The Student Room Group

almost results day but i'm having second thoughts

i feel like i'm cutting it really close since a-level results are barely a week away now but i'm starting to have doubts about uni and whether it's actually worth going. i've already got two offers and they're both for a sociology degree but i don't know if it's worth me taking as a degree when i don't really have a long-term goal or know what i actually aim to do after uni either.

i enjoyed sociology as an a-level and had a passion for it, it was something in college i genuinely found interest in and it always kept me engaged but my parents asked me if doing sociology as a degree would be worth the debt i'd come back with and if it would lead me to a good career so i started looking into other alternatives like full time work or apprenticeships instead.

should i try find work/an apprenticeship instead? would a gap year make more sense or should i stick to uni?
Original post by happiboi
i feel like i'm cutting it really close since a-level results are barely a week away now but i'm starting to have doubts about uni and whether it's actually worth going. i've already got two offers and they're both for a sociology degree but i don't know if it's worth me taking as a degree when i don't really have a long-term goal or know what i actually aim to do after uni either.

i enjoyed sociology as an a-level and had a passion for it, it was something in college i genuinely found interest in and it always kept me engaged but my parents asked me if doing sociology as a degree would be worth the debt i'd come back with and if it would lead me to a good career so i started looking into other alternatives like full time work or apprenticeships instead.

should i try find work/an apprenticeship instead? would a gap year make more sense or should i stick to uni?

A gap year would make sense so that you have time to fully research your options before you make a decision. You could ask if you can defer your place for 2024 entry after results day.

Like any academic degree, you are not limited to 'doing something with sociology' when you graduate. You would be able to apply for the majority of graduate employment schemes, which include roles in marketing, consultancy, finance, HR, etc., or take additional qualifications for law or teaching. If sociology is your passion, go for it.

Have a look at the careers forum for information on graduate employment:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201

And the following website is a good resource for career research:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/

@happiboi

Are you having doubts because you are no longer want to study sociology and want to study something else or because your parents are concerned about your future options?

It is true that a degree comes at a cost and that there are other options such as apprenticeships and full-time work that will allow you to begin to make money, save money and to pursue other things, but a degree is also a personal achievement that opens up the opportunity for further study and work opportunities. There are some jobs which like to see a degree and without one this could limit the jobs on offer to you, though apprenticeships are making it possible to gain the valuable skills necessary for a variety of jobs.

Perhaps the question you need to ask yourself is whether there is an apprenticeship that appeals to you? You can work and earn money but if you don't enjoy your work, then it can make work more difficult and it's tough to spend so much of your time in a job that you don't like.

It is possible to regret going to university. You might not like the course or the university, or the financial cost, but it is also possible that you will regret not studying a subject you love, meeting so many people from so many different walks of life who are your age/ close to age and forming the memories behind some great friendships or unique opportunities e.g., an exchange programme.

You could go to university at a late stage but it's likely there will be still be the financial cost that will make it unattractive. It may also be more difficult if you have settled down by then with a family or if your ideal university is very far from you as it would be more difficult to go to that university due to family commitments.

University a unique time in a person's life and it can really shape a person. It can be a place where you really grow as a person, are inspired and where you begin to understand yourself better and what matters to you, but of course other things can have a similar affect on a person, such as travel.

I think the key thing is deciding what you want out of university and whether an apprenticeship or full-time job helps you fulfil that same goal.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Hey @happiboi, how are you? :smile:

Firstly, just want to say a congrats on your two offers. I always enjoyed studying Sociology, and found the aspects of sociology really interesting when I went on to study my media degree at uni :smile:

It can be really difficult trying to come up with a future plan for after uni, but I'd say to research into some careers you can go into with a sociology degree just to see if you feel that same passion like you do studying the course. There are a wide range of opportunities available in local authorities, social service departments, voluntary sector organisations, advice centres, health and housing, the civil and public services and private organisations, as well as graduates going on to further study, teaching and research.

Some of our former grads have gone on to pursue careers including: teaching, police, community development, information officer, psychotherapy, welfare rights, university lecturer, arts administration, probation, social research, personnel, scientific research, housing officer, journalism, editor, marketing, advertising, fundraising and counselling.

Some uni's offer courses that combine academic study with work placements / internships, so have a look for this info on the course webpages.

Taking a gap year can be a really valuable opportunity, in that time you can gain work experience, explore different career options and then think about your long-term goals. You could also look into apprenticeships or other vocational training programmes too.

Ultimately, it's your decision, and your decision alone. Just consider your passions, interest, long-term goals. If you still can't decide you could speak to a career counsellor/mentor, any academic advisors etc who can give you some guidance.

I wish you the very best of luck with your decision! :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending