The Student Room Group

Further V8 progress... (pic heavey)

Just a small update on my 4 cylinder to V8 conversion.
Just got my camera back so now I can put up the pics! :smile:

The plan was to drive the new red GT down to chester and start work first thing in the morning. unfortunately that didnt happen. 300 yards from my house I suffered terminal fuel pump failure. 6 hours later I arived in chester on the back of a lorry. Not a great start :s-smilie:

The intention was to install the stage II 4 cylinder engine from EGB (the yellow V8 conversion car) into NERD and then get as much progress done towards converting EGB as possible.

EGB was driven into the garage and I and my two garage mates started to strip the car. First job was to disconnect the bonnet stay and tie the bonnet wide open using some rope. You can see that the front bumper, grill, radiator, air filters, fuel lines, oil cooler and much of the wiring has been disconnected at this stage. You can see the radiator towards the right of the picture.

Close up of the engine bay. Take a look at how filthy the inner wings are. Its not oil but a thick underseal known as "ziebart" that was put on the car when it was new. Its done its job as 28 years on the car has virtually no rust and all its original pannels - Highly unusual for any MGB.

With the engine mounts, exhaust, gearbox crossmember, speedo drive, electrics, gear lever remote and propshaft disconnected, the time came to hook up the engine crane and start trying to extract the engine and gearbox.
The person in charge of the whole operation, incidentally is the young blonde operating the engine crane. Im the fat bastard on the left. :wink:

Coming out slowly...

...untill we realise that someone hasnt disconnected the starter motor electrics! DOH!!!

a few clearance issues...

For the last bit I had to physically pick the gearbox up myself as the engine and box were hanging at an angle. We were unable to take the crane any higher without punching a hole in the garage roof so I picked up the gearbox end whilst my friend pulled the engine crane backwards away from the car.

Finally we had one Stage II B series engine, gearbox and overdrive sat on the deck of the garage...

...and one dirty but empty engine bay!

Then some silly sod tried to hide inside it! :wink:

At this point, EGB was pushed outside and NERD wheeled in and the exact same procedure above carried out. Although, our crane operator had to go to bed so we were forced to do this task ourselves! :p:
No need to show the same series of picures over again with a red car so heres just the one.

The next couple of days saw me put the engine that came out of the yellow car into the red car. Unfortunately my assistants either had to go back to work or school so I ended up doing that on my own. But sufficed to say its taken a while but i've just about got the thing running how I want it in the new car. Although, it still needs a bit of adjustment on the carbs. I just havent got a gas analyser to do anything about it at the moment.
NRD 39R has now become my daily driver. Last month I took it to southport on sea. here's a pic as proof that it does actually move again since it entered the garage! Although it needed a new fuel pump before it would start.
I got a face full of petrol when I put the new pump on. The banjo connectors leaked.
Let me assure you... IF you get petrol in your eyes it WILL sting and will continue to do so for some minutes afterwards!!! :frown:

More to follow...

Scroll to see replies

Rather you than me, but fantastic work :smile:
Reply 2
I envy you JC. Thats the kind of stuff I want to do!
Reply 3
only welshman would wear gloves.
Reply 4
Why did you not just take then engine out by removing the front bumper rather than lifting it vertically? I guess you only realise once you've got to a certan point.

And how were those pesky ball joints lol?

Oh - Stubo - it's very wise to wear gloves!
Reply 5
Thanks for the positive comments all.

To answer your question, Walshie; The front bumper was the first thing that got took off. It has to come off so you can get the crane in close enough to lift the engine. If you take a look at the pictures you will notice that the front slam pannel is actually welded into the body. It is structural. Hacking the body around so I could pull the engine striaght forward just isnt an option and completely unnecesary.

The ball joints were not touched. Its a propper car. :wink: Drive goes to the rear wheels only! They are less than 6 months old and well greased so if they do end up coming off it wont take much effort. :smile:
Reply 6
nice work there. Can't wiat to soo what you do V8 wise.
Nice to see im not the only fat basturd on here wielding spanners most weekends! :p:
Reply 7
Lol, i'm the 3rd fat bastard, woohoo!

Nice work Jon, but i'm tired of crappy 4 pots, wheres the mother load?!
Reply 8
Add me to the fat bastard clan, lol! Although I don't do alot of spanner weilding, however, I'm far from immune. I'm getting better as I do more.

Nice to see its going well JC, if I ever get to do the TDV8 conversion, I know where I'm coming for a consult!

Minardi
Reply 9
Lol! Should we be worried that half the forum are fat bastards? Is this actually a fat fighters anonymous club aka the internet?!

Lol!
Reply 10
Lol! It appears to be the fat spanner monkey club anyway...!
Reply 11
is that last pic in southport? looks familiar lol
Reply 12
I'll do an update tommorow. I did a little more work on my V8 yesterday and spent today at santapod racing my friends Nitrous injected MGB GT V8.
Got a couple of good runs in. Broke my personal best today too.
13.2 quater mile @ 108mph. Beat a Ford Sierra cosworth RS in the process... Its driver was not happy!!! :biggrin:

Unfortunately on the last run of the day my friends son managed to blow up the V8... i'll have pics of what a Nitrous burp can do. Although, let me just say seeing a ball of flame shoot out of the airscoop was um... interesting!!!
Melted piston time... :s-smilie: still... he's got a 4.6 waiting to go in so its not all bad. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Nice run!

Whoops about the engine! Thats a bit of a bugger, that engine won't be running again! I did that to a engine once, but it wasn't using nitrous it was on a 2 stroke engine and the air filter got clogged up with grass and water (bad combination, its like cement) and it dried in the heat of the exhaust. Took the hovercraft out and 30 seconds after planting the throttle the engine flames out and makes a horrible noise and loses power suddenly! Upon later inspection, the piston welded itself to the cylinder as the fuel/air mix was obviously very lean!

Bugger.
Reply 14
shame on you for not cleaning that engine bay lol, i spent a full day cleaning with fairly liquid and a toothbrush. its soooo much easier when the engines out.

good luck with it mate, you look like you know what your doing.
Yeah that is southport!:biggrin:
one q - how come you're swapping the engines?
JC, is that Perry's MG you raced?

If so it sepnds more time off road then anything, he's always blowing it up!
Reply 18
Yeah, Perry's GT holed a piston the other week. Although, when it blew, it went accross the line doing 13.2 @87 mph so if the engine hadnt let go it most likely would have made it into the 11 second bracket!!!
Reply 19
The postman came today... bought me some new bits for muh car :biggrin:

We've got...

Custom made Speedo cable (LT77-MGB), speedo drive LT77, Complete water hose kit, Exhaust clamps (54mm), Gasket goo, flame traps, new heater valve, Vaseline (for priming the oil pump), new pre SD1 oil pump gears, Near side fan mounting bracket, quick release battery clamps, Engine stabiliser bar, the large thing in the packet is a mud shield and bellhousing the V8 bolt kit, ATF fluid, fuel pump blanking kit + block drain tap plugs, 82 degree stat and gasket, clutch alignment tool, 3.9 spec clutch kit (I wont burn this one out!), Gearbox mounting turrets (not in picture), SD1 spiggot bush (green packet)

Custom made LT77 box - 1800 MGB axle propshaft (small flange version)

Doesnt look like it... but thats about £700 worth of kit there :s-smilie:
Another £50 worth of bolt should be ariving tommorow and hopefully the downpipes for my exhaust. :biggrin:

Saturday... the engine goes in!

Latest

Trending

Trending