The Student Room Group

Sikh Temple Shootings Ignorance

Yes, yes, I know there's already a thread for this, I just felt the need to create a new thread about this issue.

Many of you will obviously know about the devastating shooting that happened in a Sikh Temple yesterday in Wisconsin. Now, rumours are abound that the killer had a 9/11 tattoo on him, making it seem as if he was out to kill Muslims, and not Sikhs.

No, my issue is, are people REALLY that ignorant to confuse the two? Do people honestly believe that us Sikhs are 'the same' as Muslims? Are people THAT ignorant that they don't even step outside their own shell and realize that there are very significant differences between the two faiths? Is it a reflection of American society - or society as a whole?

And it's not just the killer who was ignorant of other faiths. Many of the main American news companies were unsure about Sikhism, with many of them confused about it. For example, the fact that they are referring to the temple as a 'sikh temple' and not a 'gurdwara' is ignorance in itself. And whereas new companies like Sky News actually talk about Sikhism and it's heritage in their news, I fail to see an American company do so yet.

And the fact that the killer wanted to murder Muslims is also horrible. Not all Muslims are extremists; in fact, it is only a small minority that taint their reputation. And there's also extremists in EVERY faith and corner of humanity; so why just pick upon the Muslims for? I have a few Muslim friends, with one if them being a strict Muslim, and they are extremely nice and possibly the friendliest people I have ever met. Why punish innocent people because of their religion? History is repeating itself yet again, only this time it's Muslims who are facing the full force.

I'm sorry if these seemed extremely aggressive or opinionated or anything else very bad, it's just that I think ignorance is one of the worst things ever committed. The fact that almost 600 counts of attacks on Sikhs since 9/11 have occurred also saddens me - are we all that ignorant?

I give my condolonces to all those affected by the atrocious murders of innocent human beings.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MZ604
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I should point out that the place of worship in question actually refers to itself as the "Sikh Temple of Wisconsin" on its website. As such you could forgive the media for referring to it as such.
Reply 2
Original post by zeropoint
I should point out that the place of worship in question actually refers to itself as the "Sikh Temple of Wisconsin" on its website. As such you could forgive the media for referring to it as such.

Oh right, okay, I didn't realize that. I apologize for that error on my part.

Reply 3
You act as if it's the mainstream media's job to educate. Why do people assume this?

And the fact that there has been unprovoked attacks on anyone because of 9/11 is sad, not just when it's Sikhs.
Reply 4
Original post by Steevee
You act as if it's the mainstream media's job to educate. Why do people assume this?

And the fact that there has been unprovoked attacks on anyone because of 9/11 is sad, not just when it's Sikhs.

Well, how else do you propose to educate the masses of society?

And I wasn't just saying attacks on Sikhs, I meant ignorance as a whole.

Reply 5
Original post by Rarar
Well, how else do you propose to educate the masses of society?

And I wasn't just saying attacks on Sikhs, I meant ignorance as a whole.

That's really not the issue of a private enterprise though, is it? Talk to the education system, or club together and buy an educational ad slot. There's not a lot of money in going through religious denominations and telling people who they are and what they believe when you're a prime time news corp.
Reply 6
Original post by Steevee
That's really not the issue of a private enterprise though, is it? Talk to the education system, or club together and buy an educational ad slot. There's not a lot of money in going through religious denominations and telling people who they are and what they believe when you're a prime time news corp.

Well, just briefly TALKING about their beliefs would be enough for me. Don't get me wrong, not all news broadcaster are the same, as Sky News does have a small section on Sikhism in their article in the tragedy, it's just that many have no clue, which reflects very poorly on society.

Reply 7
Original post by Rarar
Well, just briefly TALKING about their beliefs would be enough for me. Don't get me wrong, not all news broadcaster are the same, as Sky News does have a small section on Sikhism in their article in the tragedy, it's just that many have no clue, which reflects very poorly on society.

Let me reiterate again, it is not the job of the media to educate. They report. They are a business.
Reply 8
Original post by Steevee
Let me reiterate again, it is not the job of the media to educate. They report. They are a business.

And let me repeat, how else do you propose for the news to reach a majority of people? How is acceptance meant to spread if not through such a large medium?

Reply 9
Original post by Rarar
And let me repeat, how else do you propose for the news to reach a majority of people? How is acceptance meant to spread if not through such a large medium?

The education system perhaps? Infomercials and documenteries? The very mediums designed for education :facepalm:
Reply 10
Original post by Steevee
The education system perhaps? Infomercials and documenteries? The very mediums designed for education :facepalm:

But the problem is, how many people are going to listen to them, let alone actually be informed? How many people are going to actually watch documentaries on Sikhism? That's the problem.

Reply 11
Original post by Rarar
But the problem is, how many people are going to listen to them, let alone actually be informed? How many people are going to actually watch documentaries on Sikhism? That's the problem.

And again, why do you think that is the concern of the News Corps? These are private enterprises, whether people know or don't know about Sikhs is not an issue of major concern for them.
Reply 12
Original post by Steevee
And again, why do you think that is the concern of the News Corps? These are private enterprises, whether people know or don't know about Sikhs is not an issue of major concern for them.

We are all human; so it should be.

I know it sounds childish when I say it like that, but it should be of concern to the American News Corporations that people are uneducated about such matters. At the end of the day, we are all human beings, so we should all try to stamp out ignorance to help others.
Reply 13
Original post by Rarar
We are all human; so it should be.

I know it sounds childish when I say it like that, but it should be of concern to the American News Corporations that people are uneducated about such matters. At the end of the day, we are all human beings, so we should all try to stamp out ignorance to help others.

What a strange view to take. We are to stamp out all ignorance? Then we should simply broadcast information 24/7 on every possible channel.

Everyone has something they think other people should be educated on. The point is the News Corps are not the place for such personal issues, they are there for their purpose, not yours.
Reply 14
Original post by Steevee
What a strange view to take. We are to stamp out all ignorance? Then we should simply broadcast information 24/7 on every possible channel.

That is not what I am saying. I'm saying that News Corporations should include something, even just a little bit, of information regarding other faiths. If Sky News is able to include just a few sentences, why can't the others?
Reply 15
Well they called it a Sikh temple because the actual name for it wouldn't be commonly known.

As for the killers motives, it is probably more to do with their distaste towards multiculturalism as a whole than in response to 9/11. The Sikh culture is far different from American culture, and although is by no means similar to Islam either, it is just as alien to the killer. You also have to remember than 9/11 was almost 11 years ago now, and if he were doing it in response to those attacks it seems strange to have waited such a long time. I think they probably have parallels with Anders Brevik, in their hatred towards people from ethnic backgrounds.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by ConnorB
I'm not going to jump to conclusions what the killers motive was. But I will outline the differences between Orthodox Sikhs and Orthodox Muslims.

Sikhs are prohibited from eating halal food.
They do not go on pilgrimages
Even orthodox Sikhs regard women as equals unlike Islam.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Islam_vs_Sikhism

1. Thank you for that spectacular analysis of the differences of these 2 rich and diverse religions in 3 lines. Bravo :congrats:

2. Your attempts to be witty are pathetic. In a thread where the OP is referring to a tragic incident where people lost their lives, please don't try to stir up racial hatred.

Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by Steevee

It's not the mainstream media's job to educate; but once they publish something or announce something, it's heard by a lot of people.

I think you're underestimating the power of media.

Having said that, I suppose, it shouldn't really matter to people, whether the media confused the shooter into thinking Sikhs were Muslims. Even if it was an attack at a Muslim place of worship, innocent people would still have died.
Original post by Rarar
Oh right, okay, I didn't realize that. I apologize for that error on my part.

Rage of ethno-religious solidarity averted in 5...4...3...2...1...aborted.

Yeah it's a shame but a guy shot up the place, well it's pretty much case closed, he was a hateful bigot at best, and mentally unhinged and a nutjob at worst.

Why are you angry about it? It didn't happen to you, and it's not like society condones that sort of behaviour. It was one guy. Tragedy yes but Sikhism remains un-persecuted and inviolate.

Ignorance is a sad fact of reality, for every intelligent person you're going to find a moron, whether they're white, black, Christian or Sikh.

Why should the media talk about their beliefs? The story was that a guy shot up the place, not a documentary on the faith.

Why does it reflect poorly on society? Do you know everything about Christianity? Or Islam? Or any other faith? Do you feel you are required to know about it?

Most members of society have little to no need to know about Sikhism, or any other faith for that matter. I don't know advanced math, I don't need to I'm not a physicist or engineer. It's irrelevant. For those that do/want to they can find the information themselves.

Original post by B-Man.
You are both banned from continuing this pointless discussion. Do not make any further posts.

You know on some forums its considered a bannable offence to moderate threads without being a moderator.

Just sayin' broham.
Don't you find a bit sad how all the news broadcasts have been repeating things like "Sikhs are not Muslims. They're completely different" as if to say that attack on muslims is understandable, and dare I say, even acceptable.

Any one else felt like this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending