The Student Room Group

a level descisions

hi! i am currently a year 11 student :smile: the a-levels i want to study are history for sure, english, and a third a level which i’m not really decided upon (hence this post)

i would quite like to go into a pretty good career: i’m really interested in either law or journalism.

my questions are:
-what would a good third a-level be?? (no STEM i can’t cope). i have been considering sociology since it also seems good for me, but i have concerns that it isn’t a “strong” subject.. also 3 writing heavy subjects may be a lot. i have been considering RE as i always get grade 9s at GCSE however i have heard it is very different at an a-level.

-and which english a level should i pick? i know english lit is the more respected subject but i also really enjoy language, and lang-lit sounds like the best combination for me.. but i have seen loads of posts saying lang-lit isn’t really respected. to what extent is this true? and will i regret picking combined when lit is more likely to help me get further in life, even if i enjoy it less?
Reply 1
Original post by gyatrizzler69
hi! i am currently a year 11 student :smile: the a-levels i want to study are history for sure, english, and a third a level which i’m not really decided upon (hence this post)

i would quite like to go into a pretty good career: i’m really interested in either law or journalism.

my questions are:
-what would a good third a-level be?? (no STEM i can’t cope). i have been considering sociology since it also seems good for me, but i have concerns that it isn’t a “strong” subject.. also 3 writing heavy subjects may be a lot. i have been considering RE as i always get grade 9s at GCSE however i have heard it is very different at an a-level.

-and which english a level should i pick? i know english lit is the more respected subject but i also really enjoy language, and lang-lit sounds like the best combination for me.. but i have seen loads of posts saying lang-lit isn’t really respected. to what extent is this true? and will i regret picking combined when lit is more likely to help me get further in life, even if i enjoy it less?

forgot to mention i am also considering french??
Reply 2
I think for Law a great addition to History and English would be Psychology. I personally did it only for two years at A-level with no prior knowledge. This has nothing to do with my final uni choice, physics, but I still found it interesting. It is also in the spirit of what Law degrees are looking for so might be interesting to look into
Reply 3
Original post by qqww
I think for Law a great addition to History and English would be Psychology. I personally did it only for two years at A-level with no prior knowledge. This has nothing to do with my final uni choice, physics, but I still found it interesting. It is also in the spirit of what Law degrees are looking for so might be interesting to look into

thank you so muchh 💕💕

Quick Reply

Latest