The Student Room Group

Maths - proof

I need to prove that (1 + x/n)^n tends to e^x as n tends to infinity. could someone give me a step by step proof?
Original post by Shinjimonkey
I need to prove that (1 + x/n)^n tends to e^x as n tends to infinity. could someone give me a step by step proof?

Do you know where to start? Have you tried anything?
Original post by RDKGames
Do you know where to start? Have you tried anything?

I am trying to:

ln(1+x/n)^n
= n ln (1+x/n)

but I do not know whether this is right or not

We know that:

(1+xn)n=enln(1+xn)\displaystyle (1+\frac{x}{n})^n=e^{n \ln(1+\frac{x}{n})}

ex=1+x+x22!+x33!+...+xrr!+...\displaystyle e^x=1+x+\frac{x^2}{2!}+\frac{x^3}{3!}+...+\frac{x^r}{r!}+...

ln(1+x)=xx22+x33...+(1)rxrr!+...\displaystyle \ln(1+x) = x-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{3}-...+(-1)^r\frac{x^r}{r!}+...

Can you work from there??
We know that:

(1+xn)n=enln(1+xn)\displaystyle (1+\frac{x}{n})^n=e^{n \ln(1+\frac{x}{n})}

ex=1+x+x22!+x33!+...+xrr!+...\displaystyle e^x=1+x+\frac{x^2}{2!}+\frac{x^3}{3!}+...+\frac{x^r}{r!}+...

ln(1+x)=xx22+x33...+(1)rxrr!+...\displaystyle \ln(1+x) = x-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{3}-...+(-1)^r\frac{x^r}{r!}+...

Can you work from there??

how do we know the first rule that you have given?
how do we know the first rule that you have given?

Because enln(1+xn)=eln[(1+xn)n]=(1+xn)n\displaystyle e^{n \ln(1+\frac{x}{n})}= e^{\ln[(1+\frac{x}{n})^n]}=(1+ \frac{x}{n})^n

Simple logarithm manipulation whereby eln(b)=be^{\ln(b)}=b
(edited 7 years ago)
Because enln(1+xn)=eln[(1+xn)n]=(1+xn)n\displaystyle e^{n \ln(1+\frac{x}{n})}= e^{\ln[(1+\frac{x}{n})^n]}=(1+ \frac{x}{n})^n

Simple logarithm manipulation whereby eln(b)=be^{\ln(b)}=b

I see... as n tends to infinity, x/n tends to 0, so ln(1+x/n) tends to 0, therefore
n ln(1+x/n) = 0. then wouldn't (1+x/n)^n tend to 1?
I see... as n tends to infinity, x/n tends to 0, so ln(1+x/n) tends to 0

Correct.

therefore n ln(1+x/n) = 0. then wouldn't (1+x/n)^n tend to 1?

Not quite. Using the expansion for ln(1+x)\ln(1+x) you would find that:

nln(1+xn)=n[xnx22n2+x33n3...]\displaystyle n \ln(1+\frac{x}{n}) = n[\frac{x}{n}-\frac{x^2}{2n^2}+\frac{x^3}{3n^3}-...]

nln(1+xn)=xx22n+x33n2...\displaystyle \Rightarrow n \ln(1+\frac{x}{n}) = x-\frac{x^2}{2n}+\frac{x^3}{3n^2}-...

Therefore from the RHS you can see that as n goes to infinity, you are left with xx and not a 0.
Correct.

Not quite. Using the expansion for ln(1+x)\ln(1+x) you would find that:

nln(1+xn)=n[xnx22n2+x33n3...]\displaystyle n \ln(1+\frac{x}{n}) = n[\frac{x}{n}-\frac{x^2}{2n^2}+\frac{x^3}{3n^3}-...]

nln(1+xn)=xx22n+x33n2...\displaystyle \Rightarrow n \ln(1+\frac{x}{n}) = x-\frac{x^2}{2n}+\frac{x^3}{3n^2}-...

Therefore from the RHS you can see that as n goes to infinity, you are left with xx and not a 0.

I don't quite understand why ln(1+x/n) expands to that?
I don't quite understand why ln(1+x/n) expands to that?

I hope you understand where the expansion for ln(1+x)\displaystyle \ln(1+x) comes from.

If you're okay with that, the transition from ln(1+x)\displaystyle \ln(1+x) to nln(1+xn)\displaystyle n \ln(1+\frac{x}{n}) is quite straight forward as xxn\displaystyle x \mapsto \frac{x}{n} so you replace every xx with xn\displaystyle \frac{x}{n}. Then of course, the whole series is simply multiplied by nn
(edited 7 years ago)
I hope you understand where the expansion for ln(1+x)\displaystyle \ln(1+x) comes from.

If you're okay with that, the transition from ln(1+x)\displaystyle \ln(1+x) to nln(1+xn)\displaystyle n \ln(1+\frac{x}{n}) is quite straight forward as xxn\displaystyle x \mapsto \frac{x}{n} so you replace every xx with xn\displaystyle \frac{x}{n}. Then of course, the whole series is simply multiplied by nn

I do not quite understand why the expansion of ln(1+x) come from? Could you explain please? thank you for the help!

I understand now. I just realised that ln(!+x) = integral of 1/(1+t) to the limits x to 0. Thanks for the help!
I do not quite understand why the expansion of ln(1+x) come from? Could you explain please? thank you for the help!

It follows from Maclaurin's Series whereby any function f(x)f(x) can be rewritten as a sum of derivatives with increasing powers of x.

f(x)=f(0)+f(0)x+f(0)2!x2+...+fr(0)r!xr+...\displaystyle f(x)=f(0)+f'(0)x+\frac{f''(0)}{2!}x^2+...+\frac{f^r(0)}{r!}x^r+...

So let f(x)=ln(1+x)\displaystyle f(x)=\ln(1+x) and perform this. You will get out with an infinite summation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibGZapvnB-M
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest