The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

anyone doing Henry VIII, crown, authority and religion? what topics do you reckon are coming up? my teacher reckons france + foreign policy, and Cromwell.
Reply 121
Original post by sinatra-lover
I think the Boer war might come up but there will probably be a WW1 question - hopefully the impact of it but I'm not sure :/

last 2 papers have had a crimea and two ww1 questions so there'll probs (hopefully) be a boer war question tomorrow!
What can you say on the fall of Cromwell?
Original post by Lpenquin
I believe the break with Rome may come up. Things to include would be:
reasons why it happened:
divorce, (love of anne bolyne)
need for an heir, (catherine was barren)
leviticus (but pope wouldn't grant divorce),
power and money (Act of supremacy and dissolution of monasteries can be used as evidence).
Remember all the acts as well: 1532: Act of Annates (money)
1533: Act in Restraint of Appeals (can't appeal to rome)
1534: Act of succession, Act of supremacy, Treason Act, Act of submission of the clergy and Act of 1st fruit and 10ths

I've done the last two papers and have struggled. I'm doing A2 and have got As in both the other exam and the coursework but can't seem to do any better on this.

The Amicable grant came up on january;
Section A
How far do the sources suggest that there was considerable resistance to the Amicable Grant of 1525?

Section B
i) Do you agree with the view that, in the years 1511-1525, English successes in foreign policy outweighed the failures?

ii) Do you agree with the view that the dissolution of the greater monasteries was largely driven by finacial motives?

It is possible cromwell will come up too. The thing i have learnt doing A2 is the sources MUST drive the answer. Own Knowledge is great but you must quote the sources and integrate them to do well.

Hope this helps

That's really helpful, thanks so much!
I was wondering, what percentage of Own Knowledge roughly should there be in a part b) also, how much should you cross reference in a part b) or is it just like, here's a point, here's some knowledge, similar to... ect.?
Reply 124
So to do section B, we basically use our own knowledge to back up the sources instead of the other way round? :smile:
Original post by coastbeats
What can you say on the fall of Cromwell?

*tried to push the marriage with anne of cleves because of the potential protestant alliance

*generally served Henry well, (dissolution, anullment, break with rome) although allowed henry to realise the extent of his power, which then helped bring out his tyrannical nature (shown by massacre of pilgrimage, execution of the countess of salisbury etc.)

*in a way more successful than wolsey as he never had as big a failure as the anullment and the amicable grant, also his foreign policy was more popular than Wolsey's pro-french position.

*some more stuff which i need to revise but i'll post if i remember it :O
Original post by The Bright Beast
*tried to push the marriage with anne of cleves because of the potential protestant alliance

*generally served Henry well, (dissolution, anullment, break with rome) although allowed henry to realise the extent of his power, which then helped bring out his tyrannical nature (shown by massacre of pilgrimage, execution of the countess of salisbury etc.)

*in a way more successful than wolsey as he never had as big a failure as the anullment and the amicable grant, also his foreign policy was more popular than Wolsey's pro-french position.

*some more stuff which i need to revise but i'll post if i remember it :O

Could you also talk about faction and enemies who could influence Henry or can that only be related to wolsey's downfall? Thanks for the knowledge btw
Reply 127
I am doing Britain and Ireland but I have a general question.

In question B, I have to argue with and against the source, how many points should I make for each. At the moment I am making a statement using the source with quotations and then using the source as a springboard for my own knowledge, how many points should I be making for support and against?
Could you also talk about faction and enemies who could influence Henry or can that only be related to wolsey's downfall? Thanks for the knowledge btw

yeah, there were even more factions, such as the boleyn faction and the seymour faction, as well as the nobility who also hated cromwell because of his low birth.

also, examine Henry's relationship with cromwell: whilst Wolsey was the mentor, Cromwell was the fixer, more a servant than the friends that Wolsey and More were.
Reply 129
Original post by youjennatsix
Section A

* You should only refer to the sources, NO own knowledge.
* Cross-reference the sources (see below).
* Remember to talk about provenance (author, purpose, reliability).
* Do a conclusion that sums up your argument.

Structure:

Introduction
Talk about the sources that agree.
Talk about the sources that disagree.
Provenance
Conclusion

DO NOT STRUCTURE LIKE:

Introduction, Source 1, Source 2, Source 3 etc.

Should be about 1.5 - 2.5 sides of A4, spend 20 minutes on it.

Section B

* Refer to sources (40%) and own knowledge (60%).
* Still cross-reference sources.
* There are no marks for provenance, but you could include it if it strengthens your point.
* Try to link it back to the question.
* Reach a judgment throughout.
* In your conclusion, refer to the sources and own knowledge.

Should be between 2.5 and 3.5 sides, spend the remaining time (is it 50 mins?) on it.

Some useful links:
* www.jrwschool.com/Henry%20VIII%20Revision%20Guide.pdf
* http://www.accesstohistory.co.uk/login.htm?Edexcel.htm (Some good examples of top-mark essays and how to structure them, Username = access, Password = history).

Wow, very helpful there. But I would never talk about the provenance of the sources?! I did this module last year, provenance is largely irrelevant! It's about historical debate (and similarity) between the sources.
Hiya everyone, I'm doing the women's questions, got a feeling something to do with suffragettes and suffragists is gonna come up, how is everyone feeling about the exam?
Good luck :smile:
:bl:
Reply 131
Section A

* You should only refer to the sources, NO own knowledge.
* Cross-reference the sources (see below).
* Remember to talk about provenance (author, purpose, reliability).
* Do a conclusion that sums up your argument.

Structure:

Introduction
Talk about the sources that agree.
Talk about the sources that disagree.
Provenance
Conclusion

DO NOT STRUCTURE LIKE:

Introduction, Source 1, Source 2, Source 3 etc.

Should be about 1.5 - 2.5 sides of A4, spend 20 minutes on it.

Section B

* Refer to sources (40%) and own knowledge (60%).
* Still cross-reference sources.
* There are no marks for provenance, but you could include it if it strengthens your point.
* Try to link it back to the question.
* Reach a judgment throughout.
* In your conclusion, refer to the sources and own knowledge.

Should be between 2.5 and 3.5 sides, spend the remaining time (is it 50 mins?) on it.

Some useful links:
* www.jrwschool.com/Henry%20VIII%20Revision%20Guide.pdf
* http://www.accesstohistory.co.uk/login.htm?Edexcel.htm (Some good examples of top-mark essays and how to structure them, Username = access, Password = history).

You are a life saver. Thank you. :biggrin:
Original post by Hobo389
Wow, very helpful there. But I would never talk about the provenance of the sources?! I did this module last year, provenance is largely irrelevant! It's about historical debate (and similarity) between the sources.

Historical debate and similarity of the sources is definitely the most significant aspect of Question A, but provenance of the sources must be talked about to get into the 13-15 mark boundary:

Sources are used as evidence with some consideration of their
attributes, such as the nature, origins, purpose or audience, with
some consideration of how this can affect the weight given to the
evidence.
Original post by The Bright Beast
yeah, there were even more factions, such as the boleyn faction and the seymour faction, as well as the nobility who also hated cromwell because of his low birth.

also, examine Henry's relationship with cromwell: whilst Wolsey was the mentor, Cromwell was the fixer, more a servant than the friends that Wolsey and More were.

Which questions do you think will be asked? I'm hoping for Wolsey, foreign policy, break with Rome
Reply 134
Historical debate and similarity of the sources is definitely the most significant aspect of Question A, but provenance of the sources must be talked about to get into the 13-15 mark boundary:

Hmmmm think i'd disagree to a point there, got full marks in AS without doing any sort of provenance evaluation :colondollar: but if you say so.
Original post by Kalliope
I'm doing Option E - British political history 1945-90. So scared right now :eek3:

I'm doing that too - i've revised Heath and Callaghan particularly as I have a feeling they will come up in some form. If I get a bloody Macmillan question I will storm out of the exam hall :biggrin:

The main problem I've been having is, how much are we supposed to know in terms of our own knowledge, i.e. do we have to know exact dates and figures on unemployment and voting?
Original post by LoveLoveLove16
Hiya everyone, I'm doing the women's questions, got a feeling something to do with suffragettes and suffragists is gonna come up, how is everyone feeling about the exam?
Good luck :smile:
:bl:

Yep I don't think the militancy of the WSPU has explicitly come up yet has it?
Poor law Guardians, Asquith and an evaluation of WW1 are what I'm expecting too.
Original post by Hobo389
Hmmmm think i'd disagree to a point there, got full marks in AS without doing any sort of provenance evaluation :colondollar: but if you say so.

I don't say, the mark scheme does.
Which questions do you think will be asked? I'm hoping for Wolsey, foreign policy, break with Rome

Hoping for a Break with Rome a) question, and a Wolsey b or a Foreign Policy b.
Everyone is using the term "cross referencing"> I know vaguely that it means comparing the sources with eath other but due to my sh*t teacher weve been learning the topics all year and BARELY any essay skills :L> Can someone give me a description and how to implement cross referencing in my answer please??

(Doing Irish)

Latest

Trending

Trending