The Student Room Group

Oxford Chemistry 2024 Entry

Anyone else applying for Chemistry at Oxford? I do A-Level Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics and I'm applying to Lincoln College.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chemgirl236
Anyone else applying for Chemistry at Oxford? I do A-Level Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics and I'm applying to Lincoln College.

Hi, similar A levels but biology instead of physics. And just got my rejection email today… good luck!
Original post by Sheny1155665
Hi, similar A levels but biology instead of physics. And just got my rejection email today… good luck!

What college was it from?
Original post by Anonymous #1
What college was it from?

St peter
Original post by Sheny1155665
St peter

Sorry to hear that. Do you know why you were rejected?
Has anyone heard about 2nd college interviews?
Yes, what about you? My heart sank when I got theemail. I thought I did quite well…
Original post by Anonymous #4
Yes, what about you? My heart sank when I got theemail. I thought I did quite well…

it doesnt mean you did badly. last year every single chem applicant who got interviews, had an interview at a 2nd college. its just to make it fair and even out where people will end up, its not about how you performed at all.
Original post by Anonymous

Second college interviews don’t necessarily mean you’ve done badly.

When I applied last year, I had to reschedule my first college interviews (with Magdalen) because I was pretty damn ill with flu. Before I had even sat my first interview with Magdalen, Somerville offered me a second college interview (this second college interview is what I would say got me in). As Magdalen had no idea how competent or inept I was by this time, it implies that second college interviews aren’t necessarily given out because your first college is disinterested in you or wants a second opinion.

it doesnt mean you did badly. last year every single chem applicant who got interviews, had an interview at a 2nd college. its just to make it fair and even out where people will end up, its not about how you performed at all.

Mostly correct. Not every chem applicant had second college interviews last year - I remember talking to several who did not get second college interview invites.
Original post by Anonymous #5

But what about this... https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/chemistry_f100_interview_scores

On the excel spreadsheet the highest scorers for chemistry last year did not have a second college interview. This was around the top 95.
Original post by Anonymous #4

Same I know people are trying to keep us happy by saying it doesn't mean anything but objectively the top two-thirds of offer holders won't get an extra interview. :frown:
Original post by TypicalNerd

When I applied last year, I had to reschedule my first college interviews (with Magdalen) because I was pretty damn ill with flu. Before I had even sat my first interview with Magdalen, Somerville offered me a second college interview (this second college interview is what I would say got me in). As Magdalen had no idea how competent or inept I was by this time, it implies that second college interviews aren’t necessarily given out because your first college is disinterested in you or wants a second opinion.

Mostly correct. Not every chem applicant had second college interviews last year - I remember talking to several who did not get second college interview invites.

does your second interview affect your chances of getting into the first college you interviewed for?
does your second interview affect your chances of getting into the first college you interviewed for?

Apparently not.

Last year, apparently the stats apparently showed that circa 30% of those who had second college interviews got in (I have no idea how this conclusion was reached if it was done with the WhatDoTheyKnow page linked elsewhere on this thread - I was informed in a PM by another user that this was the case).

Last year, 205 of all applicants got offers and 658 of all applicants (regardless of how many interviews they had) actually got as far as the interview stage. Given that to get an offer you must be interviewed first, the success rate for those interviewed was 205/658 30%.

https://www.stcatz.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Chemistry-Summary-of-Admissions-Process-for-Chemistry-2022-23.pdf
Are my chances higher of getting in with a second college interview or withought?
Are my chances higher of getting in with a second college interview or withought?

Assuming that the deduction that the success rate of those with second college interviews is 30% is correct, then there is little to no difference in the chances you have of getting an offer.

I would need to know exactly how it was calculated (though I’d probably calculate it myself with more complete data than that which I have seen thus far) to actually verify that.
Apparently not.

Last year, apparently the stats apparently showed that circa 30% of those who had second college interviews got in (I have no idea how this conclusion was reached if it was done with the WhatDoTheyKnow page linked elsewhere on this thread - I was informed in a PM by another user that this was the case).

Last year, 205 of all applicants got offers and 658 of all applicants (regardless of how many interviews they had) actually got as far as the interview stage. Given that to get an offer you must be interviewed first, the success rate for those interviewed was 205/658 30%.

https://www.stcatz.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Chemistry-Summary-of-Admissions-Process-for-Chemistry-2022-23.pdf

so even if i bottle the second one it wont mean im completely out the running?
so even if i bottle the second one it wont mean im completely out the running?

Pretty much. You could even be pooled and get extremely lucky and be offered a place anyway by another college.

Interesting... So does your preferred college have any say as to whether you get a second interview at another college?
Interesting... So does your preferred college have any say as to whether you get a second interview at another college?

I believe so.

Some tutors teach at other colleges and as a result of that overlapping teaching, you could be recommended for interviews at one of the tutors other colleges.
Original post by Anonymous #6
Same I know people are trying to keep us happy by saying it doesn't mean anything but objectively the top two-thirds of offer holders won't get an extra interview. :frown:

no?
chemistry assigns EVERYONE a second college, it's up to the college whether they want to interview you or not - i dont think it's related to the first college at all tbh? i dont think its like ppe where the first college will recommend you for second interview if they liked you and dont want you

there also used to be something about all band a contextual students getting second college interviews for chemistry but i can't see that anymore..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending