The Student Room Group

How to get an A in Chemistry anyone???

I just started year 12 and I do bio,chem,maths and psychology. I have to say that even though it is just the beginning I am struggling a lot in chemistry. I really need a minimum of an A in chemistry cause I will apply for dentistry in Uni. Does anyone have any tips on how to revise and get a good grade?????:s-smilie:
Reply 1
Original post by Pigeon 2
I just started year 12 and I do bio,chem,maths and psychology. I have to say that even though it is just the beginning I am struggling a lot in chemistry. I really need a minimum of an A in chemistry cause I will apply for dentistry in Uni. Does anyone have any tips on how to revise and get a good grade?????:s-smilie:

Here's a nice website that I used for my AS :smile:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/
The person who made the website also made a textbook on calculations which is good if you struggle with those
Reply 2
Have a copy of specification and understand the content and apply it to as many questions as you can get your hands on... remember chemistry is chemistry, so you can do previous spec papers, or different exam board papers as all have similar content.

Ask your teacher about anything you don't get.. you can't get a good grade without understanding the content, so make sure you leave the class knowing the content as this saves time on revision.

I think just the process of making flash cards and your own notes, even if you don't touch them after making them helps a lot..

Nothing else really, find as many resources as you can find; try asking your teacher for suggestions on books, websites, etc.
write all ur notes out, learn them then past papers nonstop, do them twice or three times even if you have to its how I achieved AAA in sciences. You dont even have to understand it.
Reply 4
Use chemguide, and understand stuff.
Original post by Pigeon 2

Hey, omg I am doing the same exact a levels, i am also finding chem so hard. What exam board are you for chem and bio?
Reply 6
Past papers.
The first time round, I got a D. I retook the second year and 1 of the AS exams and got an A. Both times I made neat copies of my notes and used flash cards. But i couldnt answer the questions.
I printed every exam paper from my exam board, as soon as I'd finished a topic, I answered all of the relevant questions and marked them. Once we'd completed the whole unit, I did papers again. I kept my books open, but wrote in different colours. If I answered without looking at any info, i gave myself bonus points and set a target. If i reached it I rewarded myself, with a movie or id meet my friend for coffee, then the next time I had a higher target.
I think it helped. By the time I got to the exam I was bored with answering questions. The examiners might change the style of the question but they're pretty much after the same information each time. It felt like a routine.
The othet thing i did was if i didnt understand a question after reading it 3 times, i marked it with a little star and moved on. More than a few times I'd be thinking about another question and id remember what to put for the one I couldn't do.
Chemistry is one of the hardest A-levels. But you can do it.
Good luck!
Reply 7
I am doing OCR
Original post by Freshstart123
Hey, omg I am doing the same exact a levels, i am also finding chem so hard. What exam board are you for chem and bio?

Quick Reply

Latest