The Student Room Group

Checking requirements for IB Diploma Courses and BTEC Extended Diploma

I'm deciding between IB Diploma Courses (5 subjects: 2HL, 3SL) and BTEC Extended Diploma L3 for this Y12 academic year. For IB Courses, I'm unsure how to check qualification requirements on UCAS, which mainly cover standard IB Diploma. UCAS Tariff Points, usually tied to A-Levels, confuse me when applying to IB grades. Concerning BTEC, if a course requires an additional A-Level I wonder if universities accept online A-Level Courses alongside my BTEC. Lastly, if I study in Europe, will they accept IB Diploma/BTEC Extended Diploma?
Reply 1
IB will be far more acceptable in the EU than BTEC which wont be taken that seriously.

IB UCAS points are calculated on your THREE HL subjects only - it doesnt take account of your total points - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/applying-to-uni/ucas-points#UCASPointsInternationalBaccalaureate
BUT if you check IB requirements on a Unis own webpages they will often want a 'points total' as well as HL scores. Check carefully.

An A level taken online has the same value and acceptability by Unis as one taken at school.
Reply 2
Thanks! Its good to know that Online Courses are still withheld to the same standard as A-Levels in schools. However, i thought i could take only 2 HL as apart of my IB Courses because my school's IB Coordinator agreed on the subjects that i picked for IB Courses but if 2HLs are insufficient to qualify for Universities on UCAS then that may be an issue for me. Finally, are there any particular websites that you know of teach online courses accepted by EU and UK Unis?
Reply 3
Original post by Kieran06
Thanks! Its good to know that Online Courses are still withheld to the same standard as A-Levels in schools. However, i thought i could take only 2 HL as apart of my IB Courses because my school's IB Coordinator agreed on the subjects that i picked for IB Courses but if 2HLs are insufficient to qualify for Universities on UCAS then that may be an issue for me. Finally, are there any particular websites that you know of teach online courses accepted by EU and UK Unis?

Online A LEVELS are the same standard as school A levels.
Random 'online courses' are not.
Original post by Kieran06
I'm deciding between IB Diploma Courses (5 subjects: 2HL, 3SL) and BTEC Extended Diploma L3 for this Y12 academic year. For IB Courses, I'm unsure how to check qualification requirements on UCAS, which mainly cover standard IB Diploma. UCAS Tariff Points, usually tied to A-Levels, confuse me when applying to IB grades. Concerning BTEC, if a course requires an additional A-Level I wonder if universities accept online A-Level Courses alongside my BTEC. Lastly, if I study in Europe, will they accept IB Diploma/BTEC Extended Diploma?

The IB is composed of 6 subjects (plus the core) for the full diploma. You won't get the diploma if you only do 5 subjects and so won't meet entry requirements as stated for the IB diploma as a result. You will just get certificates for each subject. That's a very different prospect.

IB is widely accepted across the world; it was designed as a curriculum for the children of parents who had to frequently move countries (e.g. diplomats, armed forces personnel, etc) to enable them to follow a consistent curriculum rather than changing systems every few years. BTECs are a UK qualification, and a vocational one at that - they aren't specifically designed to prepare for entry to university.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending