The Student Room Group

Benzene

So a benzene with one NH2 group is called phenylamine but what if it has 2 NH2 groups?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by 5anah
So a benzene with one NH2 group is called phenylamine but what if it has 2 NH2 groups?

Phenylenediamine. You'd have to specify the spatial relationship of the groups to each other though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 5anah

It depends where they are:
as in 1,2-diphenylamine, number correlating with the location of the amine groups I think
Original post by SilverActor2033
It depends where they are:
as in 1,2-diphenylamine, number correlating with the location of the amine groups I think

Diphenylamine isn't benzene with 2 NH2 groups...
Reply 5
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Diphenylamine isn't benzene with 2 NH2 groups...

True, diphenylamine is two benzene rings attached to a nitrogen atom which is also attached to a hydrogen atom. For two amine grips attached to a benzene ring it would be something like 1,2-diaminobenzene.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hozo
True, diphenylamine is two benzene rings attached to a nitrogen atom which is also attached to a hydrogen atom. For two amine grips attached to a benzene ring it would be something like 1,2-diaminobenzene.

I think Phenylenediamine is the preferred name with para, ortho or meta used as a prefix to show the positioning of the amine groups.

Quick Reply

Latest