The Student Room Group

Should I take GCSE PE?? Help!

Okay, so:
I'm about to choose my options for GCSE :confused: and I've been considering PE, I'm not the most sporty person in my class and I've noticed how only the really popular and skinny people are taking it. So, I'm really worried that I'll be judged and of not being good enough.
I take different sports outside of school, kickboxing and fencing, and I've always enjoyed, and been good at, swimming. But again, I'm very self conscious of what people might think about me. I've asked my teachers and they said I'd be good at it since, at our school, 60% theory and they said id be able to pass the practical. I've also looked on other forums and asked friends but lots have said its only for 'real athletes', which I am not. I do quite enjoy sport and think the theory sounds interesting but I'm still not sure, help!!:afraid::afraid::afraid:
(edited 7 years ago)
Take it, it's really fun. I did a variety of sports for my practical and it gives you the oppurtunity to find something you never knew you were good at! Its still got that theory element that can compensate for your average sporting ability. Even then, you can get graded for things like officiating a game which requires the physical fitness of a potato. "Real athletes" lol no way there were people of different abilities doing PE most of which got high A's and A stars.
I did PE and I'm not skinny or really fit.

The theory is dead easy, like really easy. There's just quite a lot of it, so you need to allow yourself time to revise it all - something I didn't do and regretted massively.

If you do sports outside of school you're instantly at an advantage - you're likely to get some pretty high scores for them and have your life made easier. I relied on sports I did in school and got atrocious scores for my practical, even in my strongest sport (hockey).

If you do do it you'll probably want to get a bit fitter to not be as far behind the others. Maybe start going to a gym? That helped me massively. I was the worst at the practical element and didn't get teased that much, and the odd occasion I did I tried to laugh it off anyway. I'm sure you'll be okay. And in my school it wasn't just the skinny popular people who chose it - most were athletic boys but the girls weren't that popular or "skinny". No one really judged, but I do realise this'll be different between schools.

What else are you considering?

For the record, I didn't pass PE. I got a D, which I was very annoyed about because it didn't fit in well with my other grades and I wished I'd picked a subject I would have had a better chance at doing well in (French). But if your teachers are confident about you passing the practical you wouldn't have much to worry about :smile:
Original post by _everosie
Okay, so:
I'm about to choose my options for GCSE :confused: and I've been considering PE, I'm not the most sporty person in my class and I've noticed how only the really popular and skinny people are taking it. So, I'm really worried that I'll be judged and of not being good enough.
I take different sports outside of school, kickboxing and fencing, and I've always enjoyed, and been good at, swimming. But again, I'm very self conscious of what people might think about me. I've asked my teachers and they said I'd be good at it since, at our school, 60% theory and they said id be able to pass the practical. I've also looked on other forums and asked friends but lots have said its only for 'real athletes', which I am not. I do quite enjoy sport and think the theory sounds interesting but I'm still not sure, help!!:afraid::afraid::afraid:

Think about whether you can get a good grade or if you have an interest in doing A level or some sort of sports science degree. Academically its going to be viewed as a soft option, but one GCSE doesnt matter.
Reply 4
Original post by NiamhM1801

What else are you considering?

I'm considering history and double languages, Spanish and French, a couple of my older friends have said how you should have a more 'relaxed' lesson where you don't have to write down as much as well, pe could be good for that?
Original post by _everosie
I'm considering history and double languages, Spanish and French, a couple of my older friends have said how you should have a more 'relaxed' lesson where you don't have to write down as much as well, pe could be good for that?

That was exactly why I chose it, and I did enjoy having 2 extra practical lessons a week on top of the core one. It is really good for giving you a break from your written subjects and just get moving. Also I learnt a lot about how to live healthily from the theory - I actually know how to exercise effectively in a gym and how to manage diet and stuff so it's one of the most helpful subjects for transferable skills to real life.
Reply 6
Thank you!! I think I will take it now :smile:
Reply 7
thank i think i will choose it too. im a star in the making
Reply 8
If you're looking for a tutor, click on the attachment.
The theory pe is easy to learn, then you just have to remember it. You don't have to be particularly sporty to take it as you can find a sport that you like during practical lessons and build that up.
No.
Same.im not sure if i should do pe and im thinking im going to later regret it
boring but your choice
Dont it is hard and useless unless you want to be a physio or something to do with science as you learn about the body which is boring but if you think you are just doing practical all the time think again also all the popular kids will probably do it and if you aren't popular you will probably be bullied
thats the most retarded thing ive ever heard
Original post by bpalmer2003
Dont it is hard and useless unless you want to be a physio or something to do with science as you learn about the body which is boring but if you think you are just doing practical all the time think again also all the popular kids will probably do it and if you aren't popular you will probably be bullied
That’s bull**** just because the popular people are doing it doesn’t mean you’ll be bullied I’ve taken it yet I’m kind of in the same position but I wouldn’t say it’s a useless subject
Original post by Namelesslol
That’s bull**** just because the popular people are doing it doesn’t mean you’ll be bullied I’ve taken it yet I’m kind of in the same position but I wouldn’t say it’s a useless subject

What is practical like ocr

Quick Reply

Latest