The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Organ
Nope, I'm being serious. I'm not that bothered by the royals. It all brings a bit of excitement.

Well that is your opinion then I guess; but for me, wasting £60m on a boat, when it could be put to much better use (instead of bringing "a bit of excitement", whatever such a ridiculous notion means), is an important issue to me.

Better than some boring old president.

Sigh; I don't even know where to begin on this :facepalm:
Reply 241
Original post by MirandaPanda
Well that is your opinion then I guess; but for me, wasting £60m on a boat, when it could be put to much better use (instead of bringing "a bit of excitement", whatever such a ridiculous notion means), is an important issue to me.

Well, life's not really fair is it?

The position of the royal family is on my care list just below Fern Britton's weight loss and the economy of Nepal.

And yeah, it is more interesting than a boring old president, the Queen has carriages, castles and crowns and stuff.
Reply 242

You do realise that the plans for the FSP21 would include other area's apart from being a Royal Yacht? http://www.universityoftheoceans.org/
Read that then make an informed judgement instead of basing all your arguments on newspaper reports that don't include the full story anyway.
So again, if you don't like a particular aspect of this country (with the statement "Britain which has always been inseparable from the Queen" being completely subjective and down to each individual by the by), you should just get out instead of doing something about it (in this case, simply engaging in a debate)? I wonder where slavery and issues like segration would be now with such a moronic attitude...

Again, the BNP/EDL would be proud.

Ah, what a well reasoned and nuanced analysis. Bravo again you retard :smile:

Down to debate? May I ask what our national anthem is? Have you ever sung the national anthem or do you just refuse? You can still have a monarch who follows public attitudes, your slavery argument holds no comparison.

Wow, you take things so literally don't you? Oh yes, I am seriously advocating you have to go to London or America NOW!! Wtf?! I am merely expressing my dislike and contempt of your republicanism, not actually meaning you should go an do it! Calm down :tongue:
My only issue is:

what the heck is she gonna even use the yacht for?!:confused:
So again, if you don't like a particular aspect of this country (with the statement "Britain which has always been inseparable from the Queen" being completely subjective and down to each individual by the by), you should just get out instead of doing something about it (in this case, simply engaging in a debate)? I wonder where slavery and issues like segration would be now with such a moronic attitude...

Again, the BNP/EDL would be proud.

Ah, what a well reasoned and nuanced analysis. Bravo again you retard :smile:

You're, ironically, doing exactly what you're blasting him for doing, whilst looking like a dismissive, patronising simpleton.
Reply 246
Original post by Steevee
The economic boost is immesurable, because it comes down to subtle things. However, directly I would argue it probably will have.

The yacht is to be the centrepiece of the entire procession.

Ahh, well in that case, if it makes the £60m back in tourism and attracting tourism to Britain, i would agree with you. I am however sceptical about the yacht actually bringing £60m back to Britain in the short term when we have so many public services being cut that could make good use of the money. Surely if Britain really was 'in it together' the Queen herself would cut back a little.
Reply 247
The letter's authenticity has been confirmed by his staff; so either way, Gove has suggested, in these times no less, that a £60m boat be payed for and be given to the queen. Thus, be it a Guardian link or not (and thus whatever bias you attach to it), it is fact.

:rolleyes:
If the story was linked in the DM i bet you'd just thumbs up him
Original post by JBullyWBA
Ahh, well in that case, if it makes the £60m back in tourism and attracting tourism to Britain, i would agree with you. I am however sceptical about the yacht actually bringing £60m back to Britain in the short term when we have so many public services being cut that could make good use of the money. Surely if Britain really was 'in it together' the Queen herself would cut back a little.

Proposals are that the £60m is raised by private funding, so nothing from taxpayers.
Reply 249
Right, let me tell you what I think about the UK and the queen (this might take a while). Britain is a country of elitists and thieves! So, yeah, the queen and all those bankers rip off from the population big time so get used to it. I have never seen such arrogance in my life, starting with the education system, where you basically get what you pay for and not what you work for, its digusting. And the general population (ie working class) are ****ing morons, they don't do anything, just sit there watching Jeremy Kyle show while getting ****ed up their ass with the lowest quality of life in the developed world and no future prospect! People are angry but they don't have any political education and don't know how to defend their rights except by rioting. Whoever moron calls this country a democracy doesn't know what democracy is or just wants to fool themselves and the rest of the world. There are immigrants from Argentina, Venezuela, etc, third world countries who complain about the level of corruption, the low quality of education in the UK. Where else have you got kids coming out of elementary school without knowing how to read?? Not even in Africa anymore, cause people prefer volunteer in African schools than in London. I learned how to read age 6, one year, thats what it took me and most of my mates in school. **** THE QUEEN!

Oh, and I forgot, the British can't take any criticism, hence the negative points to my comment, they prefer to live like rats than being thrown the truth in their faces by a foreigner! Go on, keep on eating homemade sandwiches for lunch... good luck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Why can't she just get the bus like the rest of us? Pfft...
Original post by Steevee
Oh please. This is a drop in the ocean compared to the Olympics or the benifits bill. The Diamond Jubilee isn't something that happens everyday, when was the last one?

But what has she done to deserve a £60million yacht, besides be born into a rich family?
Reply 252
Original post by Retrodiction
But what has she done to deserve a £60million yacht, besides be born into a rich family?

A lifetime of service rendered. But using that argument. What have you done to deserve anything you've ever got from the government? The Royal Family are not 'normal' people and should not be treated as such.
Reply 253
I'd love to see Prince Phillip in control of a £60m yacht and crash it on the Queens Diamond Jubilee.
Reply 254
Original post by KrishanC93
My only issue is:

what the heck is she gonna even use the yacht for?!:confused:

Getting from A to B on water.
I have an idea. Like the French revolution 1789, we need an English Revolution 2012. The removal of the Monarch of Britain. What do you guys think?
Original post by Greig_R
The Queen is more of a tourist attraction than anything, any sane person would dream to have a job like hers, dont even think about saying she "works hard" or "deserves it" , as soon as she was born her life has been handed to her on a plate..What a trooper she is!!!! (sarcasm)

A lot of sane people are getting very angry about a 1-2 year increase in their retirement age. The Queen cannot retire. While her job is not exactly arduous, it is still far more than any other 85 year old is expected to do.
Original post by Steevee
A lifetime of service rendered. But using that argument. What have you done to deserve anything you've ever got from the government? The Royal Family are not 'normal' people and should not be treated as such.

The only thing that distinguishes the queen from 'normal' people is that she was born into a very rich a family with a distinguished history. Why should she be rewarded for an accident of birth combined with not dying yet? Also, so working for a long time warrants a £60million being given to somebody? My grandparents worked for over 60 years, where's their state-funded yacht?
Reply 258
Original post by Retrodiction
The only thing that distinguishes the queen from 'normal' people is that she was born into a very rich a family with a distinguished history. Why should she be rewarded for an accident of birth combined with not dying yet? Also, so working for a long time warrants a £60million being given to somebody? My grandparents worked for over 60 years, where's their state-funded yacht?

She was born into the Roayl Family. She is our Head of State. Over the years her and her family have worked tirelessly for the futherment of British interests, international relations and national schemes. You are not part of the Royal Family. She is. Deal with it. And when your grandparents directly influence British trade, international standing and international relations every day of their lives, when your grandparents spend their entire lives living in the public spotlight and for the futherment of Britain then I'll be happy to give them a tax funded Yacht. But, just a wild guess, that's not them.
Original post by Steevee

She was born into the Roayl Family. She is our Head of State. Over the years her and her family have worked tirelessly for the futherment of British interests, international relations and national schemes. You are not part of the Royal Family. She is. Deal with it. And when your grandparents directly influence British trade, international standing and international relations every day of their lives, when your grandparents spend their entire lives living in the public spotlight and for the futherment of Britain then I'll be happy to give them a tax funded Yacht. But, just a wild guess, that's not them.

The only reason she influenced British trade is because she was born by an accident of birth into a particular family. Anybody in the position of head of state would have done the same. She didn't work towards earning her position as head of state, she was granted it by a mere accident of birth - why should she be rewarded for this?

Latest

Trending

Trending