The Student Room Group

Worth asking uni to defer again on results day?

I’ve already asked them just to clarify. However I haven’t heard back so I assume it’s because admissions isn’t responding atm. Also the uni I applied to has given 2024 deferred entry to some students who applied for 2023 entry to medicine probably due to not enough spaces, and some of them have gotten their offers changed to 2023 so on results day do you think it would be worth asking to defer if I get the grades since the uni already has quite a few 2023 app students deferred anyway, and those students can be given 2023 entry? (So it’s not an issue of letting too many students suddenly defer on results day as there’s already students in that position who want to start in 2023)?
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by M_A564
I’ve already asked them just to clarify. However I haven’t heard back so I assume it’s because admissions isn’t responding atm. Also the uni I applied to has given 2024 deferred entry to some students who applied for 2023 entry to medicine probably due to not enough spaces, and some of them have gotten their offers changed to 2023 so on results day do you think it would be worth asking to defer if I get the grades since the uni already has quite a few 2023 app students deferred anyway, and those students can be given 2023 entry? (So it’s not an issue of letting too many students suddenly defer on results day as there’s already students in that position who want to start in 2023)?

Sounds like Liverpool with the shifting back and forth. Its how they manage their waitlist and offer threshold effectively. They give deferred offers to a good number of people every year.

If so, and given their flex anyway you may stand a better chance than a med school that doesnt behave in this way.

However, not sure what difference results day will make. If you want to defer then i would speak to them now. They get results a week or so before you do, and the med schools kind of go into hibernation between the time they get them and results day and they will be making their decisions then. So ask now is my advice.

Hope it works for you whatever you decide.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by GGIN
Sounds like Liverpool with the shifting back and forth. Its how they manage their waitlist and offer threshold effectively. They give deferred offers to a good number of people every year.

If so, and given their flex anyway you may stand a better chance than a med school that doesnt behave in this way.

However, not sure what difference results day will make. If you want to defer then i would speak to them now. They get results a week or so before you do, and the med schools kind of go into hibernation between the time they get them and results day and they will be making their decisions then. So ask now is my advice.

Hope it works for you whatever you decide.

Ok thanks I’ll go and ask them. And yes you’re right it’s Liverpool lol. By the way do you think that desiring more time to financially prepare for life at uni is an acceptable reason for Liverpool admissions to let you defer? I can’t find much information on their website regarding deferring for med and when I asked them a while back they said they treat these requests on a case by case basis so I’m not sure.
Reply 4
Original post by M_A564
Ok thanks I’ll go and ask them. And yes you’re right it’s Liverpool lol. By the way do you think that desiring more time to financially prepare for life at uni is an acceptable reason for Liverpool admissions to let you defer? I can’t find much information on their website regarding deferring for med and when I asked them a while back they said they treat these requests on a case by case basis so I’m not sure.

I have no idea I am afraid. You can but ask.

If its for a reason you couldnt foresee I might imagine them being more open to it. So if there was a reason money for you and yours tighter than expected yoj could mention that.

Also, if you were goung to be working in a hospital or a care home or something that would continue and support your passion and knowledge of medicine and at the same time raise money to support hour edication then I guess that might be worth flagging too.

They are busy I would imagine, so you might need to be persistent. So email then poss follow up with a call ? Be clear if its a what if, or a I want to ...

I dont have any great insight, but that is what I would try. Good luck.
Reply 5
Original post by GGIN
I have no idea I am afraid. You can but ask.

If its for a reason you couldnt foresee I might imagine them being more open to it. So if there was a reason money for you and yours tighter than expected yoj could mention that.

Also, if you were goung to be working in a hospital or a care home or something that would continue and support your passion and knowledge of medicine and at the same time raise money to support hour edication then I guess that might be worth flagging too.

They are busy I would imagine, so you might need to be persistent. So email then poss follow up with a call ? Be clear if its a what if, or a I want to ...

I dont have any great insight, but that is what I would try. Good luck.

Thank you for the help
Reply 6
Original post by M_A564
Thank you for the help

Sorry about my shocking typing ! Hadnt realised it was so bad ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending