The Student Room Group

With a biomedical degree could you further study into medicine??

Hi guys,

i was wondering if i did my biomedical science degree in Westminster university which is a 3-year degree could i then move on to studying medicine in Imperial?? or is there an alternative way to get into medicine with with low AS grades.
Reply 1
Original post by mathsaddictive21
Hi guys,

i was wondering if i did my biomedical science degree in Westminster university which is a 3-year degree could i then move on to studying medicine in Imperial?? or is there an alternative way to get into medicine with with low AS grades.

This is what you mean:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/school-of-medicine/medicine-graduate-entry/

Also look at GEM at other universities (Graduate Entry Medicine)
Hi guys,

Low as grades or a2? If its just low AS grades, work your ass off and get AAA at a-level and apply to medicine as an undergraduate. Far easier than aiming for GEM.
Original post by cmr98
Hi, I'm doing biomed at Queen Mary (well, I'm currently on the foundation year but it's what I'll progress too), and as far as I know it is possible to move to medicine after biomed. However, its very very competitive, so to stand any real chance you would probably need to be in a very highly ranked university and get a first hon, and have lots and lots of relevant work experience. And I guess you'd have to make some way for you to stand out from all the other applications.

Also, Imperial are very very fussy with who they accept for medicine, and I hate to be a downer but you may want to try for a couple of other unis as well :smile:

Not the case, read the entry requirements!
Hi guys,

Also to point out, Imperial have a 5 year graduate entry programme. This means that the tuition fees aren't covered by SFE, unlike the 4 year GEM courses. So you would need at least (probably more in a few years) £36k to cover GEM at Imperial.
Original post by cmr98
Hi, I'm doing biomed at Queen Mary (well, I'm currently on the foundation year but it's what I'll progress too), and as far as I know it is possible to move to medicine after biomed. However, its very very competitive, so to stand any real chance you would probably need to be in a very highly ranked university and get a first hon, and have lots and lots of relevant work experience. And I guess you'd have to make some way for you to stand out from all the other applications.

Also, Imperial are very very fussy with who they accept for medicine, and I hate to be a downer but you may want to try for a couple of other unis as well :smile:

Thank you, will do :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending