The Student Room Group

AS/A Level Results Day March 8th Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Misskatie7
The next day i have 3 lessons of chemistry and the teacher will hate me as i probs got a U. so most of the lesson i'm going to sit there listening to him going on and on about how i'm not going to get into a uni with U's. :frown:
ergh hate results day
my exam technique is terrible. and i panic so write complete crap even though i know the answer :facepalm:

I know the feeling. It's as if they think you haven't realised by now, I never learn anything in lessons (Short attention span), and when I do try and learn all I get is crap from teachers.
Original post by Jessca

So I am waiting on 6 results this March and hoping my technique was right this time around so I don't have to resit all over again! Actually dreading opening the results so I have asked my friend if she will do it for me - I sat Psychology A unit 1 & 3, Sociology unit 2&3 and Business unit 2&3 :smile:

You may well be pleasantly surprised!

As for exam technique, I agree. This is the case especially for History A Level I find.
Original post by Lorem Ipsum
You have to remember that, certainly at degree level, geography is a 'social science'. I don't think unit 2 went disastrously for me, or least I hope not, but nevertheless, it was my first AS exam, so a crushing defeat wouldn't be too motivational ahead of May.

Even so if its being called physicaly surely it should be mainly physical based.
Either way im dropping it for A2 so i'm not paticularly too bothered.
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Someone was telling me that you can get this spray (i think) that calms your nerves down and its not illegal or anything; I was literally like WTF? :biggrin:

Completely irrelevant but i thought id share :smile:

Rescue remedy? :colone:
Reply 884
ohh i think im gonna have to resit all of the exams i did :frown:
Original post by themedicalgeek
Rescue remedy? :colone:

Is that the name? :O
The spray thingy sounds pretty good, but its probably more effective pschologically, rather than actually being effective as a spray, if that makes any sense.
Reply 886
Original post by gemnomnom
You may well be pleasantly surprised!

As for exam technique, I agree. This is the case especially for History A Level I find.

I really hope so - In June I came out of every exam really happy because I really thought I did great, and I knew all the content I could have possibly known. My grades come back and sure they're nothing to be sad about but wow at the time it was like the world was ending in my eyes and I said to myself "how could I possibly do better this time around when last time I knew all of the content and still didn't get the grades" - spoke to my teachers and they said my elaboration is really poor. Why did they not tell me that before I sat the exams :confused: This time around I included a lot of detail and evaluation ect.. fingers crossed!

Essay based subjects are the worst :frown: 24 mark Psychology essays make me want to hurt people :tongue:
Is that the name? :O
The spray thingy sounds pretty good, but its probably more effective pschologically, rather than actually being effective as a spray, if that makes any sense.

I am not sure if that is the name but this stuff comes it a liquid which when taken calms you down (supposedly). Yeah most of it is prob psychological :biggrin:
Reply 888
Original post by Jessca
I really hope so - In June I came out of every exam really happy because I really thought I did great, and I knew all the content I could have possibly known. My grades come back and sure they're nothing to be sad about but wow at the time it was like the world was ending in my eyes and I said to myself "how could I possibly do better this time around when last time I knew all of the content and still didn't get the grades" - spoke to my teachers and they said my elaboration is really poor. Why did they not tell me that before I sat the exams :confused: This time around I included a lot of detail and evaluation ect.. fingers crossed!

Essay based subjects are the worst :frown: 24 mark Psychology essays make me want to hurt people :tongue:

*hi 5*

sometimes psych just makes me want to drill my biro into the back of my hand...
Reply 889
Original post by Jessca
! Actually dreading opening the results so I have asked my friend if she will do it for me

I've had to do exactly the same thing :smile: Not looking forward to 8th March. Will just drive home if my results are bad
Someone was telling me that you can get this spray (i think) that calms your nerves down and its not illegal or anything; I was literally like WTF? :biggrin:

Completely irrelevant but i thought id share :smile:

I'd be a bit dubious of anything with sedative properties. I'd rather go in with 30,000 thoughts flying through my head, 29,000 of which are anxiety monologues than go into an exam half asleep. No matter how nervous I am; at least I'm still thinking at the very least. Some sedatives almost knock me out.

But if you tested it beforehand; that's ok. One of the biggest disasters I had in my GCSEs was taking the advice of a friend and started drinking coffee every morning. It worked fine for him; he said it woke him up, helped him to focus. But for me I pretty much emulated the squirrel from Over The Hedge (not in a good way), I remember in one of my English papers, I wrote something like 15 pages of A4 in 2 hours. And a lot of it was probably garbage. My body wasn't used to caffeine, and as a result I did worse. Perhaps caffeine may have worked for me had my body been used to it beforehand. So, spur of the moment ideas during exams or any period of assessment is a big no-no in my opinion.
Reply 891
Original post by laurie:)
*hi 5*

sometimes psych just makes me want to drill my biro into the back of my hand...

My teacher makes us do 8 paragraphs per essay, 30 mins each, 8 psychologists for each over and over again! The essays always feel like a little mini arguement with yourself..
Reply 892
Original post by jack0893
I've had to do exactly the same thing :smile: Not looking forward to 8th March. Will just drive home if my results are bad

After my hysterics in August, me and my friend both decided its for the best if she opens it :biggrin: I always see the worst in things :rolleyes:
Reply 893
Original post by Jessca
My teacher makes us do 8 paragraphs per essay, 30 mins each, 8 psychologists for each over and over again! The essays always feel like a little mini arguement with yourself..

i wish i had that structure! my teachers just give us the title and a week to do it, and leave it to us. then when they mark them, they mark them down without telling you why, so its just guesswork when it comes to improving on them :sigh:
Reply 894
I AM GONNA FAILLLLLLLLLL:frown: noooooooooo and i want to be a Doctor :
Reply 895
Original post by laurie:)
i wish i had that structure! my teachers just give us the title and a week to do it, and leave it to us. then when they mark them, they mark them down without telling you why, so its just guesswork when it comes to improving on them :sigh:

oh its still guesswork with us - we all do basically the same thing but I will tend to get an A and my friend next to me a C and we wrote ours together! We think my teacher marks based on who she likes the most :tongue:
Reply 896
Original post by Jessca
oh its still guesswork with us - we all do basically the same thing but I will tend to get an A and my friend next to me a C and we wrote ours together! We think my teacher marks based on who she likes the most :tongue:

when we first stepped up from 12 markers to 24 markers, they didnt tell us how much extra we'd need to write, or how different our writing styles were, so i had to make it up as i went along.

i love psych so much, but some days it really does my head in.

and they keep going on about those stupid top marks for the A* when tbh i just want to know how to write for an A!
Original post by themedicalgeek
I am not sure if that is the name but this stuff comes it a liquid which when taken calms you down (supposedly). Yeah most of it is prob psychological :biggrin:

I'll check it out one day. I went town today as well and to the shop its meant to be sold at, but just couldnt be bothered to look or ask so i just left it lol

Original post by Llewellyn
I'd be a bit dubious of anything with sedative properties. I'd rather go in with 30,000 thoughts flying through my head, 29,000 of which are anxiety monologues than go into an exam half asleep. No matter how nervous I am; at least I'm still thinking at the very least. Some sedatives almost knock me out.

But if you tested it beforehand; that's ok. One of the biggest disasters I had in my GCSEs was taking the advice of a friend and started drinking coffee every morning. It worked fine for him; he said it woke him up, helped him to focus. But for me I pretty much emulated the squirrel from Over The Hedge (not in a good way), I remember in one of my English papers, I wrote something like 15 pages of A4 in 2 hours. And a lot of it was probably garbage. My body wasn't used to caffeine, and as a result I did worse. Perhaps caffeine may have worked for me had my body been used to it beforehand. So, spur of the moment ideas during exams or any period of assessment is a big no-no in my opinion.

I generally am not nervous at all during an exam. For my Core 3 exam that I sat in Jan though i was stressing quite a bit before the exam and it meant that i made one silly mistake in the exam (probably gonna cost me my A* tho :frown:) Obviously it's best to try this kinda stuff out before in like a mock exam or something and see if it works. if it does then use it for the exam, if it doesnt stay away from it!
I'm dreading results day, I'm in Year 13 (A2) and waiting for:

- OCR Maths Core 3
- OCR Maths Decision 1
- OCR Physics A- The Newtonian World
- OCR Chemistry B Salters- Chemistry of Materials

Last year I got:

- Physics AS Level: 248 UMS = A
- Chemistry AS Level: 247 UMS = A
- Maths AS Level: 232 UMS = B+

And I need 3 A's this year to get into the University of Birmingham to do Physics! I just really want to get there!
Original post by Holby_fanatic
I'm in year 13 and awaiting results in HB2 Biology re-sit, C2 Maths re-sit, BY4 Biology, CH4 Chemistry and G484 Physics.

How about yourself? :smile:

I'm in year 12 and i'm waiting for F321 Chemistry A (OCR) and BY1 Biology (WJEC). What grades are you hoping to get? Before the exams, I was really hoping for AA/ A-chem B-Biol. But the way they exams went i'm anticipating a B in chem and like a C or D in Biol which is incredibly disappointing. I put so much effort in, and that's not even the whole story. I'm pretty down about all of it at the moment and feel worthless with no future.

Quick Reply

Latest