The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hi everyone,

im thinking of doing my ee on philosophy. maybe smth to do with chinese philosophy... any suggestions? thanks. i will greatly appreciate any input.
well, my extended essay is on the influence of the Intelligentsia in post-Mao China, so our papers kind of overlap. I could definintely point you towards some sources. Just PM me and I'll send you some. Maybe we could collaborate.
I want to do mine for biology.....anyone has ideas???
another question, does EE similar to research paper??
Hi there,

I'm quite new to this IB board but I have a few questions about my EE. I'm planning to do my EE on Design Technology. The topic would be somewhere along the lines of,

"A comparison of AMD vs Intel processors in terms of price vs performance"
I can easily go into the cpu's voltage, (which I can expand on to temperature/power consumption) I can then describe the consumer's choice of the company product's stabilities as well as explain which one of the two is more overclockable for the computer enthusiastic. I have many locations I can go with this topic, but the problem I am having now is..

Does this topic fit into the Design Technology's section? And if it does fit, would I need to keep all my research before 1997? I heard that I might have to keep all my resources and data collection before 1997? If thats the case, then I can not make connections of the triump AMD's past compared to the current day Intel incredible dominance after 2005.

Can someone please tell me if there really is a "10 year resource" rule, and if someone can help me sharpen my topic? I would like a thesis statement that is stronger then the one i've provided above.

Much thanks for your response! :smile:
hi im also new to the ib
and was just wondering for my gcse lit cw i got 45/45 on one assignment...i have no idea howw many words it was but i reallllllllllllllly enjoyed writing it..
for my EE am i allowed to use that assignment and just extend it?
teh original paperr was written by me!!

would i be allowed to do that?

or should i not even mention it to the teachers..propse teh exact same question and hand my cw in as a first draft of my EE?
x
Reply 1045
Punkyfishh.x
hi im also new to the ib
and was just wondering for my gcse lit cw i got 45/45 on one assignment...i have no idea howw many words it was but i reallllllllllllllly enjoyed writing it..
for my EE am i allowed to use that assignment and just extend it?
teh original paperr was written by me!!

would i be allowed to do that?

or should i not even mention it to the teachers..propse teh exact same question and hand my cw in as a first draft of my EE?
x

What was the assignment about? You're going to have to make sure that it's specific enough and that you will be capable of expanding it to a minimum of 3600 words.
Hi
I´ve done a Geography EE, it was about the features of a Gipsy ghetto in Prague and the level of "ghettoization" there... Was quite interesting to explore as this is kinda issue in the Czech Republic... It linked nicely with the Settlements topic, and I could´ve used some fieldwork methods. If anybody needs help with their Geo essay stuff just PM me, I´m a Geo fan:smile:
Reply 1047
I finally found a topic for mine. I thought I was going to do it in Math. In fact, I was sure I was going to do it in math. Then I thought I was going to do it in history. It turns out that my submitted thesis is actually English. Here's the title:

Drawing the Analysis: Exploring Methods of Graphic and Literary Analysis in Autobiographical Graphic Novels

There's a little too much repetition of "graphic" though. Essentially what I'm doing is seeing how both the text and the graphics in comic books both contribute equally to conveying the author's meaning. I'm moving a little away from the superhero comics and more into the "indie" genre, focusing a little more on the autobiographical stuff just so I can do a good exploration of memory and multifaceted perception. It should be good.

Any of you guys know how I should do my evidence though? I'm obviously going to be scanning panels in, and I am thinking that I am going to integrate them with the text, but does the text in the comics then count as a part of my word count? I have no idea.
Reply 1048
i did mine in visual arts
"to what extent has the design of federation square been a success"
federation square is a building in melbourne australia, and i chose the topic because the IB really like specific and refined topic areas. they also like art questions to be very localised.
it was really fun becasue alot of the resources i used was first hand looking at the design myself.
trm90
What was the assignment about? You're going to have to make sure that it's specific enough and that you will be capable of expanding it to a minimum of 3600 words.

it was how wells shows complacency in the war of the worlds!
wow i just checked on word..
its 4435 words. :eek:
I did mine in Economics with the title: An investigation into the price elasticity of demand for lottery tickets. Sounds like a routine eco essay but lottery tickets are different because people keep buying when price goes up for hope of bigger prize. I did a survey too
zackinbaltimore

Any of you guys know how I should do my evidence though? I'm obviously going to be scanning panels in, and I am thinking that I am going to integrate them with the text, but does the text in the comics then count as a part of my word count? I have no idea.

My advice is to put the comics as appendices.
Reply 1052
MsSvensson
My advice is to put the comics as appendices.

That was my initial thought, but if I'm relying on them as heavily as I would for an English assignment, that's a lot of flipping through to find what I'm talking about. So that's my concern
Zack: well the comic then will be pictures, right? That puts it in the charts/diagrams/photos etc category so I don't think it will count in your post count. I was going to suggest the appendix at first, but yeah I see your point, it will be a pain having to flick back and forth.

Punkyfish: as for your EE, to be honest, I think your title is too broad for an IB EE. I find when I see the title that it's very vague and I don't exactly know what you're talking about specifically in your EE. Remember, criteria for IB and GCSE are different. I expect IB would want much more in depth analysis than GCSE. Looking at your title, I'm asking myself, show complacency in what/through what channel in Wars of the World?

To be honest I think you should come up with a new title for your EE and leave your GCSE coursework alone, even if it's just so you get with the EE experience. Your "recycling" your GCSE coursework kind of defeats the whole point of IB wanting you to do the EE since the purpose for that essay you already have was different in GCSE.
Reply 1054
I agree with HMS. The task may seem daunting to find a completely new topic which is more in-depth, but I think it's worth it as it really prepares you.
I came up with my EE topic: To what extent the policy pursued by the Soviet Union in Eastern Europe in 1944-1948 could be considered as expansionist?. However, i worry if it's not too obvious.. If not, do you think it's a suitable topic?
Reply 1056
I'm doing mine in History (it needs to be re-worded, but here it is in general): What happened to the Russian Orthodox Church from the time when Stalin came to power until the end of the Cold War?
25 kate
I'm doing mine in History (it needs to be re-worded, but here it is in general): What happened to the Russian Orthodox Church from the time when Stalin came to power until the end of the Cold War?

I think this question might be too broad. I advice you to define the very accurate periods. For example: The comparison of the Russian Orthodox Church when Stalin came to power (1928 ?) and at the end of the Cold War (1991)
RammyJuice
I think this question might be too broad. I advice you to define the very accurate periods. For example: The comparison of the Russian Orthodox Church when Stalin came to power (1928 ?) and at the end of the Cold War (1991)

I agree with the fact that 1) it's too broad and 2) it sounds too descriptive. The "what happened" part makes it looks like you're just describing the changes and not really analysing anything.
First of all, hi to everyone! I'm crumbling under stress of IB Year 2, and I'm sure we're all in the same boat..

I'm about to begin my first draft. I was supposed to finish it before the summer was over, but, eh, procrastination..
My subject is Philosophy and I'm elaborating on Machiavelli's political philosophy discussed in The Prince, focusing on the difference between virtue (our definition) and virtu (his definition), as well as on the relationship between morality and politics.

Any feedback? Much appreciated!

Latest

Trending

Trending