The Student Room Group

Questions about structuring

1) What hours do analysts, associates in structuring work? Is it the same as IBD?
2) Are there exit opportunities for structuring analysts or is it like S&T where you just have to keep working in the same thing?
3) Where and how can I find out more about these more unknown roles in banking like structuring and desk strategy groups? Google isn't leading me anywhere.
Original post by Ladbants
1) What hours do analysts, associates in structuring work? Is it the same as IBD?
2) Are there exit opportunities for structuring analysts or is it like S&T where you just have to keep working in the same thing?
3) Where and how can I find out more about these more unknown roles in banking like structuring and desk strategy groups? Google isn't leading me anywhere.

1. Similar to S&T
2. Yes, become a trader or salesperson (I think the bulk who want to move on do this) or move into a structured products hedge fund. But most structurers are content with their jobs - the demand for them is high and they're sparse in numbers so can command a lot of autonomy + a decent compensation plan
3. WSO has great threads on the topic. Just google: 'site:wallstreetoasis.com blah'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
1. Similar to S&T
2. Yes, become a trader or salesperson (I think the bulk who want to move on do this) or move into a structured products hedge fund. But most structurers are content with their jobs - the demand for them is high and they're sparse in numbers so can command a lot of autonomy + a decent compensation plan
3. WSO has great threads on the topic. Just google: 'site:wallstreetoasis.com blah'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man. Especially that last point that's really useful.

Hi Ladbants (and thx for your msg earlier!). I worked with structures. To answer your question :
1) They usually come slightly later than the sales people, so 7:30-8am (depends on the company tho). And if there is a deal/trade to work on, they would be there 7pm or beyond (esp if trade involves NY office) but usually not too long. On average much less than IBD for sure (rarely work weekends).
2) Usually, specific roles like that tend to stay. But at the same time I've seen plenty move into research (derivatives, other asset classes) and sometimes (tho rare) into related sales if the personality suits.
3) Look up your alumni in similar roles or simply cold-msg LinkedIn (search by bank, and go through the list of people's titles / roles). For those roles that seem interesting, write a nice concise msg for a coffee meetup. Doesn't work every time, but once in a while, you'll get a response. Also, if you have a graduates recruiter contact at each back (call HR), ask if they have a brochure or pdf that describes the organization of the bank (org chart) and you can start there. Some provide. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by TheGoodStudioUK
Hi Ladbants (and thx for your msg earlier!). I worked with structures. To answer your question :
1) They usually come slightly later than the sales people, so 7:30-8am (depends on the company tho). And if there is a deal/trade to work on, they would be there 7pm or beyond (esp if trade involves NY office) but usually not too long. On average much less than IBD for sure (rarely work weekends).
2) Usually, specific roles like that tend to stay. But at the same time I've seen plenty move into research (derivatives, other asset classes) and sometimes (tho rare) into related sales if the personality suits.
3) Look up your alumni in similar roles or simply cold-msg LinkedIn (search by bank, and go through the list of people's titles / roles). For those roles that seem interesting, write a nice concise msg for a coffee meetup. Doesn't work every time, but once in a while, you'll get a response. Also, if you have a graduates recruiter contact at each back (call HR), ask if they have a brochure or pdf that describes the organization of the bank (org chart) and you can start there. Some provide. Good luck!

Thanks! Very informative
Structuring is amazing if you get an offer for it. You can go into trading or sales if you want to but you'll have in demand skills and the work isn't as risky as trading. The problem is that banks hire very few structurees so you probably won't get an offer for it, there's not much you can do. You do the role that the bank gives you.
What do they do? Is it basically making new financial products like CMBS and derivatives?
Reply 7
Original post by MartinF98
What do they do? Is it basically making new financial products like CMBS and derivatives?

Kind of. They provide solutions to clients requirements by combining derivatives and stuff.
Kind of. They provide solutions to clients requirements by combining derivatives and stuff.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending