The Student Room Group

Where can you buy cheap school Supplies?

I'm starting sixth form in September and am trying to buy some things that I've been told I have to buy.

3 lever arch files
A4 line paper pads
Scientific calculator
Dividers
Pens
Academic diary (July-July sorta thing)

But I've looked around and all this is quite expensive so can anyone recommended places that sell these things cheap?

Thanks,much appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wilkinson's or Poundland :tongue:
You can get relatively cheaply the arch files, dividers and pens from supermarkets.
Most supermarkets sell them and so does Poundland!

The scientific calculator, I would probably order online from Amazon.
Original post by grant-m-s
I'm starting sixth form in September and am trying to buy some things that I've been told I have to buy.

3 lever arch files
A4 line paper pads
Scientific calculator
Dividers
Pens

But I've looked around and all this is quite expensive so can anyone recommended places that sell these things cheap?

Wilkinsons. I buy all my school stuff from there. It's really cheap but good quality (obviously not the best though) :smile:
Reply 5
Definitely Wilkinsons. Don't go near WHSmith, it takes the piss.
Reply 6
Wilkinsons, supermarkets (especially if stuff is on offer) or The Works if there's one of those near you.

Edit: IMO the paper in Poundland's A4 refill pads is ridiculously thin, I would avoid...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Yep if you're looking for cheaper stuff then try Wilkinson's and order the calculator off of Amazon as it is usually cheaper. I wouldn't buy from whsmiths unless you want to fork out your money. It would also be good to get a big stock pile of pens at home so that you never run out :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks everyone I checked out wilkinsons website and it as really cheap :biggrin: thanks
Reply 9
Poundland or the 99p store :wink:
Reply 10
poundland for the files....... bargin!!! and wilko and ADSA!
Reply 11
The works
just steal it from school in September
amazon and supermarkets
Reply 14
Staples! Seriously, during the summer their back to school stuff is really cheap and it's not going to fall apart by October which might happen if you buy from Poundland
How about Ryman's. You could also apply for a UCAS card which gives you a 12.5% discount.
Reply 16
3 lever arch files - ASDA/Tesco etc
A4 line paper pads - Rymans for decent quality, but also most supermarkets
Scientific calculator - Amazon/eBay/ASDA/most places really
Dividers - ASDA/Tesco etc
Pens - Pretty much everywhere. If there's a higher end pen that you like, such as the Papermate Flair (:wink:) then get them in bulk from Amazon
Academic diary (July-July sorta thing) - Amazon is where you'll find the best ones for the cheapest prices. Don't settle for the poor quality poundland stuff, it's all useless imports from China and rebranded if not made in UK.
Original post by pseudonymegg
just steal it from school in September

I have 5 brand new BIC pens. All I got with the simple saying "I do not have a pen" in exams.
Reply 18
Original post by grant-m-s

3 lever arch files
A4 line paper pads
Scientific calculator
Dividers
Pens

since everybody has told you were are some good places to get things from, il leave you with a tip

TOP TIP:
instead of lever arch files (witch i used in my first year of a level) i decided to try these 'devider' things (there not actually called that)
its simply a nice plastic wallet, within is like 15 seperators in witch A4 notes can be put into, there only cheap and mine lasted me the full second year, i bought 1 for each subject

found em much eisier that lever arch files to use as your not faffing around looking for pages, holepunching, beacause if you use wallets you cant put some card deviders in beacause they will be to small and you wont bee able to see them for the plastic wallets after time, oh and your not continuels having to open up the lever arch file, well i geuss you dont have to unless rearanging....

if you get a black marker its helpfull to mark your unit, topic, ect of the pages on the plastic wallet too

try em, you may like em
got mine just cheap from asda near the plastic wallets :smile:

oh and, GOOD LUCK!

(the pucka pads 400 pages were pretty good and not too expensive might be worth getting them for paper, depending on what you do they may last you a term, unfortunatly for me, to learn things well, i have to copy out notes lots of times, in coulors and stuff, so i whent through one per 1/2 term, witch wasnt too bad :smile: )
(edited 11 years ago)
Consider what functions you are likely to need on a scientific calculator pre-purchase. I find the Casio FX-991 ES to be the best for A-Level Maths, but it's about 15 quid and has a lot of bells and whistles that are only really useful in Further Maths.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending