The Student Room Group

What do you think is the most useless degree you could ever get?

For me, it has to be History without a doubt... Without travelling far and wide to pointlessly study it in university, all you'd really need to do is:

Write essays - I have a pen and paper, and a laptop to type documents
Read books - I'll get those from my local library which is a 5 minute bus journey. If I need extra books, I'll go on Ebay or Amazon
Field trips - Visit a few places related to whatever you're studying

These are all things you can do in your local town without spending a few grand on tuition fees. In an academic sense, why spend years in university accumulating vast amounts of student debt which you'll never pay back because there's no hope of getting a decent job with that degree?
I could get a Ph.D level of knowledge on the Crusades by sitting in my living room/study/bedroom and reading copious amounts of materials related to the topic over a few years.
History is a subject for the rich, pompous, middle-class scholars who didn't know what to do with their hefty parental allowances so they blew it all on pointless tuition fees for that pointless degree.
People studying History generally have nothing better to do than to loaf around sipping tea, nibbling crumpets and having senseless debates about the most pointless and outdated events which have long since been swept under the rug by anyone with an ounce of common sense.

Guy with common sense: Hi, what are you studying?
History student: History, you?
Guy with common sense: Psh... History? Well then, let's hope you're not living in a skip by the time you find out who killed the Princes in the Tower

Edit: (Negged by butt-hurt History students who can't face the truth)

Edit 2: (I've never applied for, nor have I been rejected for a History degree. I got 5 straight offers for Biochemistry which I am currently studying) BOOM.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
golf greenkeeping, I enjoy golf but why would you pay tuition fees to learn how to cut grass.
Reply 2
OP clearly got rejected to study a history degree...
Reply 3
Does it really matter? If you think a degree is useless then don't bloody study it, and let those who do want to study it do. Most/All degrees have a use, even if it's to learn skills for another discipline altogether.
lady gaga degree
Reply 5
Original post by Arcanine
OP clearly got rejected to study a history degree...

Wrong there, my son. So wrong.

Almost as wrong as the thought that sitting there listening to the endless ramblings of a History professor is productive.
I'm not even a History student but History teaches analytical skills, how to write to a high standard, how to set out, begin and conclude an argument succinctly and other skills that I would probably remember if it wasn't 2.30! Plus it's fascinating. Sure, History isn't going to mean you're guaranteed a job, but few degrees do nowadays. The skills history students have are valuable, perhaps not in things like engineering (though I may be wrong as I know nooothing!) but in any sort of job where you may have to make applications for money, put forward a presentation for a new project or something similar, what you learn as a history student is definitely useful.
Reply 7
Piss off about history mate, hardly the most useless subject out there.
You have SERIOUS issues.
haha a history degree isn't worthless

I'd have to say women studies ... I know you should go to university with a passion too but come on.... women studies... really?

www.londonmet.ac.uk/depts/fssh/humanities-arts-languages/ug/womens-studies.cfm
Reply 10
Any degree if you spend three years sitting on your arse the rest of the time doing nothing else. Without work experience to back up your education, you won't be able to get a job at the end and it will end up being a worthless endeavour.
You're being quite stupid about it aren't you? History is important - it's how we learn from the past to deal with the present/future and in order for people to continue teaching it we'll need them to first learn about it.

Regardless, I fail to see why you're so pissed about it? Why's it got you so stressed that you feel the need to tell a bunch of strangers on the net how much you hate it? How is it affecting your life? Go and do something constuctive with your own life rather than criticise others who are more busy living their's.
Reply 12
Stained Glass Window Studies ... how is this even a thing? :lolwut:
Law.

Purely because ... there are no jobs!!! :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by miserlou
Stained Glass Window Studies ... how is this even a thing? :lolwut:

Can you do a stained glass window? Do you know how to cut the glass, put the pieces together safely and securely? Create patterns and designs using the right colours and inks/paints? Do you know about what time period each stained glass comes from? Thought not. As I said earlier, every degree has a use.
Geology/Geography
Original post by Zangoose
For me, it has to be History without a doubt... Without travelling far and wide to pointlessly study it in university, all you'd really need to do is:

Write essays - I have a pen and paper, and a laptop to type documents
Read books - I'll get those from my local library which is a 5 minute bus journey. If I need extra books, I'll go on Ebay or Amazon
Field trips - Visit a few places related to whatever you're studying

These are all things you can do in your local town without spending a few grand on tuition fees. In an academic sense, why spend years in university accumulating vast amounts of student debt which you'll never pay back because there's no hope of getting a decent job with that degree?
I could get a Ph.D level of knowledge in the Crusades by sitting in my living room/study/bedroom and reading copious amounts of material related to the topic over a few years.
History is a subject for the rich, pompous, middle-class scholars who didn't know what to do with their hefty parental allowance so they blew it all on pointless tuition fees for that pointless degree.
People studying History generally have nothing better to do than to loaf around sipping tea, nibbling crumpets and having senseless arguments about the most pointless and outdated events which have long since been swept under the rug by anyone with an ounce of common sense.

Guy with common sense: Hi, what are you studying?
History student: History, you?
Guy with common sense: Psh... History? Well then, let's hope you're not living in a skip by the time you find out who killed the Princes in the Tower

Edit: (Negged by butt-hurt History students who can't face the truth)

Yeah, that and Philosophy...

History: Arguing about pointless details of the past.

Philosophy: Arguing about pointless details of the present.

Biology, Chemistry and Physics: Gets **** done.
Reply 17
Medicine
Reply 18
Original post by Zangoose
Wrong there, my son. So wrong.

Almost as wrong as the thought that sitting there listening to the endless ramblings of a History professor is productive.

Haha so which universities rejected you to study history? The massive chip on your shoulder is clearly caused by something :rolleyes:
Either you were rejected by a history course or you're massively sexually frustrated so take it out on the internet in the form of a diatribe that few will read and fewer will care about
Original post by imperial maniac
Yeah, that and Philosophy...

History: Arguing about pointless details of the past.

Philosophy: Arguing about pointless details of the present.

Biology, Chemistry and Physics: Gets **** done.

Why is getting **** done important?

Latest

Trending

Trending