The Student Room Group

What HL IB subjects should i take? Business, Economics, Physics, or Chemistry?

Please help me! I need a detailed answer, which I would really appreciate if you answer my questions :smile: I posted this on yahoo answers too.

I need 3 HL subjects, and i have no idea which I should take. I don't really have an idea of what my future occupation should be, and therefore I came up with these possibilites:

Business and Managment
Chemistry
Physics

(All in HL)

This , I thought, would give me a chance at more physical-scientific jobs. Is the combination too hard? I added the business HL instead of economics because I thought it would be more acceptable and recognized, and will open more doors, yet after reading online, I found that economics was more recognized, and business was frowned upon?

Are two sciences hard? or should I take two humanities? Business and economics. I didn't take geography at IGCSE, so would it be advisable to take it? I take IGCSE ICT, yet I think IB ITGS wouldn't really work out very well?

I need Maths HL for business,economics, and physics professions, but my maths levels only allow me to take Maths Studies at this stage? does this mean I'm stuck with no possibilites of getting the jobs I desire?

I wanted to be a pilot, yet after IGCSE, I figured out that I love humanities, and that I'm reasonable at the sciences (averaging between a B and an A in physics and chemistry).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you want to do sciences other than chemistry and biology then you will need Maths HL at grades 5-7.
If you want to do economics, some universities don't require Maths but many will require Maths HL at 5-7.
Doing Physics, Chemistry and Business is a pretty stupid combination. You can either add Maths HL to that and remove Business or Take out the sciences and do humanities.
IF you like humanities, do English, History or whatever.

My advice? Don't do the IB and do A levels, because A level maths and further maths are much, much easier to HL maths. Also university requirements for the IB are ridiculously high.
Reply 2
If you want to follow a strong maths based career do A level maths, im a 2nd year IB atm and IB standard maths is not hard at all, and, imo, less respected than A level maths. A combination of HL Chemistry and Physics would be hell in 2nd year, A* GCSEs were advised at my college. A combination of Business and a science at HL would give you analytical skills that would be beneficial in a science profession.
On the subject of Economics and Business, either is good, depending on how well you do, both teach you tok look a a situation and analyse it in business/economics ways.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3
But , can you give me a good combination that would open most doors to me, and will give me a good chance without Maths HL?? I simply can't take it, not my own choice, since I do IGCSE maths core, even though I manage to get good grades in physics and now in chemistry. I find the humanities easy, and I generally score A-B grades.

The combination of physics, chemistry, and business is "stupid" and "hell". Can you clarify why? as in, are you speaking from a 'hardness' perspective, or is it that I will have no job opportunities?

Will universities accept a student with maths studies? say the LSE

Is it recommended to take physics HL without maths HL?

Also, what exactly do I need to become a commercial pilot.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
The best combination would be Chemistry and Physics plus one humanity. I STRONGLY advise taking two HL sciences due to the 'hell' I mentioned being no life outside of IB and a lot of pressure, but on the other side, most likely good job opportunites. If you think you can do it, try it.

Universities will accept Maths studies providing you get a good grade in it. If you chose LSE, you would have to do Business or Economics along with it.

Again, if you think you can handle a lot of work in a short space of time and organise notes well, then go, by all means go for both Physics HL and Maths HL.

As for becoming a pilot, I have no idea what you need to get.
Reply 5
Original post by co2014
But , can you give me a good combination that would open most doors to me, and will give me a good chance without Maths HL?? I simply can't take it, not my own choice, since I do IGCSE maths core, even though I manage to get good grades in physics and now in chemistry. I find the humanities easy, and I generally score A-B grades.

The combination of physics, chemistry, and business is "stupid" and "hell". Can you clarify why? as in, are you speaking from a 'hardness' perspective, or is it that I will have no job opportunities?

Will universities accept a student with maths studies? say the LSE

Is it recommended to take physics HL without maths HL?

Also, what exactly do I need to become a commercial pilot.

I am knowledgeable in this regard.
You can take Physics and Chemistry but instead of taking Business, take Economics because it is better regarded. Business is seen as a weaker subject.
However Physics, Chemistry and Business will be hard. HL Physics and Chemistry are notoriously difficult without the right intellect and work ethic. If you aren't interested in Engineering, Mathematics or Physics, then the combination will not be too bad. You can apply for medecine, biochem, biomed, chem, biological sciences, and other subjects in between.
I'd advise against taking Maths studies because it may be seen as a joke subject if you're applying for a science based university course. If you are applying for a humanities degree then it will not be nearly as much an issue.
However if you want to apply for a humanities, your combination of Physics, Chemistry and Business will be quite stupid. You don't have a real essay based topic. So you'll be better off replacing Business or one or both sciences with English and/or History.
My two cents.
My recommendation is you either focus on sciences or focus on humanities, doing a mixture of both is probably not ideal, but it is up to you to decide where your strengths lie and what would allow you to achieve the best results.
Physics HL is one of the hardest subjects, so make sure you are really good at it :smile: good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by NeutralMilk
I am knowledgeable in this regard.
You can take Physics and Chemistry but instead of taking Business, take Economics because it is better regarded. Business is seen as a weaker subject.
However Physics, Chemistry and Business will be hard. HL Physics and Chemistry are notoriously difficult without the right intellect and work ethic. If you aren't interested in Engineering, Mathematics or Physics, then the combination will not be too bad. You can apply for medecine, biochem, biomed, chem, biological sciences, and other subjects in between.
I'd advise against taking Maths studies because it may be seen as a joke subject if you're applying for a science based university course. If you are applying for a humanities degree then it will not be nearly as much an issue.
However if you want to apply for a humanities, your combination of Physics, Chemistry and Business will be quite stupid. You don't have a real essay based topic. So you'll be better off replacing Business or one or both sciences with English and/or History.
My two cents.
My recommendation is you either focus on sciences or focus on humanities, doing a mixture of both is probably not ideal, but it is up to you to decide where your strengths lie and what would allow you to achieve the best results.

I can't figure out exactly where I want to specialize, because I am good at humanities, and I love the sciences. What kinds of occupations would I manage if I take two humanities, say economics and business?

I do take english and i'm planning to do a bilingual diploma with both languages at SL because I want the sciences and the humanities to be at higher level. Does that help? My subject, as I image right now, would be:

2 SL Languages
Maths Studies
Physics HL
Chemistry HL
Economics HL

How is this combination .not. ideal for a job in the physics industry? I understand that the maths qualification would give me problems, but that's that. Do I have ANY chance to get any respected university with maths studies?

As for the balance of humanities/ Sciences, what's more recommended? I don't really know what most people take, could you please just give me a rough idea?

Now that my questions were answered, I just can't decide whether to take 2 humanities and one science, or vise versa.

I can take one HL language too, but I'll have to 'downgrade' a science or a humanity. Is that advisable?

Thank you for your thoughtful answers so far :smile:
Reply 8
Best combination would be Chemistry, Econmoics plus a humanity. My reference to two HL sciences being hell refers to the lack of life outside IB you will have, the work is intense in second year. If you think you can do it, go for it, but I strongly advise against it, however the job potential would be good.

All unis accepts Maths Studies as long as you get a good grade (5-7) and you have other good grades to go with it.
Physics and Maths do go well together, but if you cant take Maths HL you can still take Physics.

See if you can contact any IB teachers at the college/sixth form you are planning to go to, they should be able to answer your questions.
Reply 9
I am now stuck AGAIN. Is it stupid taking HL physics with maths studies (I must take maths studies, school policy since I take IGCSE Maths Core) .

Now that I put emphasis on math studies, is there any hope? any point of doing the IB at all? :s

Even if I do actually pass HL physics, I won't be able to take on university courses?

What about chemistry HL, is it the same case?

To wrap things up, do I get any good careers? I know medicine is probably the only open field right now, and without HL maths, I can't do anything O.O All economics/ business /physics/engineering/ geography/ computer science courses need HL maths

Is it possible to go up from studies to standard? and is it sane?

I haven't looked for courses that accept maths studies, but from a paper given to us in school, ALL universities want HL..
Original post by co2014
I am now stuck AGAIN. Is it stupid taking HL physics with maths studies (I must take maths studies, school policy since I take IGCSE Maths Core) .

Now that I put emphasis on math studies, is there any hope? any point of doing the IB at all? :s

Even if I do actually pass HL physics, I won't be able to take on university courses?

What about chemistry HL, is it the same case?

To wrap things up, do I get any good careers? I know medicine is probably the only open field right now, and without HL maths, I can't do anything O.O All economics/ business /physics/engineering/ geography/ computer science courses need HL maths

Is it possible to go up from studies to standard? and is it sane?

I haven't looked for courses that accept maths studies, but from a paper given to us in school, ALL universities want HL..

Seriously, don't take Math Studies, esp. if you want to do sciences in university. I'm not kidding. It's despised by universities. Take Math SL at least.

If your school doesn't allow you to take Math SL or HL, then just do the A Levels! Math Studies kills all your chances.
Reply 11
tomorrow is the deadline! Now, I have to chose either two humanities or two sciences, and i'm not sure!

TSR Community, I really need your help, I can't chose because I don't have enough information now. From all the advise, I've come to this subject choice:

-- 2 SL Languages
-- Maths Studies (Please don't tell me I shouldn't take this, I already explained that i have to)
-- Economics HL

I have to chose 2 more HL subjects, and my interests are as follows:

-- Business and management HL
-- Physics HL
-- Chemistry HL

I can't decide if I should take both HL sciences, or just one? You told me it's going to be hard taking two, I think I can get my act together for 2 years. I can also take one SL science, and one HL language.

I really like physics, therefore i'm considering it for group 4, even though I take maths studies. Our careers advisor said it'll look weird on my diploma, but there it is, I either want to become a commercial pilot or proceed to do business management and economics in uni.

I can also take business, but now I have the dilemma: Business or chemistry?? Or should it be chemistry rather than physics?

I would like to know which would be more beneficial in terms of jobs,uni etc. Also which science is harder?

P.S:Would you advise me take business or a science?
Reply 12
I'd advise against Physics HL if you're forced to take Maths Studies. I know someone who did, and had to take a lot of extra work to catch up with the mathematical portions of it.
If you're interested in Economics, I'd recommend doing Business and Management as well. They're both respected subjects when applying to university. They're also related subjects, so that'll help in the long run.
It does depend on what you want to study later on though. If you do want to continue on the science subjects, I would recommend doing the science you're interested in.
However, I would steer you away from doing two sciences at HL and instead doing a language instead. What English option are you going to do?
Reply 13
Also, it is very near impossible to be able to study Economics at a prestigious university with Maths Studies. My friend applied with Maths SL last year and was turned down by two purely based on that subject choice.
Reply 14
I read the sheffield prospectus for management and economics, and it only required a B at gcse level? would they be very picky on that?

I found this picture, http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m08u4p1Ex61rq546xo1_250.jpg on facebook, is it realistic?

But I really like physics, I feel like it is more practical and relevant. So , as per your resolutions, I should take two sciences, one at HL,and one HL language and scrap physics is possible?

Maiti, did your friend pass? Because i'm finding IGCSE physics extended quite normal, got a B-A average. The mathematics is non-calculas, so I would do it in maths studies.

As for economics at uni, I loved the LSE, but my current subject choices don't even allow me to think about it. I think I have a chance at sheffield and other unis? or would I be turned down too?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Where and for what exactly can you study and specialize in with maths studies? So far, I got that I will be screwed for life, with no firms or unis accepting me?

I do not take biology, so I do not consider medicine (but I'd love to have medicine it as a secondary option if economics school turn me down), and I think courses on law would have quite a significant level of competition with students who take HL maths?

I really appreciate the help, it was much needed before the deadline.
Reply 16
Original post by co2014
I read the sheffield prospectus for management and economics, and it only required a B at gcse level? would they be very picky on that?

I found this picture, http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m08u4p1Ex61rq546xo1_250.jpg on facebook, is it realistic?

But I really like physics, I feel like it is more practical and relevant. So , as per your resolutions, I should take two sciences, one at HL,and one HL language and scrap physics is possible?

Maiti, did your friend pass? Because i'm finding IGCSE physics extended quite normal, got a B-A average. The mathematics is non-calculas, so I would do it in maths studies.

As for economics at uni, I loved the LSE, but my current subject choices don't even allow me to think about it. I think I have a chance at sheffield and other unis? or would I be turned down too?

If you want to do physics, I recommend doing it at SL if at all possible. Because that really would make it easier for you and you'd still be able to study it. So do Chemistry HL and Physics SL if that would fit into your schedule.
My friend did pass with a 5. So not horrible, but not as good as they would have liked to have either considering the extra workload they had! I think it does depend on person.
I think it depends entirely on your grades. If you have immaculate grades, then universities can see past your subject choices. Granted, my friend who did Maths SL got a predicted 39 (and 42 overall after exams) yet was rejected by 2 out of her 5 choices. It depends on how high you're trying to aim. LSE would be difficult no matter what your subject choices are. I don't know enough about Sheffield to give you advice there!
Reply 17
Do you personally do IB physics HL though? What If I start with HL and move down to SL very late into the year, would all the work be fit for SL? or do SL students study different chapters.

So, would you recommend two sciences or two humanities then? Either way, there is a HUGE possibility of being rejected :frown:

I am still very enthusiastic about HL physics. Is it harder than HL chem?

I can say my choice for physics has been even more emphasized because my friends had me watch the big bang theory. The way Sheldo speaks makes me want to specialize in science, yet I find humanities very nice, a personal interest if you ask me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by co2014
Do you personally do IB physics HL though? What If I start with HL and move down to SL very late into the year, would all the work be fit for SL? or do SL students study different chapters.

So, would you recommend two sciences or two humanities then? Either way, there is a HUGE possibility of being rejected :frown:

I am still very enthusiastic about HL physics. Is it harder than HL chem?

I can say my choice for physics has been even more emphasized because my friends had me watch the big bang theory. The way Sheldo speaks makes me want to specialize in science, yet I find humanities very nice, a personal interest if you ask me.

I didn't do physics. I did biology! But most of my friends did Physics HL with another science on top of that and I saw that massive workload they had.

If you're wanting to study Economics and Business later on I would recommend doing those as HL. Those are both respected by universities too so if you do well in both subjects and get good predicted grades, I wouldn't say that the risk of being rejected by universities is that high. However, later on, maybe at the end of year one of IB, I'd send enquiries to potential universities asking them about their course and whether they'd consider you based on your subject choices.

I really, really wouldn't study IB Physics just because of a TV show. It's quite hard to change subjects in the IB so you really need to be certain that you want to study them for the two years.

Are you doing English A1 or A2? Also, is it compulsory for you to do two languages? I know some schools that give IB recommend for you to do that, especially if English is not your first language.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
when you say a1/ a2, do you mean hl/ sl? our school hasen't really put it across very well to us, but I understand that we're doing a first language course that is literature intensive :smile: they do offer hl/sl for that specific option though. English B is NOT offered. which english course would you recommend?

I am planning to make the other language of my choice SL, But HL If I can't choose either an HL or SL science. My preference for physics has been there for 2 years, and i've only started watching tbbt last week :smile: i find chemistry too small, if you get what I mean? two small to be practical and notable during life. The subject is enclosed within the lab :P. Is it more complicated than physics though? I might alter my choices. What group 4 subject do you recommend? my chemistry teacher told me that his HL students pass, but they don't necessarily reach a 7 or a 6.

For group 6, should it be a science or a humanity then? I can't chose because I don't really know, all the advice has been coming from you :biggrin:D I thank you, and give you an online round of applause. :smile:

Our school registers us with the IBO on the second year, meaning that we can switch between courses even three months into them.

Oh and one last thing, do you do a certificate or a diploma programme? I don't understand why people do certificates if you can get them with your diploma.

Our school has us doing a bilingual diploma (compulsory) because it is highly regarded, better than the other qualifications they say.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending