The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL: 2012 Graduate Scheme Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jasonlui
Haha, well I've just finished an internship at a boutique investment bank in the brokerage division and I'm currently on a trading internship at a proprietary trading firm.

Is it not possible for you to convert one of internships to full time one?
Original post by Dumb Economist
why is it stupid? Somewhere on TSR I read a final year student who went from Spring week to Summer to grad in same year. So try all possible combinations. Nothing to lose but gain.. I think.

i dont want to do final year spring internship even if its possible, i need a good grade.
why is it stupid? Somewhere on TSR I read a final year student who went from Spring week to Summer to grad in same year. So try all possible combinations. Nothing to lose but gain.. I think.

One of the rare occurrences of an intern receiving an offer for an immediate start after the internship finishes. It does happen as you say, but I don't know how you can try all combo's when banks don't allow you to apply for internships and grad positions in the same cycle.
two internships no offer
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hampstead_K
One of the rare occurrences of an intern receiving an offer for an immediate start after the internship finishes. It does happen as you say, but I don't know how you can try all combo's when banks don't allow you to apply for internships and grad positions in the same cycle.

Just have to find out when their start dates are for grad positions, if thy're july then forget a summer internship. if theyre august you might fit one in.

if that happens apply for summer ones first. Saying that I also have a feeling for next couple years the job market is going to be lot tighter and many of the banks may limit their Grad program intake only through summer intern pool. :frown:
Original post by twaiter_eiersh
Just have to find out when their start dates are for grad positions, if thy're july then forget a summer internship. if theyre august you might fit one in.

One can still accept offer for GRAD program with gap year in between. So permutations are possible.
Reply 47
Is it not possible for you to convert one of internships to full time one?

I have an offer to be a broker but I want to be a trader.
Original post by jasonlui
I have an offer to be a broker but I want to be a trader.

Yes that is tough :redface: Read somewhere - I think on efinancial website, number of trading hires are getting smaller due to the current market situations. :frown:
Reply 49
Original post by twaiter_eiersh
dont get why people complain when they have internships if you were lauphing at yourself. if they had any people power skills whatsoever they would have the grad offer.

the way i see it, two internships no offer=failure in IB.

I would imagine 2 internships is better than no internship at all.
which propriety firm if u dont mind me asking?
Reply 51
Got this from Barcap:

Dear ******

As our interns are still here, we presently do not know how much extra hiring we may be doing for graduate 2012 vacancies.

We do accept final year students onto our scheme for internships.

Regards

Campus Recruitment

Didn't get the same message, why are they not sending this to everyone?
I emailed them separately about this. I am concerned, like many, that the squeeze on 2012 Grad hiring will limit positions to those on internships now. They replied further to that message saying it may be advisable to wait until September so that numbers can be confirmed.

I think it's best to contact each bank you intend to apply to in order to ensure you don't waste grad apps for firms not hiring.
Reply 53
I really want to apply to grads scheme but I keep failing the SHL maths test.... even though im applying to HR/MARKETING roles..... ='(
Reply 54
Got this from Barcap:

Dear ******

As our interns are still here, we presently do not know how much extra hiring we may be doing for graduate 2012 vacancies.

We do accept final year students onto our scheme for internships.

Regards

Campus Recruitment

I called to see for fast track availability at Barcap for grad scheme for people with internships. They said they are not doing that this year, as they are only taking graduates from their current interns.
Can you explain this fast track thing? Looks like grad intakes across the board will be interns only :s-smilie:

Also what division was this for? I was referring to S&T
Reply 56

Some banks allow those with internships already to skip to AC or face to face interviews. I was referring to S&T also, particularly in commodity derivatives
Oh right, so you're at another BB interning then? Looks grim - need to start a position myself next summer as i finish my MSc.
Reply 58
Oh right, so you're at another BB interning then? Looks grim - need to start a position myself next summer as i finish my MSc.

Exactly the same situation. What 'positioning' are you planning to do?
It would be interesting to know for this year what % of summer interns got full time offers in different banks. Current news from Banks are gloomy. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest