The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Zoedotdot
I'll have a proper think later, but if you haven't already seen Battlestar Galactica I highly recommend it. Don't think it's quite as nerdy as Star Trek (which I also love btw, The Next Generation is awesome) because I think it just uses a science fiction setting as a means of exaggerating the portrayal of underlying issues in current society. Plus it's a really well put together show.

Until the last season. Full of plotholes then :p: And the last episode is incredibly depressing, and the character I hated most lurched from strength to strength. But I still watched it so it obviously had something going for it.
I'll have a proper think later, but if you haven't already seen Battlestar Galactica I highly recommend it. Don't think it's quite as nerdy as Star Trek (which I also love btw, The Next Generation is awesome) because I think it just uses a science fiction setting as a means of exaggerating the portrayal of underlying issues in current society. Plus it's a really well put together show.

Thanks for the suggestion - I was addicted to Battlestar Galactica last summer and so have watched it all. :biggrin:

Original post by Gesar
Until the last season. Full of plotholes then :p: And the last episode is incredibly depressing, and the character I hated most lurched from strength to strength. But I still watched it so it obviously had something going for it.

Spoiler

I finally found time to watch Pratchett's 'Choosing to Die' documentary. It was sooo sad! :cry2: However I hugely respect him for sharing the issue he's grappling with, and using his position to catalyse a shift in public opinion and policy.
Reply 1183
Original post by alex_hk90
Thanks for the suggestion - I was addicted to Battlestar Galactica last summer and so have watched it all. :biggrin:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Craghyrax
I finally found time to watch Pratchett's 'Choosing to Die' documentary. It was sooo sad! :cry2: However I hugely respect him for sharing the issue he's grappling with, and using his position to catalyse a shift in public opinion and policy.

Thanks for reminding me I need to watch that.

Original post by Gesar

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Faro_a11
Who marks cambridges papers?

In Economics the papers were marked by our lecturers (i.e. Economics Fellows).
Reply 1185
Original post by Blaah Blaah
King Creosote is a Scottish singer-songwriter who's released over 40 albums in the last 13 years. Since you're looking for music to keep you busy for a year, trying to track them all down could be a good suggestion.

Bizarre, I think I've met him. Name's Kenny yeah?

Seconding Airplane as an absolute requirement. Also would advise Star Trek, House, HIMYM, Glee, HSM...
Books...been a while since I've read any:p: But as much asimov as you can find, the eragon series I like, potentially some non-fiction stuff too...
Heh well if we were going for lighter fantasy such as Eragon, then Trudi Canavan's 'Age of Five' is absolutely fantastic!
Reply 1187
Didn't anyone else find Eragon to be pretty poorly written?
Reply 1188
Original post by Apagg
I thought it was awfully written. I also found the main character very annoying. Still enjoyed it though.

Thanks for the Song of Ice and Fire recommendation (even if you technically made it to Craghyrax) btw, though the start of exam term possibly wasn't the best time for it...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1189
Original post by Apagg

I really disliked Eragon. I thought the author was a bit up himself (due to being fifteen or whatever) and that really showed through in the writing, which was really quite poor but was massively amped up by critics (also because he was fifteen). I happened to be fifteen when I read it and while I realise it's quite a feat to write a full length novel at that age and I certainly couldn't have managed it while trying to juggle school and everything, I did feel like if I'd written a novel that read like that I probably wouldn't want my parents to self-publish it until I'd made it a whole lot better.

Then again, I haven't read it since the first time and didn't read any of the sequels so perhaps I was just feeling vindictive.
Reply 1190
I remember not minding Eragon, although someone once asked me out in the Dwarvish language from the Eragon series (not even Tolkien dwarvish, for goodness' sake) which rather put me off wanting to reread it.
Reply 1191
Original post by Melz0r
I remember not minding Eragon, although someone once asked me out in the Dwarvish language from the Eragon series (not even Tolkien dwarvish, for goodness' sake) which rather put me off wanting to reread it.

Omg. What did you say? :ninja: That's pretty hilarious :lol:
Reply 1192
Original post by Slumpy
Bizarre, I think I've met him. Name's Kenny yeah?

Seconding Airplane as an absolute requirement. Also would advise Star Trek, House, HIMYM, Glee, HSM...
Books...been a while since I've read any:p: But as much asimov as you can find, the eragon series I like, potentially some non-fiction stuff too...

*raises eyebrow*

I speak from the informed position of one who has taken a little sister to see all three of the HSM movies... no, just no. The third one literally made me want to vomit for being so saccharine.
Reply 1193
Original post by Melz0r
*raises eyebrow*

I speak from the informed position of one who has taken a little sister to see all three of the HSM movies... no, just no. The third one literally made me want to vomit for being so saccharine.

The thing that upset me the most about the third one was the ending:

Spoiler

Reply 1194
Original post by Melz0r
*raises eyebrow*

I like them:p:

The thing that upset me the most about the third one was the ending:

Spoiler

Didn't mind that either:p:

Basically I'm pretty easily pleased!

Oh, my goodness, it is so sad isn't it? I was also incredibly surprised that the older couple were so open to being filmed and was in floods of tears throughout!
Original post by Slumpy

Thanks. :smile:

Heh well if we were going for lighter fantasy such as Eragon, then Trudi Canavan's 'Age of Five' is absolutely fantastic!

Thanks again. :smile:

Original post by Melz0r

:toofunny: I think I'm probably very open to geekiness but that really would be too far (as would Tolkien dwarvish, to clarify). :sadnod:

Original post by Melz0r
*raises eyebrow*

This was my reaction when I read HSM - I wondered if there was an alternate meaning to that acronym. Then again I might brave it seeing as I do watch Glee. :smile:
Reply 1197

This was my reaction when I read HSM - I wondered if there was an alternate meaning to that acronym. Then again I might brave it seeing as I do watch Glee. :smile:

It probably is technically a bit rubbish, but as with many of these things, so long as you know what to expect, plenty enjoyable enough.
Reply 1198

All of Trudi Canavans books are good I think :smile:
Reply 1199
Original post by Gesar
I'll second the call for 24. I found it awesome, and if you stick it through to the 8th season that's by far the best.

Also Firefly for TV.

Books: Catch-22.

I love firefly and ofcourse dont forget to watch serenity :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending