The Student Room Group

Career concerns in studying Sociology

Hi everyone, hope you're all having a nice day.

For those that are wondering, I am in second year of sixth form studying Business Studies, English Language and Sociology.

My AS results were AA and a C in business.

The issue is that Sociology is the only one of my subjects for which I've got any real burning interest. But overall, I don't know what I want to do as a job.

I would love to study sociology, but I worry about the future, and meeting my obvious aspirations, of a good standard of living and a challenging, enjoyable occupation. Teaching had always been something I'd enjoyed the thought of, but having gone through several experiences of teaching in my time as a student, I have put on very nervous performances (given opportunities to teach to classmates). So while I hold a certain passion for that, I might lack the persona. I suppose with that, that what I'm really asking is whether I'm limiting my achievement in pursuing that degree. I love the field, but I've no career goal within it. Any help towards this problem is hugely appreciated.

Thanks (very much) if you took the time to read that.
Original post by danielargument
Hi everyone, hope you're all having a nice day.

For those that are wondering, I am in second year of sixth form studying Business Studies, English Language and Sociology.

My AS results were AA and a C in business.

The issue is that Sociology is the only one of my subjects for which I've got any real burning interest. But overall, I don't know what I want to do as a job.

I would love to study sociology, but I worry about the future, and meeting my obvious aspirations, of a good standard of living and a challenging, enjoyable occupation. Teaching had always been something I'd enjoyed the thought of, but having gone through several experiences of teaching in my time as a student, I have put on very nervous performances (given opportunities to teach to classmates). So while I hold a certain passion for that, I might lack the persona. I suppose with that, that what I'm really asking is whether I'm limiting my achievement in pursuing that degree. I love the field, but I've no career goal within it. Any help towards this problem is hugely appreciated.

Thanks (very much) if you took the time to read that.

The thing you've got to remember is that say around three quarter of graduate jobs don't require a specific degree- so there are many options potentially open to you in both not for profit and profit making sectors- go and explore the websites of charities, businesses, the civil service e.c.t to see what kinds of roles they have and see if any take your interest. At the end of the day the degree is just a small part of most grad job applications, work experience and a strong cover letter/statement and good performance in any tests if applicable matter far more.*
I say to my students that you should go for modules etc that you enjoy. I am biased but feel that Sociology and Criminology offer you interesting and useful topics that you can choose depending on your interest. As for teaching, don't give up on that due to a few poor experiences. Every teacher and lecturer will tell you they had some really poor lessons.
Original post by consensus
I say to my students that you should go for modules etc that you enjoy. I am biased but feel that Sociology and Criminology offer you interesting and useful topics that you can choose depending on your interest. As for teaching, don't give up on that due to a few poor experiences. Every teacher and lecturer will tell you they had some really poor lessons.

Thank you ever so much, I really appreciate such words of encouragement - afterall i would feel a great deal of shame in giving up on such ambitions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending