt been perfect but im so glad I did it.

I have some good job prospects next year due to the people and companies I engaged with while at uni, I cant imagine the same can be said of open uni.

Do you have any AS or A2 qualifications? I started an access course full time but found due to my age and work experience the course leader made me an offer directly and I only needed 1 relevant A level to get in so I did it fasttrack online over 6 months. Just a thought, if you have experience or professional qualifications they may count, dont bother with the admissions department though its black and white to them try the course leader directly. Especially if they like you they can pull strings.

I was sick during my final exam in the third year then had my loan delayed last year so im about to start my 5th year of study on a three year degree. Now im 31!

Honestly though it doesnt matter, dont think of it as one long drag because it isnt. Some i started with were in their 50's it doesnt matter. Id say you are about the right age to go, a bit more knowlegable and mature, it will serve you well.
Original post by r4dly

Do you have any AS or A2 qualifications? l.

I only have Level 2 qualifications And a Grade G in maths am thinking of also doing functional skills maths. And hopfully that will be enought for atleast one sophisticated uni to take me
Reply 3
Original post by oneofthegirls
I only have Level 2 qualifications And a Grade G in maths am thinking of also doing functional skills maths. And hopfully that will be enought for atleast one sophisticated uni to take me

Are you set on your choice of course and uni?

I picked a maritime degree at Solent (which is a **** uni) but the course is outstanding, has a high employment rate and is respected world wide. From there I transfered to Plymouth based on my grades from Solent, which is a better uni.

There are very round about ways of getting what you want, when I graduate my degree will be from Plymouth but my study ay solent has got me some great prospects all over the world. So you can have the best of both worlds.

I would make a list of the courses and universities you are interested in, dont limit yourself to pretigous red brick unis, try some of the lesser ones as well. Speak to the course leaders and go through what grades you currently have and see what response you get. Be knowlegable about the course you want and sound passionate about it. Some of the guys I started with couldnt even speak english when we started so you have an advantage just being British.

Looking at some of the other threads on this forum some universities will accept you with no Maths GCSE, so do your research and see where you can go of you dont get it, then transfer to one you like.

UCAS points only apply to level 3 qualifications now so potentially you might get away with it. When I started you needed a lot more points to get entry onto the courses as gcses were taken into consideration.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending