The Student Room Group

Help pleaseGCSE MATHS Q

110 men and women visit a cinema. There are 20% more men than women. How many men are at the cinema. How do I work this out?
take the number of women in the cinema to be x

if there's 20% more men than women, the number of men would be 1.2x

so, x + 1.2x = 110

solve for x to find the number of women, and from there you can work out the number of men.
Original post by justinawe
take the number of women in the cinema to be x

if there's 20% more men than women, the number of men would be 1.2x

so, x + 1.2x = 110

solve for x to find the number of women, and from there you can work out the number of men.

Yeah that makes no sense to me. Where are you getting 1.2 from.. Plus the answer is 60 men and 50 women. I did not get anywhere near that answer by solving x+1.2x=110
Original post by alevelssuck_
Yeah that makes no sense to me. Where are you getting 1.2 from.. Plus the answer is 60 men and 50 women. I did not get anywhere near that answer by solving x+1.2x=110

a 20% increase means 120% of the original value. the original value is obviously 100% of itself. 120÷100=1.2, therefore a 20% increase is the same as multiplying by 1.2

Could you show your working for solving that equation? You should be getting x=50, which is the correct answer for the number of women.
a 20% increase means 120% of the original value. the original value is obviously 100% of itself. 120÷100=1.2, therefore a 20% increase is the same as multiplying by 1.2

Could you show your working for solving that equation? You should be getting x=50, which is the correct answer for the number of women.

Could you please show me how you done your workings?
Could you please show me how you done your workings?

x + 1.2x = 110

2.2x = 110

x = 110/2.2 = 50
x + 1.2x = 110

2.2x = 110

x = 110/2.2 = 50

I get that thank you but I thought you couldnt actually add the x with 1.2x as theyre different things
Reply 7
I get that thank you but I thought you couldnt actually add the x with 1.2x as theyre different things

What's effectively in front of the x is a 1. If you were to put a 1 in front of the x, then you would still end up with 2.2x, does that make any sense?

1x + 1.2x = 2.2x
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by L0st45
What's effectively in front of the x is a 1. If you were to put a 1 in front of the x, then you would still end up with 2.2x, does that make any sense?

1x + 1.2x = 2.2x

Yeah it does thank you

Quick Reply

Latest