The Student Room Group

SURVEY: Which are the hardest or easiest subjects to study at uni?

Please rate your course within a scale of 1-5 where 1 is easiest, and 5 is hardest.

Also state why it is hard or easy and how much time you generally spend studying it in your free time.

Example:

Engineering: 5
Reasons: Blah Blah and Blah
Avg Study time: Scale of 1-5, 1 is not much time, and 5 is most of my life.:eek:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this post has not been published yet?
Reply 2
Surely that would depend on a person's academic strengths. Someone with a good maths ability is probably going to find something like English literature or history fairly hard, whereas a historian would struggle with maths or physics. Obviously it's not as simplistic as that, but generally. Or it might just be down to the person's overall academic ability, I mean, I find my course a lot easier than some of my friends.
Reply 3
How is this a survey?:confused:
Reply 4
TheOneWho
Surely that would depend on a person's academic strengths. Someone with a good maths ability is probably going to find something like English literature or history fairly hard, whereas a historian would struggle with maths or physics. Obviously it's not as simplistic as that, but generally. Or it might just be down to the person's overall academic ability, I mean, I find my course a lot easier than some of my friends.

This is true... I'm a Historian and literally fail at Maths :'(
Reply 5
Alcohol I'd say is the easiest subject to study. Some sort of education would be hardest.

Not everyone can handle either of them.
Reply 6
Just to go on a tangent for a second here, a person who studies History is a Historian, yes?

So what would someone who studies English Language be?
Reply 7
Kaykiie
Just to go on a tangent for a second here, a person who studies History is a Historian, yes?

An English linguist? :erm:
Reply 8
This is kinda hard to analyse since everyone has different strengths and weaknesses both academically and physically - and there is also nothing for an individual to compare his/her course with. For example, someone who studies psychology won't know what it's like to study Geography, regardless of how difficult such a person finds their own course.

A census might even conclude that one particular degree course was "harder" than any other, yet some individuals might excel in a particular a subject to such a degree that would make such a census moot.
Reply 9
What a joke of a thread and of a survey. Congratulations, OP, for presenting a chance for the academic bigots to come out of the woodwork!
Kaykiie

A writer
I don't think there is an easiest and hardest subject at University. Hmmm... I'm still wondering about that Surf Studies one though.
captnibby1234
Please rate your course within a scale of 1-5 where 1 is easiest, and 5 is hardest.

Also state why it is hard or easy and how much time you generally spend studying it in your free time.

Example:

Engineering: 5
Reasons: Blah Blah and Blah
Avg Study time: Scale of 1-5, 1 is not much time, and 5 is most of my life.:eek:

TBH I think this is a bit of a moot point, if your only there to do as little work as possible you should not be there studying for a degree in the first place!
Reply 13
I agree with some earlier posters. What constitues "hard" is highly subjective and just because a course is hard in one uni wont mean it is hard in another uni though the content may be similar. I did a degree in biochemistry and found it insanely hard yet interesting. I found it hard because I struggle in closed exams yet excell in open essays/presentations and projects. This combined to give me an avaerage grading at the end and I personally felt that I could have got a higher grading in an arts degree due to the way my mind works. Though this is irrelevant as having a degree in a subject that is genereally acknowledged as being difficult from a respected university has meant that I have got onto a postgrad course with less than the required classification of degree.
Reply 14
Kaykiie

Unemployed :yep:
Reply 15
1 Media Studies
Reply 16
I'd think (ignorantly perhaps) that non arts subjects are easiest because it's either you know the answer or you don't unlike arts subjects where you have to expand, argue for/against your argument etc.
Reply 17
Some subjects have a lot more contact time but then those with little contact time have a fair bit of reading. It is difficult to judge, but from my experience sciences, medicine, maths and engineering courses seem to have a higher workload in terms of constant assignments, whereas english or history students seem to get the odd large essay.
Reply 18
Diaz89
I'd think (ignorantly perhaps) that non arts subjects are easiest because it's either you know the answer or you don't unlike arts subjects where you have to expand, argue for/against your argument etc.

This works in both ways, an English student can skim over a text noting a few key points and then blag an essay, whereas a maths student will score very poorly if they haven't practiced or taken time to understand the material.
Reply 19
It's entirely subjective. I could say how difficult I found my course, and how many contact hours I did; but I couldn't give it a ranking because that implies that I have the ability to compare it to how I'd cope on other courses, which I don't.
All I know is that the only courses I'd have been guaranteed to fail at university would've been drama and music.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending