The Student Room Group

Just a question

I heard that you had to drop an Alevel if your doing 4 in the second year of college. What if you do good in all of the subjects and want to keep them all. Is that like not possible? Is here people who actually come out with four Alevels?
Original post by Kayeen
I heard that you had to drop an Alevel if your doing 4 in the second year of college. What if you do good in all of the subjects and want to keep them all. Is that like not possible? Is here people who actually come out with four Alevels?

Keeping all 4 subjects isn't compulsory, in fact most students drop one of their subjects and just take 3 of them on to A2. I think this system has changed though, and now a lot of subjects have to be taken for the 2 years as there are no AS exams. In this case, it is advisable to just take 3 subjects instead of 4 :smile:
Original post by Kayeen

How many subjects you are allowed to start and how many you can continue to full A level depends on decisions made by your school/college. Different schools will have different policies. It may depend on their judgement of your ability or may be limited by teaching/timetable options. It used to be common to take 4 or 3 full A levels and an AS but because of new linear A levels that is changing to 3 subjects in many schools.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Leviathan1741
Keeping all 4 subjects isn't compulsory, in fact most students drop one of their subjects and just take 3 of them on to A2. I think this system has changed though, and now a lot of subjects have to be taken for the 2 years as there are no AS exams. In this case, it is advisable to just take 3 subjects instead of 4 :smile:

I can't decide between the four I have, I kinda like them all. I don't know which one I would drop tbh so I was thinking if I did very well (it might not happen) in all 4 Alevel subjects would they let me keep doing 4 in the second year.
Original post by Kayeen
I can't decide between the four I have, I kinda like them all. I don't know which one I would drop tbh so I was thinking if I did very well (it might not happen) in all 4 Alevel subjects would they let me keep doing 4 in the second year.

Whether you can keep all 4 depends on your college really, I'd suggest asking your director of studies for example to find out whether that would be an option :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest