The Student Room Group

OCR Biology (AS)

Its been 2/3weeks since I started my A-levels. I am eager to get A* in Biology but I don't know where to start. I just want to do well and I want to make my parents proud. I will be grateful if you've shared your experience of studying OCR Biology - and what's the best way to start revision?

Also, I have mock exams in November and January and I have a lot of topics to catch up with in a short period
Make concise notes from the spec, understanding everything then start on your past papers
omg omg I'm your girl! I achieved an A in A Level Bio. I prob could have got an A* if only I hadn't been so lazy with the final A2 module. But oh well, I'm pretty chuffed with my result.
I feel like my revision techniques reallllly helped me. Honestly the secret to doing well in A Level Bio is UNDERSTANDING and not rote memorisation. Some teachers will tell you that bio is just memorisation. Honestly what a load of BS! Seriously, what you need to focus on is really UNDERSTANDING things and when you achieve that your mind will automatically 'memorise' the info. And in order to get a true understanding you need to use as many GOOD resources as you can. It's upto you if you want to rely on the OCR official textbook but I personally ditched it (okay an exaggeration, I guess the contents page was kind of useful.. :P), in favour of other much much better resources that were detailed and incredibly clear. For instance I used resources from www.gapteaching.com
I used the ones for the old spec however the author seems to have created new ones for the new spec. Honestly these resources are pretty amazing. I don't know what else is so comprehensive and detailed yet just enough to do really really well at A Level Bio. They aren pretty cheap too. I mean most of the resources are like the size of a text book but they are presented in a very concise and easy to follow manner. Seriously, start using resources like these from day 1 of your A Level Bio studies because THAT will make an enormous difference to your final grade. Honestly, if you put in the effort now and dig out resources like these and actually use them then success will surely follow. your teachers simply wont have the time, energy or motivation to properly cover topics in class so make sure you make the effort yourself!
Original post by Luminique
omg omg I'm your girl! I achieved an A in A Level Bio. I prob could have got an A* if only I hadn't been so lazy with the final A2 module. But oh well, I'm pretty chuffed with my result.
I feel like my revision techniques reallllly helped me. Honestly the secret to doing well in A Level Bio is UNDERSTANDING and not rote memorisation. Some teachers will tell you that bio is just memorisation. Honestly what a load of BS! Seriously, what you need to focus on is really UNDERSTANDING things and when you achieve that your mind will automatically 'memorise' the info. And in order to get a true understanding you need to use as many GOOD resources as you can. It's upto you if you want to rely on the OCR official textbook but I personally ditched it (okay an exaggeration, I guess the contents page was kind of useful.. :P), in favour of other much much better resources that were detailed and incredibly clear. For instance I used resources from www.gapteaching.com
I used the ones for the old spec however the author seems to have created new ones for the new spec. Honestly these resources are pretty amazing. I don't know what else is so comprehensive and detailed yet just enough to do really really well at A Level Bio. They aren pretty cheap too. I mean most of the resources are like the size of a text book but they are presented in a very concise and easy to follow manner. Seriously, start using resources like these from day 1 of your A Level Bio studies because THAT will make an enormous difference to your final grade. Honestly, if you put in the effort now and dig out resources like these and actually use them then success will surely follow. your teachers simply wont have the time, energy or motivation to properly cover topics in class so make sure you make the effort yourself!

Ahhh, thank you soooo much for telling. It just make me relieved and I will follow your advice for sure. Also congrats for your Biology A-level , you aced it! :smile:x
Original post by HopelessMedic
Make concise notes from the spec, understanding everything then start on your past papers

Thank you :smile:
Original post by sophia.f
Thank you :smile:

Go over what you learnt in class when you come home! There's so much content!!
@Luminique You paid for your notes :K:

Woudn't it be better to make your own notes as you would be more likely to remember them?
Its been 2/3weeks since I started my A-levels. I am eager to get A* in Biology but I don't know where to start. I just want to do well and I want to make my parents proud. I will be grateful if you've shared your experience of studying OCR Biology - and what's the best way to start revision?

Also, I have mock exams in November and January and I have a lot of topics to catch up with in a short period

Make notes after each lesson and do past papers over and over again. I went over my AS stuff in the summer and am continuing to do so. I'm doing a topic a week.
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
@Luminique You paid for your notes :K:

Woudn't it be better to make your own notes as you would be more likely to remember them?

Yes ofcourse. Just like paying for a textbook. You don't just passively read the stuff :smile: I made tonnes of my own notes using these notes along with all the other resources. It's just that these 'gapteaching' notes were like a very good, detailed textbook with a wealth of very useful info. Though a bit of a process eventually I ended up with very comprehensive revision notes so I had a very complete picture of the topics I was studying.
Ahhh, thank you soooo much for telling. It just make me relieved and I will follow your advice for sure. Also congrats for your Biology A-level , you aced it! :smile:x

No problem! Any more q's on revision, advice etc. feel free to pm me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest